Is paris really a city for lovers

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 07:42 AM
liane

Is paris really a city for lovers

Im planning to go there with my boyfriend in March and wonder if it is a romantic city or not.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 07:51 AM
xx

When we are there we see a lot of "lovers" in parks walking hand and hand and kissing! Looks like love to me! If you love food is certainly is the city of LOVE!

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 08:05 AM
Bob Brown

I am not convinced that Paris is anymore of a lovers' city than any other. I for one think Parisian food is vastly overrated. I have enjoyed meals in Austria, even small restaurants, more than much of what I have eaten in Paris.

I am not sure I know what a romantic city is. But wading in Parisian dog poop never did turn me on!!
Or if an accordian player who pops on the Metro and starts playing for handouts is romantic, then you have a romantic moment. One jumped on the car I was on and starting serenading.
I thought he was good, so I handed him a few euro coins. He started playing
a few ditties from musical comedies on the subject of "when you are in love, ..."
If that is romantic, then I guess I was in the right spot.
But eating raw fish does not get me charged up. If I rile up a few Francophiles with these comments, so be it. They need to rethink their position.
Even the pastries are better in Vienna.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 08:45 AM
lover

YES

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 08:56 AM
Amour

You will fall in love with Paris . . . and with your boyfriend all over again.

Unlike cities in the U.S.--and perhaps elsewhere in the world--I've found that people in Paris don't snicker at, or have disdain for, public displays of affection. Instead, they cherish them.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 09:03 AM
xxx

My husband and I decided to buy a bottle of French champagne to enjoy on our hotel balcony one evening. He went off down the street to a little market we had seen earlier in the day.

When he arrived back with the champagne he mentioned that he did not have enough francs to buy it. So how did he wind up with it? The shop keeper smiled, said "L'amour!" and told him in English that he could have it anyway.

*Sigh*

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 10:01 AM
sandra

I found Paris to be romantic because I was there with my husband. I also find, Newport, NYC, Stamford and even Bangor to be romantic when we are there together. I think that the illusion of Paris is romantic. Moonlight cruises. Eiffel Tower at Night and the fact it was our honeymoon spot made it romantic.
When I travel to PAris with my mother is it romantic ? Not for me but when I see other honeymoon couples or take a photo for others . It brings back memories and then I feel the romance of it all over again. We did the same thing in Paris we do at home we slept, we ate , we walked and somehow in Paris it was magical.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Diane Mac

Yes...Paris is romantic. The pace is slow, people seem kind to one another, the parks and cafes are full of people of all ages holding hands, kissing, embracing. It's contagious. Our first time there a month ago and we loved it.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 10:15 AM
Poodle

Paris is overrated, in general.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 10:18 AM
lizbeth

I agree with Diane Mac that one does see people of all ages demonstrating affection in Paris. One thing I also noticed is that there were many more couples, of various ages, sitting engaged in intense conversation and totally absorbed in each other, in just about all the restaurants I went to.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 10:24 AM
Amy

Yes...I went there with my mom on a mother-daughter excursion, and while we had plenty of fun, both of us wished we were with husband/boyfriend instead. It is the only place I've been that I've felt that way!