Is Normandy to far from Paris?

Jul 5th, 2000, 04:25 PM
Karen

Is Normandy to far from Paris?

How far is Normandy from Paris? Too much for a day trip?

Jul 5th, 2000, 05:18 PM
Beth Anderson

hi

well, it is a three or so hour drive, so it depends on what you want to see there I suppose. I would give it more than one single day, to be sure. Even just an overnighter is too short.

what do you want to see in Normandy? the beaches?

Jul 5th, 2000, 05:50 PM
Debra

No, it's not too far. Get a map though, because the main sights are 30-40 miles from each other. But we were too tired to drive. We took a bus tour, which was fine. Next time we'd like to go for a few days.

Jul 5th, 2000, 06:04 PM
elvira

Cityrama and ParisVision both run day tours via bus to the D-Day beaches; one of them does do a looong day trip to Mont St Michel. You can drive it, but it's so long you'll be exhausted. Take the bus tour!

Jul 6th, 2000, 06:08 AM
Ruth

You can also take the train to Caen or Bayeux and get a local tour. The Peace Memorial in Caen runs tours and there's also tours available in Bayeux. We didn't use those, so can't comment on quality, but if you do a search on Normandy on this site you should get info as it's been discussed before. But go--it's a memorable experience.

Jul 7th, 2000, 11:29 AM
Christina

Normany is a big area so it depends where you want to go and what you want to see. There are certainly towns in Normandy quite close to Paris, as it borders the Ile de France (the small region containing Paris)--like Rouen and Giverny, Monet's home; Giverny is only about an hour and Rouen less than two hours from Paris by train.

Jul 8th, 2000, 03:56 PM
Sandi

Karen,

I was recently in France for a two-week tour, and my favorite of the Normandy beaches was Point Du Hoc. It is a very dramatic sight with many German bunker remains and huge shell holes on the grounds. Omaha was my second favorite. Also, the Mont St. Michel is a beautiful place to visit. To see it illuminated at night is the best. Just wanted to share my opinions with you. Enjoy your trip!

Sandi