Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is non-view table at Jules Verne worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 07:32 AM
Garth

I don't mean to sound shallow during this time of sorrow but without our upcoming trip to focus on...it all seems too much. <BR> <BR>We have a table booked (for lunch) at Jules Verne. We were told that all window tables are booked through late November. Is it worth the $$ to dine there if you're not sitting next to the window? Can you still see anything from the other tables? Is the fgood good enough to justify a visit without a view? <BR> <BR>Thanks and God bless all.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 08:01 AM
WENDY

TRY HAVING LUNCH AT GEORGES, AT THE POMPIDOU CENTER, YOU WILL HAVE THE BEST VIEW OF THE EIFFEL TOWER, TRENDY PLACE- RESERVE A TABLE WITH A VIEW THERE. NOW THAT'S A VIEW TOO.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 10:02 AM
AGM/Cape Cod

Garth, <BR> Every table has some view at the Jules Verne. We were there for lunch and had a table second in from the window on a row of banquettes. Luck for us the people on the window started earlier than we did and cleared out so we had a view. <BR> Go, have a great time and show them that you can't keep Americans down!

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 10:06 AM
Gretchen

Yes, it is worth it. The restaurant is not "wide" so you can see from anywhere.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 10:09 AM
Grasshopper

OK, so we've got reservations for lunch on Dec. 26th. Keeping in mind it will be cold and wet most likely, what shall we wear? (two women)

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 12:07 PM
Wendy

I have lunched at Jules Verne and would suggest black slacks and a blouse or really nice thin sweater (like casmere weight). There will be some business lunches but you'll mainly encounter tourists from all over.<BR>Have a wonderful time! I will be landing in Paris on the 28th! Can't wait!!

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 05:08 PM
Michael

We ate at the Jules Verne last week. Called them a day before and we were sat at a very nice table next to the window. The place was about 70% full. The food is good but overpriced as you are paying a premium for location. I think you will have a nice view even if you are not next to the window. Eat early and you may have a better chance at a window table if that is important. My guess is that with the decreased number of Americans and Japanese and the off season has cut down the number of patrons. Our lunch with two adults and two children ran about $250.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 06:05 PM
mariacallas

I went to JV for my first time on Nov 16th - PSSShhhhht! Talk about overhyped. I just don't get it. The view was just OK. The service very good. The food - not memorable. I would not go for lunch - heck I wouldn't go at all. There are many many many more wonderful restaurants and I have been to many many of the top restaurants in Paris. Save your money and go to a different restaurant. Take what you have left and go to the opera or the ballet. Really.<BR><BR>Instead I would go to Taillevant, Le Grand Vefour, or L'ambrosie - not the Fermette Marbeauf-blech! I would say I was very very disappointed with JV.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 06:09 PM
Book Chick

mariacallas, what's up with La Fermette Marbeuf? The trip I was going to take in October was cancelled, but we had resies at LFM that had to be cancelled also. Give us the low-down, if you would be so kind.

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 04:23 AM
mariacallas

I just was not impressed. LEt's put it this way, I do not remember what I ate there. It's just not wonderful. IT is supercrowded - slow service. Nice interior-in at least one room but the others are nothing special. I say take your hardearned dollars and go somewhere stellar. <BR><BR>NOw I will only go somewhere in Patricia Well's book - Fool Lovers Guide to Paris.<BR><BR>Granted, she has JV in her book - but I just cannot see why - maybe I ordereed the wrong thing.

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 06:26 AM
No

It's a tourist trap pure and simple. Overpriced ... but if you like tourist traps and overpriced food go for it. Otherwise use your money to a better advantage.

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 06:29 AM
Book Chick

mariacallas, thank you for your opinion. We'll make other arrangements for Paris fine dining!

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 06:35 AM
Genvieve

Over rated and over priced. What's your objective? To eat a great meal or to impress your friends? <BR><BR>I'd opt to go with Wendy's suggestion and eat at the Pompidou Center and get a great view of Paris and the Eiffel Tower......At least your memories will be of a great meal and not the exhorbitant bill you were left with.<BR>

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 06:45 AM
Ursula

I definitely second the "Georges" on the top floor of the Georges Pompidou Center. If you want to go for lunch, go upstairs and book for the hour you want to have lunch. Insist on a table at the window. But even the tables in the middle, have a view. Visit the different exhibitions in the CP and go back to the "Georges" not later than the time you made reservation for. Very trendy and nice food. Also nice for tea. Have a "moelleux" (chocolate cake). It is to die for. It's also open in the evenings, of course, but then, access is by an elevator on the left side of the center's main entrance.<BR>I think CP and "Georges" are closed on Tuesday.

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 06:48 AM
?

this is from September, why are people still answering it?

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 06:52 AM
parislover

Everybody loves to go to Paris all round the year!

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 07:36 AM
Book Chick

Right, parislover, and grasshopper revived the thread to pose a legitimate question about Jules Verne.<BR><BR>Any other questions?

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 07:41 AM
?

ok ok don't get huffy, just that I was wondering about old threads being revived,someone else had a question regarding that...I thought maybe that times were slow and old posts were all that there were to reply to.And as to going to Paris all year round,that I realize, just thought that more up to date posts would suffice if one were going ,say,this month rather than in Sept.

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 07:53 AM
Book Chick

Sorry, ?, I didn't mean to get huffy. I noted in the last week, also, tons of old threads being pulled up, but think this one did get back to us for legitimate reasons. (Can't necessarily say that about all of them, though, so I think you & I may be in agreement on that.) Again, please accept my apology.

Old Dec 1st, 2001, 08:59 PM
carmen

Our family (2 adults, 2 kids) had a fabulous, memorable time at JV. The food was among the best we had in Europe, the service was spectacular, and with long lines for the elevators, it provided a very nice way to spend a couple of hours enjoying the view, instead of waiting in line. One of our most treasured memories from a 6-week trip is the impromptu French lesson my husband received from a very polite JV waiter: he had been saying "Je suis termine" (I am dead) instead of "J'ai termine" (I am finished). We still laugh over that one. They kindly provided a shawl for our over-air-conditioned daughter, and even though our table wasn't right next to the window, our view was wonderful. I'd go again in a heartbeat.<BR>