Search

Is Naples safe?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2000, 09:17 AM
Paulo

Is Naples safe?

Hi, fellows. I'be in Naples next September. I'd like to know the follow: <BR> a) Is it safe by day? What places I should avoid? <BR> b) And by night? <BR> c) Any hits about sights, out of the traditionals? <BR> My best regards. Rio de Janeiro, at 22/07/00

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 03:31 PM
gb

Well, I can't answer this question throughly, but here's my brief experinece. We were with friends who live in Pompei. They were in their car, my family was in our car. The drivers there are as crazy as Rome. We followed our friend from Pompei. As we entered the city, he stopped got out of the car, and told me to put my purse under the seat, and lock all the doors. No one did threaten us, and things looked benign enough. (time of day was about 6pm on a Saturday night). We drove through the city, stopped at several sites, and went on to a home on the northside. He made us park in a guarded underground site. So, although nothing happened to us, a local seemed concern enough to warn us. He didn't warn us in Pompei, which to me as an observer, seems pretty wild too.

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 03:34 PM
gb

PS. He took us to a glorious overlook on the northwest side of the city. From there, you could see all of Naples, with Mt. Vesuvius in the background. Beautiful in the evening light. But, I could not tell you how to find it. It was not too far from the water, up on a hill. There were a lot of people there, and a tiny church. Maybe another poster might know where the spot is?

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 06:55 PM
wendy

Naples was by far my favorite city in Italy. I'm a short, young, solo blonde traveller and had no problems, not even at night. Walk up and down Via Toledo at night and people-watch, or walk along SpaccaNapoli and browse through the stores and booths. Eat lots and lots of pizza, yummmm. But have fun!

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 10:51 AM
richard j vicek

Good evening, Paulo <BR>This is only my personal opinion, but I <BR>feel Naples is suffering from a bum rap <BR>that started many years ago after WWII. <BR>There has been some very positive remarks about Naples on the bulletin <BR>boards earlier this year. I however <BR>have not stayed there, but regret not <BR>doing so...Being observiant of your <BR>surroundings, knowing what is going on around at all times is important, <BR>in Naples or another large city. Don't <BR>make the mistake of inviting problems <BR>carrying handbags or wearing of jewelery. Dress simply and use caution. <BR>Richard of La Grange Park, Il...

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 02:33 PM
Paulo

Thanks to "Gb", "Wendy" and Richard J. Vicek.