Search

Is Mastercard ok to use?

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Mastercard ok to use?

Hello everyone,

I will be traveling to Zurich, Paris, London, and Rome this summer and plan to use my Credit Card as much as possible. I currently have a Visa from Bank of America, but from doing some research I have decided to apply for a Capital One card for my travels.

Is it better for me to get a Visa or Mastercard? I was thinking it would make since to get the Mastercard, as I already have a Visa. But... is Mastercard accepted as widely in these places as the Visa?

Thank you,
Ryan
Old May 6th, 2007, 03:34 PM

MC and Visa are about equally accepted in Europe. AmEx less so (and had higher foreign transaction fees than Cap One).
Old May 6th, 2007, 03:36 PM

Hi Ryan. Two years ago I did exactly what you are contemplating: Get a Capital One card for overseas use.

Last year in Germany and Switzerland I had absolutely no trouble with my Capital One Master Card.

I carried a AAA Visa card as backup, but the only time I used it was to rent a car because of the discount I received from Hertz for being a AAA member.

I would go ahead and get the Capital One card and use it as my primary card to avoid the ridiculous 3% extra BOA tacks on for no value or service added.

I would also consider opening a Capital One Money Market account and acquiring its ATM card for cash withdrawals.

If you have a BOA ATM card be aware that you can clipped $5.00 per usage if you don't use your card at a partner bank like Barclays or Deutsche Bank.

Therefore I suggest opening a money market account with Capital One and also having one of its ATM cards.
Old May 6th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great information, I will look into this. Are Barclays or Deutsche Bank hard to find over there? Or are they pretty standard.
Old May 6th, 2007, 04:20 PM

In France BofA's partner bank is BNP Parabis.
Old May 6th, 2007, 04:45 PM

Bankrate.com gives you a good idea of the foreign transaction fees some of the U.S. banks charge for foreign credit card, debit card and ATM transactions:

www.bankrate.com/brm/news/cc/20050624b1.asp

Old May 6th, 2007, 04:50 PM

hi- whichever card you decide on - call and let them know that you will be using it in multiple countries.
Old May 6th, 2007, 06:37 PM

I'm trying to find a credit card which will not charge this extra 3% fee on top of the exchange rate for using it in a foreign country.

I'm a canadian and I could not find any card that do not charge at least 2.5% extra.

Would anybody know which card from which bank gives you the best deal?
Old May 6th, 2007, 07:11 PM

Taking one of each is a good idea. ....and you can call around and get the lowest fee. Some are "0%" for the bank, but there is always the %1 by MC and Visa (or it use to be).
USAA use to have 0%.
Just be sure and tell them what dates you will be traveling overseas.....as they have a department that keeps track of 'unusual" purchases in "not at home" places. This is to possibly catch any theft. Duh, I guess that is common sense &gt
Old May 6th, 2007, 10:26 PM

bookmarking