Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is London insanely busy week before Xmas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking about going for a few days, but seem to remember that everyone does their shopping that week, and that, like NYC, it's not really the best time to go.

Let me know if that's just completely wrong.
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 09:16 AM

Why go in the winter? No doubt it'll be raining here, the new season's clothes aren't in, the current season's stuff is about to be put into the sales, it's just pointless.

Many attractions will also be closed. Come back in the springtime.
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 09:18 AM

Actually, some people like to go then and experience the wonderful lights, holiday spirit and energy in the streets.
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Not that it's any of your business, but...

I could not care less about the clothes. I live in Northern Ireland, so the weather undoubtably will be better in London than at home. My husband has the week off, and while he's been to London about 25 times, it's always for work so he's never had the time to explore. And it's not pointless because the flights are about 50 pounds each.

Anyone have an actual reply to my question?
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Degas-thank you.
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 09:23 AM

It will be very busy in the shops the week before Xmas. Many businesses organize Xmas dinners for their staff that week; restaurants will be full of drunken office workers wearing funny hats.
If you plan to visit museums and other sights, it will probably be ok that week.
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 09:24 AM

You've answered your own question then, if you don't care about shopping, and you don't care about weather, then what's the hold up?

Old Sep 12th, 2004, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Completely forgot about the wretched office Christmas parties. I always avoid mine. Last time a co-worker vomited on the dance floor, and then kept dancing. Very classy.
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

My hold up is wondering about the crowds. That was my original question. Had nothing to do with the weather.
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 09:29 AM

Crowds where?

In the shops there will be crowds, and as people have to walk on pavements to get to/from the shops, the pavements will also be crowded, and as people use public transport/motor cars the roads will also be crowded. As most of central London is composed of shops, it will be crowded, unless of course you are standing in the middle of Hyde Park in the pouring rain avoiding the turn of the seasons collections.
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 10:08 AM

Ann41, I'm sorry this thread has turned so ugly so quickly. Some people live for shopping and clothes, so they just can't understand why another person might have other valid reasons for travel.

Old Sep 12th, 2004, 10:39 AM

Hi Ann, I've been to London during that time and although it was very busy I enjoyed the christmas shopping. I'm sure you will not find it too insanely busy and it's a lovely time to start collecting christmas tree ornaments, as mentioned on another thread. Have fun
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 10:46 AM

Author: m_kingdom2
Date: 09/12/2004, 01:24 pm
Message: You've answered your own question then, if you don't care about shopping, and you don't care about weather, then what's the hold up?

Are you able to read, m_kingdom? No where did Ann suggest she wanted to shop, and she is quite likely intelligent enough to know about the weather. You obviously don't understand her question, which was simply asking how crowded the city is at that time of year and if so would the crowds affect her ability to have a good time. What a pretentious twit to suggest what her motives should be.
If you would re-read her question perhaps you would be able to understand exactly "what's the hold up".

Ann, I'm curious too and have heard both sides of the story. I've never gone just before Christmas, but I've been told that it is actually a good time to get in nice restaurants and get good theatre tickets (at least during the weekdays) as many locals are busy with their shopping. Also I have seen some really nice hotel deals as the business traffic seems to slow down then.
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 10:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I feel obliged to defend MK2. Ann did talk about "everyone does their shopping that week", so I think it's a reasonable assumption to make that she was interested in shopping. She didn't say what exactly she was interested in.
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 10:57 AM

Yes, but cities are only ever crowded in shopping streets or places nearby to public events. Does she expect every single street to be crowded? I've never had crowds where I live at any time of year.

Shops are where the crowds are, so streets with shops are crowded - the sky isn't.
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 11:04 AM

As I posted on another thread:

Message: Meanwhile, I'm wondering if this thread has been seen by Castleton who says "I don't find MK's comments to be offensive at all".
Or by Tallulah, who loves MK's input because "that's the kind of sense of humour we (Brits) have".

God help us if they both still feel that way.

And since m_kingdom still doesn't get it, there ARE other places besides shops. Will the tube be too crowded to get on (of course, I know you wouldn't know since it is so beneath you to ride it)?
Will the theatres be crowded -- meaning hard to get seats? Will it be difficult to get reservations at restaurants because they are more than usually crowded? Will there be bigger than usual traffic jams from the airport into the city? Will it be impossible to get into the museums because of the crowds?
There are just a couple of examples for those of us whose entire lives don't revolve around shopping. If someone has no idea about any of these things, why would he/she continue to rattle on about how stupid the poster is, just because he/she doesn't understand the post?
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 11:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Patrick, MK2 didn't say the poste was stupid, at least not this time. But, the poster did not say what in London she needs to know about. The poster needs to give more detail if she wants a worthwhile answer.

As it happens, I was in London the week before Christmas last year. The Houses of Parliament were closed, the shops are particulary busy that week. A lot of people come to London before Christmas from other parts of the UK, like N. Ireland, to, well, shop. There were lots of tourists. Heathrow was busy. But it's London, it's always busy.
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 11:16 AM

The tube is always busy at peak times, no exceptions.

Theatre is never ever fully booked unless it's a new show and/or always getting rave reviews.

Museums - the large ones, by their very nature can never be busy as they're such huge spaces.

There's always some traffic in central London, and its levels are fairly consistent depending upon roadworks. Motorway traffic is only ever as a result of accidents, not because there are more people using them (although that by its nature increases the chance of accidents occuring).

All of the above is common sense, and as I've said before, it's only shops that are busy.
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 11:35 AM

Ann41, I love this city but never got the chance to go there right before christmas-I would love to see the lights and the decoration.

If you have a week to go away, do it!

As far as I know, most of the museums are open (you can check the websites, I always do this in advance to see if something is closed, may it be because of the season or because of a renovation...).

As much as I love to shop I perfectly understand if you are not interested-if you want to avoid the crowds I would suggest that you go to museums and attractions very early or very late, check for late night openings, if you can book tickets in advance, do so.

Many restaurants have the partys in back rooms (so is it here), so check and book accordingly.

If you want to do a bit of (window-) shopping (for the lights or the decorations or because you just decided that you want to), do it early and save the lights for the late evening-the streets are empty and you have so much more to see of in the dark.

It may need a bit of planning-but you can certainly have a nice week in London without to much of the crowds!
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 11:35 AM

There are loads of people who disagree with your premise that that xmas is not the time to go to NYC.Most places worth going are crowded,that's part of the fun.NYC is more crowded at XMAS than at any other time of year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -