Reload this Page >

Is London "european" enough???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 10:52 AM
Dave

Been to Paris. Been to Rome, Florence and Venice. <BR> <BR>Seriously condsidering London this year for the first time. <BR> <BR>Question-Is it "european" enough or will I feel like I'm back in the US with a little accent? <BR> <BR>Life long Boston resident. <BR> <BR>Thanks!! <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 11:16 AM
Shanna

Dave, London isn't really much like the US, but it isn't anything like Paris or Rome either, for the most part. My first trip was early '70s when London was Carnaby Street and the Beetles - a very happening place! Now, for me, the attraction is the history. If you like theatre, English history (recognizing it all ran together through the centuries and the English have been everywhere), English literature (my major), you might find London fascinating. My late husband enjoyed the countryside more than London, small villages, pubs, old - old! - buildings, lots of pubs, historic sites, (now closed) public footpaths, pubs. However, he could have spent days in the British Museum and been satisfied. London is very big, cosmopolitan and international - lots of Indians, Arabs, and other former colony citizens. There are neighborhoods that might be considered "quaint" - others at this forum could tell you more. There is much yet I want to see in London, and as much as I love it, it's down the list a bit - I'd go back to Venice, Paris, Rome first and try new places - Budapest, maybe - to be delighted and charmed, or into the English countryside. Still, someone said, if you haven't seen London, . . . .

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 11:16 AM
Ed

Interesting question. <BR> <BR>Having spent a fair amount of time living in New England I've always said on my many visits to London that I feel "at home" there because New England really does have much of the character of a New-England. Boston in particular seems to me to have much London-like character. <BR> <BR>That said, London is a grand city. Whether in North or South America, Asia, or the islands of the pacific, Londow would be worth a visit. <BR> <BR>Like most large cities it has its OWN character ... not necessarily European, not necessarily English, but London. <BR> <BR>Once one has been almost (one hopes only almost) sideswiped by a double-decker because one failed to look right-left-right before crossing the street instead of looking left-right-left ... you won't feel at all at home.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 11:18 AM
Ess

I'm always a little surprised when I hear an English person refer to him- or herself as European, since I never considered England part of Europe. But to answer your question, London is wonderful. It's truly unique, and OLD, so I suppose it's similar to Europe in the antiquity of its culture, and certainly has historical ties to Europe - the Romans were there, the Normans invaded, etc. Lots of cross-cultural pollination I guess. And London is an extremely happening city, fashion and arts wise. Everyone should visit London at least once. Lots to do and see.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 12:41 PM
Dave

Thank you to all who took the time to answer with such detail!! <BR> <BR>Lots to consider-maybe I'll give it a shot! <BR> <BR>Dave

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 01:43 PM
StCirq

I love London, but I do not feel as though I'm in Europe when I'm there. If people aren't speaking a language other than English, and the bread isn't terrific and the local cuisine delightful, I may be somewhere I enjoy, but I'm not in Europe.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 03:58 PM
Not Telling

Hello, Dave, <BR>We have been to Iceland(4X), Spain(2X), Portugal, Austria, France(3X), Andorra, Morrocco, Sweden, Finnland, Italy (3X, The Czech Republic, England (3X), Budapest, China, Taiwan, Brazil, <BR>Mexico, and Canada. <BR> <BR>London, and we spent over 6 weeks there, was one of my least favorite cities. It lacks charm and mystique. <BR> <BR>I much prefer Lisbon, Barcelona, Prague, Budapest, all of Italy or France to London. Sorry, folks. Don't need to bash me. I just wasn't all that impressed.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 04:24 PM
Thyra

I have to agree with the above poster who mentioned that the lure of London is in it's history. I absolutely love London's history, further it is a very clean city and the people in general are a real treat. No, I don't feel like I am in Europe, but I am so enamoured of William the Conquerer, the Princes in the Tower, Westminster Abbey (and all the Plantagenet and Tudor's buried there) that I could stay in London for months and not be bored.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 06:26 PM
Joe

Dave, go to London. It's not like Boston, Paris, Rome, Florence,or Venice. My first trip was to London 21 years ago, and I've been to all the other places, plus Berlin, Prague, Vienna, etc, since. London is extraordinary in the same way as Paris and Florence. You may or may not love it, but you'll be glad you went. Joe

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 11:05 PM
sylvia

I agree with Samuel Johnson, "If you are tired of London you are tired of life." <BR> <BR>Try to avoid the obvious touristy places if you can. There are beautiful and interesting places like the many markets, the Inns of Court etc. <BR>There are many English people who feel themselves to be Europeans as of course pace the "Little Englanders" we are. I felt most European when I was living in the US. <BR>As somebody else pointed out, London is not England or Europe, it's London just as New York is New York and not really typical of the USA.

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 10:19 PM
Amita

London is definitely *not* "the US with a little accent." The city and the people have their own character. I've visited a few times and I did a semester there about ten years ago. The city is much older than anyplace in the US, and a lot of areas feel old, but in a stately sort of way. <BR><BR>There are plenty of quaint buildings, lovely parks (my favorites are St. James Park and Hampstead Heath), great, comfortable pubs, tons and tons of theatre and museums...the list goes on and on. In terms of things to do, it's like New York: you really can't be bored unless you want to be. But there are plenty of things to do to relax, too, like go to a park or sit by the Thames and watch the boats go by. <BR><BR>Let us know if you decide to go. I'm going back myself in September and I can't wait!

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 06:03 AM
Jo Ann

London is a city--it is not a country. It has many wonderful things to see and has much on offer for every interest. But it is not England. I do think it is European but not for most of us who speak English as a 1st language. The allure of a country or city is usually heightened if we must learn another language to participate in its society.<BR><BR>If you want to know England you must see more than London to make a decision. Just as thinking New York City represents all of America--each area has its own charm. A large city is a large city but London has its characters just as any city. Talk to some of the people who live there and also speak English as a 1st language--you may be hard-pressed to find many! London is European enough to still qualify for the term. It's a big city and the real culture is light years away from New York or Boston. It's difficult to judge a country by a city and come up with meaningful information about whether it is proper to consider it european.<BR><BR>See it and enjoy it on its own merit but see the rest of the country (the North particularly) to find out about England.

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 06:49 AM
Disraeli

London: a nation, not a city.<BR> <BR><BR><BR>

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 06:59 AM
Lynn

Oh, for Pete's sake. London is European, as it's in Europe! I have plenty of complaints about London, but certainly not that it's not "European" enough. And London certainly is "England". Yes, it's not exactly like the rest of England, but no town/village/city in England is exactly like the rest of the England, just as no place in the US is exactly like the others. Every place has its own character, charm, and problems.

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 07:00 AM
Judy

Hello, I used to live outside NYC and liked it quite a bit! But I LOVE London! After our last trip there in February, I now like London better than Paris, but it still is realllly close.<BR>I agree with Thyra, part of the big attraction for me, is the HISTORY. I love history.<BR>Yes, go to London! Judy

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 07:04 AM
Rhonda

London-definitely worth many visits but be prepared for a different city from years past.Yes, the history and the smells and the accents. But it seems like to me that in my past few visits to London(proper)-London has been overcome by the Arab shieks and the Japanese businessmen. The typical London male is no longer walking around with the "bolar" hat and umbrella- rather long robes,turbans and too much money. Its sad but the wonderful areas around London still offer the days of old.

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 10:08 PM
Melissa

Well, you could say the same about Paris--or any other major metropolitan city. Still, London is NOT like any city in the US, there's lots to see and a lot of differences to savor. Love it!

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 07:04 AM
Vanessa

If you go to London with an open-mind and really make the effort to learn about the city and all it has to offer, you will love it! But don't go to London expecting Paris, IT'S NOT PARIS! My friend went to Paris and lived there for three months, then went to London for four days to visit and said she hated it. All she kept doing was comparing it to Paris. She liked the "sophistication" of Paris, she is also fluent in french, so of course she loved the language, and the beauty of Parisian buildings.<BR> I on the otherhand, absolutely loved London. I love that it was so laid-back, I loved seeing that it was really an international hub, I really saw that walking down Portobello Road. People from all over the world, dressed however they wanted (not only in the "tragically hip" black worn in Paris).<BR> The architecture in London is so beautiful also, St. Paul's Cathedral is amazing. I really loved the parks too which allow you to slow down and get away from city life for a little while.<BR> Plus, London has the best walking tours! Just about anytime you want, you can go on a guided tour of any part of London. The tours are fun and so informative, and they are very inexpensive as well. Don't get me wrong, I've been to Paris twice and love its manicured sophistication, but London is alive and the people are just so down to earth. Whether you love London or not is really up to you.<BR>

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 07:11 AM
Amy

So Rhonda is unhappy that London is diversifying?<BR><BR>Rhonda, I guess you must have visited London back in the 50s or early 60s, because I've been visiting for the past 20 years, and the main change I've seen is American fast food restaurants popping up everywhere.

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 05:02 AM
kate

I think Ronda must have been staying somewhere near the Edgware Road - "Little Beirut".<BR><BR>Bolar hats??? I think she must have been here sometime before the War.<BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -