Is Lauterbrunnen central for most tourist(Scenic) excursions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2019, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning Swiss Alps for a family trip for a 7/8 nights. We are more interested in the Alps scenucbeUty rather than the major cities of Geneva or Zurich and furthermore interested in doing day trips from a base location and offcourse the highly rated mountain train trips, waterfalls , lakes, gondola rides etc

Our plan is 2 stay for 4 nights in Lauterbrunnen or Wengen and cover as much as possible like Jungfrau, Schilthorn, Golden pass, Glacier express

+

3 nights in Lucerne to cover Gotthard panorama exp, Mt Pilatus, Titlis, Rigi. Can I cover these from Lauterbrunnen/Wengen or should i come to Lucerne after the first 4 days
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 05:52 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Lauterbrunnen is a transport hub of sorts and makes a great base from which to explore the Berner Oberland and Jungfrau region.

Not so much for the Golden Pass, which starts in Lucerne and ends Montreux.
We took the Golden Pass years ago, and frankly, we thought it paled in comparison to other scenic trains in Switzerland.

You will see plenty of spectacular scenery right out your door in the Berner Oberland and on your journey throughout Switzerland, no need to add an extra train ride!

Lucerne is a good base for the other items on your list, but no, I would not try to do it all from Lauterbrunnen. Breaking up your stay between the two bases makes complete sense.

Last edited by Melnq8; Sep 13th, 2019 at 06:04 AM.
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 09:24 AM

Pilatus, Rigi and Titlis are indeed best done from Luzern(Pls, note correct spelling!).

Gotthard-Panorama Express and Glacier Express are not day trips, but long distance travel. You can do one of each or parts of both on your way from Milano to Wengen or Luzern.
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 10:51 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
German spelling: Luzern

English and French spelling: Lucerne
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 02:15 PM

Definitely split your time between Lucerne and Lauterbrunnen. Lots to see in either place. We found Lauterbrunnen an ideal base, using the trains and cable cars to get around the area. From memory, on our last visit we had five nights at Lauterbrunnen and three in Lucerne.
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 05:37 PM
kja

I agree that it would make sense to split yoru time: Lauterbrunnen for Jungfrau, Schilthorn, etc.; Lucerne for Mt Pilatus, Titlis, Rigi, and Lucerne itself.
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 09:46 PM

Hi asimm,

Do you intend to do the entire eight hours (from Zermatt to Chur) of the Glacier Express from one of your bases? I don't think that's a very good idea.

It takes 2h45 to get from Lauterbrunnen to Zermatt, and 3h50 to get from Chur back to Lauterbrunnen; that day would end up being about 16h30 sitting passively inside a train watching stuff go by the windows. It is marginally shorter doing it from Luzern. The trip from Luzern to Zermatt is about 3h20, and 2h to get back from Chur to Luzern; so that day will be about 13h30 or longer sitting passively on trains. To me, that is counterproductive. It is far better imo to be outside enjoying the Alpine landscape first-hand, with the sun (or rain, lol) on your face and the wind in your hair.

There are so many great things to see and do at either the Jungfrau region or in and around Luzern that you don't need to put yourself through 13 or 15 hours of this. If doing the Glacier Express is a priority, you may want to do only a portion of it, or you may want to re-arrange your trip for bases in Zermatt and in the Engadin instead.

Oh, and btw, I adore the Golden Pass scenery; I think it's the second most beautiful scenic train route in Switzerland, second only to the Bernina. I've done it often and will do it again in Oct. I love the way the landscape changes as it moves from the Pre-Alps to the dramatic high Alps.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 01:33 AM
Original Poster

@Melnq8 - yes the English version is spelled as Lucerne

All suggestions indicate to drop the Glacier express, as this is far from our bases and agreed that instead of having a very long day and travelling for too long, its better to explore the near ares which still has a lot to offer

How can i add Bernina express to my trip. I would be entering Switzerland via Venice/Florence side. Would it be a better idea to cover it from Tirano or should i reach my base (Lauterbrunnen) first and then do the Bernina express

With the above route, Lauterbrunnel should be my first base and then Lucerne, right ?
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 05:14 AM

" With the above route, Lauterbrunnel should be my first base and then Lucerne, right ?"

Luzern should come first.

"Would it be a better idea to cover it from Tirano or should i reach my base (Lauterbrunnen) first and then do the Bernina express'

Better from Tirano as you're coming from Italy.

See your other topic for detailed answer.
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 05:46 AM

Hi again,

Where/how are you departing Switzerland? If you are flying out from Zürich airport, I would stay in Luzern close to the departure date. In fact, there are direct trains from Luzern to the airport that take about an hour, so it's a good choice for your last night.

So that means you would hit the Jungfrau area first. Yes, that means a longer travel day getting there, but for me, I'd rather be well positioned for my departure....

Have fun!

s
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 09:14 AM

Lauterbrunnen Valley is a cul-de-sac far away from most places in Switzerland (like Zermatt-Matterhorn, Glacier Express, Bernina Express, Golden Pass, Chillon castle, Gruyeres castle, Lakes Geneva, Maggiore, Lugano, Como, Rhin Falls etc),
but it's a good base for day trips in the Bernese Jungfrau area (like Schilthorn, Jungfraujoch, Maennlichen, First, Schynige Platte, Grosse and Kleine Scheidegg, Lakes Thun and Brienz,Oberhofen Casstle, St. Beatus Caves, Brienzer Rothorn, Ballenberg, Aar Gorge, Trift Bridge, Funicular to Lake Gelmesee........
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 09:47 AM

If you come from Milan and want to trvael via Bernina, it's obvious to do the Bernina leg first, may be like this:
Day 1;
Milan dp 7.20 - Tirano ar 9.52, dp by Bernina Express 10.07 - Pontresina ar 12.25 - St. Moritz ar 12.36.
Go by gondola to one of the Glaciers of the Bernina chain (Diavolezza or Corvatsch) or enjoy the mountain lakes of St. Moritz, Champfer -Silvaplauna or Sils.
Sleep in the area.
Day 2:
Leave St. Moritz at 10.20 by Glacier Express (with dining car) to Andermatt ar 14.52 and change there to a Swiss Postbus via Susten Pass to Meiringen ar 18.10. Go on by train to Interlaken ar 18.55 and Wengen
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 10:01 AM

" Milan dp 7.20 - Tirano ar 9.52, dp by Bernina Express 10.07"

I wouldn't risk that short connection time in Tirano. Italian trains are not as punctual as Swiss trains. When I took a morning train from Milano to Tirano(probably this 7:20) our train was 30 minutes delayed on arrival to Tirano.

If you're starting from Venice or Florence I recommend you to travel to Tirano on the 1st day, (arrival in the evening is fine since there isn't much to see or do in Tirano), and spend the night there, than you can start the Bernina Express next morning well rested and without any hassle.
Old Sep 15th, 2019, 12:22 AM

" I wouldn't risk that short connection time in Tirano."
You would risk nothing at all. The next Bernina bound train leaves Tirano at 11.00, with arrival at St. Moritz at 13.11 (Chur ar 15.03).
A Trenitalia train arriving at Tirano 30 min late is a big exception, but if you don't trust Italian railways, you may leave Venice at 15.20 by direct (Swiss) train (no change at Milan) to Lugano ar 19.30, sleep there (Hotel Montarina or so) and go on the next day by (Swiss) Bernina Express bus Lugano dp 10.00 to Tirano (1 hr lunch stop) and then by Bernina Express to either St. Moritz ar 16.19 or Chur ar 18.19.
From Chur you can reach Wengen (ar 23.41) along the boring itinerary via Zurich or through te Alps (Oberalp Pass - Furka Pass - Grimsel Pass, from June 20th until Oct 10th) with arrival at Wengen in the aftrnoon.
Or leave the Bernina Express at Thusis and go on by bus via San Bernardino to Bellinzona ar 20.20.
The next day, you can leave Bellinzona at 10.11 via Locarno - scenic Centovalli railway - Domodossola - Swiss Postbus - Simplon Pass - Brig - scenic Loetschberger train to Spiez ar 15.44.
Old Oct 18th, 2019, 03:34 AM

If you want to visit Wengen, Murren, Grindelwald, then - yes. But if you want to visit more of Switzerland, I think Interlaken has better connections to everywhere