Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it worth renting a car while in the Amalfi coast?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 05:04 PM
elva

We are a party of five trying to decide whether to rent a car at the airport and drive to Positano where we will be staying or pay for a hotel transfer and rent on a daily basis. The transfer and three daily rentals will cost me almost as much as a car for six days but, is it worth it given the stories about the roads and the problems with parking?

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 05:27 PM
sandy

I do not recommend renting a car. Most hotels will arrange a transfer for you to the hotel, and the you can also arrange transportation to wherever it is that you wish to go. Usually, if you get a van and driver and five of you split the cost, it shouldn't be that much -- unless all five are your family you are paying everyone! The roads are notoriously dangerous, Italian drivers are insane, and the poor driver has to kep his eyes on the road and miss the incredible scenery! And parking is really a problem.On the other hand, a client of mine just got back from there -- he rented a car in Naples and drove to Ravello -- was there for 4 days -- and back to Rome! He said he did real well.

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 05:56 AM
topper

!

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 06:45 AM
topper

Old Sep 2nd, 2000, 07:11 AM
Patrick

We drove the coast and had no problems, in fact, preferring the freedom. The drive along the coast was infinitely less scarey than the drive on 101 north from San Francisco to Mendocino! The worst transportation problem we had was the day we took a boat from Positano to Amalfi for the day, the weather turned bad, and we almost couldn't back. Boats were cancelled and the busses were totally filled up with dozens of people trying to get on them. We finally did what the local did --we shoved our way onto a bus and managed to get back to Positano. Parking was never really a problem, but you need to expect to park in a pay lot, not along the street.

Old Sep 2nd, 2000, 01:40 PM
M&J

We, a party of four, travelled by train from Rome to Sorrento. Then we rented a car for a day to drive the Amalfi Coast, stopping frequently for the views and the towns. Unfortunately due to road construction, we had to drive back at night---a horror !. <BR>The cars are stick shift. <BR>Make sure that before you leave the rental lot, you know how to locate reverse----with ours, it was push down the gear shift and ram it to the right and back..... <BR>

Old Sep 2nd, 2000, 02:00 PM
Elsa

We went to the Amalfi coast in April, and took a limo (sent by the hotel in Positano) for about $100 from Naples airport to the hotel. It was nice to have the driver waiting there for us, and not to have to try to communicate with the driver and dicker about the fare. <BR> <BR>We always rent a car, but because of some of the posts on the Forum re parking, crazy Italian drivers (not that my husband is much better - boys will be boys no matter what country - sorry guys), and narrow roads we decided to get around by bus. It worked out just fine, and my husband also got to enjoy the drive to Amalfi, Ravello, and Vietri sul Mare. <BR> <BR>Elsa

Old Sep 4th, 2000, 09:59 AM
Betsy

We have driven around the Amalfi Coast on several occasions with a rental car. We have not had any trouble and will definitely rent a car the next time we are there. My husband & I both love to drive around Europe and enjoy the narrow, picturesque roads. If you get nervous driving on narrow & windy roads, you may not want to rent a car. It is sometimes difficult to park, but we've always been able to find a place and walk to the center of town. No matter how you get around, have a wonderful trip in this fabulous part of the world!!