Is it worth it to go to Bari?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2010, 08:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My hubby and I are taking our first trip to Italy, and we have 10 days, split between Rome and Sorento. (we think). My mother was born in Bari and moved to US as a youth; we thought it might be neat to see, but not sure if it is worth the trip for a day from Sorento? Will there be much to do or see?
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 09:38 PM

I can see wanting to see it because of your mother, but I was not impressed with Bari. We only went there to catch the over night ferry from Italy to Croatia after exploring Greece with our RV. ( A few photos here):

http://www.soultravelers3.com/2007/0...-italy-cr.html

It was just one long day there & I'm sure there is something to see in Bari, but it certainly is not Rome or Sorento or an impressive Italian town in any way.

That said, you may have a very different take based on your history. It seems like it might be fun to walk around in any foreign land where a parent was born and spent her youth in. It was fun to watch the fisherman and workers at the harbor, even for us.

I'd probably go, just because it may be your only chance, but don't have your expectations too high.
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 03:41 AM

Can you manage to stay overnight?

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...d-opposite.cfm
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 06:18 AM

It's a bit of a hike from Sorrento - perhaps four hours drive?

But in answer to your question... no, Bari isn't really worth a special trip. It's a large, industrial city with few points of interest and straggling, unattractive suburbs. Even if you were holidaying in Puglia, Bari would be somewhere you'd bypass on the way out from the airport. The only good thing to see really is the Cathedral as they have the body of St Nicholas (that's right - Santa Claus!).

I have a house in Puglia, and only ever venture to Bari when I want to visit a big DIY store or Ikea ;-)
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 06:31 AM

Sorry, that sounded really negative. If you wanted to make the most of a trip there, I would be tempted to stay in a nice coastal town overnight such as Polignano al Mare, which is about 30 mins drive south of Bari, or Trani, to the north, and then visit Bari for a few hours during the day. Polignano is lovely.

But it's quite a long way from Sorrento or Rome, and you would need a car.
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 06:32 AM

Bari is of course worth seeing, like almost every town or place all over Italy. There are two absolutely world-class Romanesque cathedrals there, and a picturesque city center, so if you want to go because of your family history, don't hesitate. (Of course, the trip from Sorrento is quite time-consuming and possibly exhausting, and there are other great sights anywhere in this amazing country, so few people would probably go from Sorrento to Bari just because of those two - however great - churches. But in combination with exploring your family history, why not?) Bear in mind, though, that Bari has a reputation as a petty-crime afflicted city. When I toured the historic center (narrow, pedestrianized lanes) with a friend, it was a bit scary when two tall brawny guys in blue jeans and on heavy motorbikes overhauled and stopped us, pointing to our photo cameras: "You cannot walk about like this here, cameras around your neck. This is a dangerous city, you have to pack the cameras into your bags and watch out." And then, reading our dopey faces: "We are police officers. We're responsible for your safety." This was many years ago, admittedly, but what I'm reading (also on Fodor's) Bari hasn't changed much since that time.
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 08:05 AM

no, don't go to Bari unless you really want to see your mother's birth city. It will disappoint you and you will be exhausted from the long trip ( Sorrento - Naples - Bari _ naples - Sorrento ).