Is it worth a day trip to Cinque Terre

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Florence and interested in going to CT for a day or an overnight. If we are not hikers; is it worth the side trip for an overnight? Other places you might recommend? Is Liberation day a day that places are closed in Italy?
thanks
Marilyn
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 04:17 PM

We did a quick over-night and most of the next day in CT and I'm so glad we did - we're not hikers either, took the train from town to town and walked one short, flat stretch between two of the towns on the way back. Just wandering the streets, snacking, taking pictures, dipping our toes in the water - it was my most-pictures-per-hour day of my two weeks in Italy.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you txgirlinbda; I believe you just decided for me! I think my heart will ache with regret if I don't visit there!

Mare
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 05:24 PM

Hi Marilyn --

If you can squeeze out 2 nights to spend there, I think you'll be even happier.

There is a lovely, paved walk suitable for just about anybody between Riomaggiore and Manarola. It's a gentle walk with extremely memorable views.

Not sure about Liberation Day... sorry.

Enjoy!
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 05:31 PM

Oh, I'm so excited!! I made people SO sick and tired when I got home, 'Cinque Terre this' and 'Cinque Terre that' - I couldn't shut up about it!! We didn't even plan on spending the night at first - we stopped to have a look around for a few hours and we were in a bar chatting with some people and the next thing you know, the bartender was calling a friend of his sister's, who had a room she rented out, and was 50 euro for the two of us too much? and if we wanted, we could just leave our bags at the bar the next day after we checked out while we were exploring - everyone was so wonderful? See, I'm doing it again!! Have a great time!!
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 07:22 PM

Not worth it if you make it only a day trip but a full day and spending a night - definitely worth it. If you don't hike then take the train or boat to each village to explore - it's a nice full day and you will be so glad you did this. I suggest overnighting in Vernazza. It's very very crowded during the day but by about 4:30 the crowds dwindled and it was heavenly.
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks txgirlinbda, hlockel, and caroltis! Your input has been so helpful and I am so appreciative!

I just double over reading your comments txgirlinbda... you sound just like me..I am always trying to sell people to go to a favorite spot of mine too and carry on just like you! too funny!

Mare