Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it safe to travel with a camcorder in Italy and France?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 10:48 AM
DeAnn

Any experiences out there? thanks!

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 11:27 AM
Calvin

"Safe" in what way?

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 11:35 AM
Richard

DeAnn, Not sure how you define "safe", but in regards to it being stolen, use the same precautions you'd use anywhere, i.e. don't set it down on a bench while you fetch a gelato or a crepe from a sidewalk vendor. If you mean charging the battery, you'll need a plug adapter and perhaps a converter. Our camcorder is not compatible with the European TVs, we can't go back to the hotel each night and review that day's video.

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 11:37 AM
Sheila

I took my camcorder to Paris and never felt threatened that it was about to be stolen. It is a smaller version that I can carry around my neck like a camera. It was tiring carrying it around but I got some great shots. I did not carry it to Italy but now that I am home I wish that I had. If you have someone with you to help video, it is much better. I know alot of people will say leave it at home but I love to look at videos from travels so it is worth the hassle to me. Just remember it gets heavy when you are walking alot and when it is hot. You can always leave it in the hotel safe if you don't want to take it out everyday. Hope this helps alittle.

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 11:51 AM
D.B.

Depends, how long have known this camcorder? And, more importantly, do you trust it? <BR>

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 12:13 PM
M.M.

DeANN it depends on how committed to capturing vacation footage you are.Southern Italy forbids camcorders at all times and the streets are heavily patroled by camcorder poliza.There have been a number of international incidents already this year with American citizens imprisoned for carrying cameras.If you still want some footage northern Italy is a little more liberal,ther you can carry a camcorder on Monday thru Thursday between 6AM and 6PM.Don't even think about the weekends! Have a funny trip !!!!!!