Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it Safe to drive & visit Berlin? any unsafe areas of Germany I should know about

Search

Is it Safe to drive & visit Berlin? any unsafe areas of Germany I should know about

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 1998, 06:53 PM
Jamie Powell

Is Berlin worth the drive?

Any Unsafe areas in Austria and Switzerland to drive in?

Old Jun 7th, 1998, 01:37 PM
wes fowler

I think you've got to sit down with a bunch of good guide books and study them diligently to really determine what it is you want to do and why. Your questions indicate that you haven't done so up to now. Travel to Europe is expensive no matter how inexpensively you ultimately travel. To get the maximum value of dollars spent you've got to dedicate time and effort on your own to determine what you want to see. It's obvious from the questions you've asked that you haven't done so. Any guide book on Switzerland will tell you that there are four official languages. Any Swiss guide will tell you that there is snow in the Alps year round. Any guide book on Germany will tell you whether its worth your while to visit Berlin. Do your homework before considering European travel!

Old Jun 7th, 1998, 02:00 PM
Bob Brown

I am not sure what your questions intend to ask.
So people will respond if they know a little more what you are after. Do you mean safe in the sense of secure from being kidnapped or car jacked?
If you are asking about road conditions when driving to Berlin, there are no special problems like there were when East and West were divided and Vopos patrolled the roads with submachine guns slung over their shoulders.

Berlin itself is a fascinating city, a real contrast even now between east and west, although reunification has had a chance to erode some of the differences. But the years of division are still a factor. In brief I found Berlin to be worth the expense.

Old Jun 7th, 1998, 07:52 PM
Linda

Berlin is absolutely worth every minute. The history--from the ancient ruins in a museum to the WWII days to the Cold War. It is fascinating. Checkpoint Charley Museum, near the actual site, is most interesting. The monuments, buildings & Potsdam are great. Know that gasoline is very expensive. Be sure to map out your trip. You have an ambitious schedule.

Old Jun 7th, 1998, 09:46 PM
Eli

Didn't I read somewhere that several Vopo's who hadn't heard about the wall coming down and DDR ceasing to exit, are still hiding in the woods and hunting down western tourists?

Old Jun 16th, 1998, 06:00 PM
Kristin Lucas

Just returned from a three-week trip to Europe. Were in Berlin for 1 1/2 days. Wish we had scheduled more. Found it very easy to get around with day passes and busses, especially bus 100 which goes most places you are interested in. Felt very safe there, considering it is a big city. Agree with previous answer regarding all the varied things to do and see in Berlin. Music (classical), churches, museums, etc.