Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

is it possible to get a meal in Venice for under ?30 a head?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 06:15 AM
monkey

I've heard Venice is a complete rip off when it comes to eating out, but the way I figure it is that the locals must eat somewhere too and they wouldn't put up with bad food for big money, so my question is, where do the locals go for food?

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 06:24 AM
monley

I'm topping this for myself, somebody must have some info for me??

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 06:26 AM
t

I was in Venice last year and there is restaurants everywhere and lots of them are inexpensive just don't look right in St.Marks square or on the Grand Canal. We ate at Harry's and the food was good but not worth the money (it was more than our hotel for the night). I loved Venice and the food and thought the prices okay.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 06:29 AM
monkey

Thanks for that,<BR><BR>I don't suppose you can rememebr any names/locations of the places you ate?<BR>thanks a mil

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 06:37 AM
John G

It really bothers me when people say Venice is a "big rip off." Venice is a tiny city with VERY expensive real estate. Most people who work in Venice can't even afford to live there. Therefore, restaurants and hotels charge heavily because their RENT is ASTRONOMICAL. <BR><BR>If you want to have a "cheaper" meal, try getting away from Piazza San Marco and going to Channaregio or Dorsoduro. I also recommend a restaurant, Gato Nero, which is on the island of Burano. I think you will find the prices to your liking.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 06:41 AM
elaine

Hi<BR>as mentioned, there are more inexpensive choices the farther away that you get from Rialto or San Marco with a few exceptions.<BR>Please don't think that my beloved Venice is a rip-off though. It is true that its only industry is tourism and that there are tourist traps to be found, but there are so many treasures and pleasures and even good values that I'm sure you can find what you need if you do a little research.<BR>In general, avoid the restaurants that tout a "menu touristico" as what seems like an inexpensive price-fixed meal is too often sub-standard food.<BR>The book "Time For Food Venice" is very portable but with excellent eating suggestions in all price ranges,good pizza places, even picnic suggestions.<BR>Here are a couple of my recommendations, can't say if locals eat there or not.<BR>Rosticceria - Calle della Bissa, San Marco, near the Rialto Bridge. (yes I know, but it's an exception.)Closed Mon I think, otherwise approx 9-9 it's open.<BR>Downstairs is a sort of cafeteria you eat standing up, at one of the few tables, or take out, upstairs is a more expensive restaurant. Good selections of salads, pastas, and hot dishes.<BR><BR>Trattoria San Toma, Campo San Toma. 2 minute walk from San Toma vaporetto stop. Pizza and bargain set menu available in addition to other more expensive dishes. Simple neighborhood place, very casual, good food, even good desserts. Outdoor dining in private garden or in the campo in good weather.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 06:41 AM
chris

I've had fantastic meals for very reasonable prices at the following restaurants in Venice:<BR><BR>Alla Zucca (my particular favorite)<BR>Santa Croce 1762, Ponte del Megio (041 524 1570) <BR>Vaporetto San Stae. Closed Sun. Tables outdoors. Booking advisable. <BR><BR>Vini da Gigio<BR>Cannaregio 3628A, Fondamenta San Felice (041 528 5140) <BR>Vaporetto Ca' d'Oro. Closed Mon. Booking essential<BR><BR>I've found these through www.timeout.com/venice/ which I've found to be very reliable for other cities I've visited too.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 06:45 AM
sandi

We had a fabulous meal at Ostaria Antico Dolo (Ruga Rialto 778)which is very close to the Rialto Bridge. There were 3 of us, we had several courses with wine that came to about $50.00 (US) Not every place is expensive...there are many quaint restaraunts where you can pop in and have some wine and pasta and you won't pay more than $10-$15 each.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 06:48 AM
t

One was called the Touristico I think. Fuuny name since we were the only english speaking patrons but wonderful food. We were staying at the Metropole and we just took one the little walkways and stumbled into it. We ate at another restaurant in Santa Maria Formosa but i can't remember the name. Most restaurants post the their menus outside so you can find out the prices before going in. Have fun, explore!

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 06:50 AM
sandi

I would suggest that you talk to the staff at your hotel for great "hole-in-the-wall" places to eat. Usually these are the best kept secrets with excellent food and cheap prices. Don't be discouraged, it'll be just fine and affordable.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:15 AM
Grasshopper

There's a great new Venice travelog on www.igougo.com http://www.igougo.com/planning/journal.asp?JournalID=9327<BR><BR>This traveller has some excellent tips for ways to get the most out of your dollar in Venice and there are some very good pictures.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:54 AM
Rex

Previously posted (plagiarizing myself)<BR><BR>Author: Rex ([email protected])<BR>Date: 06/14/2001, 10:41 pm<BR><BR>Message: ... this recommendation may have gotten lost in the shuffle: Ai Falciami Birreria. <BR><BR>All the more amazing that it rates favorably is how centrally it's located - - less than 200 yards from the "front door" of Basilica San Marco (the one furthest from the water's edge). <BR><BR>=====================================<BR>< BR>and <BR><BR>Author: Rex ([email protected]) <BR>Date: 4/13/2000, 10:15 am ET <BR><BR>Al Peoceto Risorto - no website presence that I know, but you can find it just about three "blocks" north (? - or is that west - head towards the direction of the train station) from Ponte Rialto. You can pick up the business card for this restaurant (with nice clear picture directions) at Hotel Marconi, which you can't miss - - right on the Grand Canal near Ponte Rialto itself, opposite side from the vaporetto stop. <BR>

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:04 AM
kavey

We found that eating in Venice was a little more expensive than we had thought (got back earlier today) but we did think the prices fair in most places - in Venice everything has to be imported in on boat, which does add to the price, and as mentioned above, rental/ property prices and maintenance charges are high.<BR><BR>One way to keep the cost down is not to go for multiple courses.<BR><BR>In most restaurants we ate in the starters/ first course pasta dishes were almost as expensive as the main courses.<BR><BR>And instead of dessert after dinner walk out and have an inexpensive ice cream at any local gelateria (2 scoops were 1.60 Euro nearly everywhere).<BR><BR>Meat dishes are more expensive than pasta and fish.<BR><BR>Vegetables are seldom included and you need to order them seperately (look for contorni on the menu) but it's perfectly acceptable to share, which we often did just because we didnt want too much.<BR><BR>Many places sell wine by the carafe more cheaply than by the bottle.<BR><BR>I did write down names and addresses of all the restaurants we ate at, together with what we ate and the bill and hope to post that soon, feel free to email me in the meantime.<BR><BR>I also asked the hotel staff, one place they recommended for example was called Vino Vino (fairly near our hotel which was by the Church San Moise). We didn't get to eat there (always packed) but it was where most of the local gondoliers ate and looked excellent. Note, it didn't take CC or reservations.<BR><BR>Lastly, although the prices were high we didn't eat badly, even on the occasions when we ended up in a restaurant which had a fixed turistico menu as well as their a la carte offerings. The food was fresh, with good quality ingredients and flavoursome.<BR><BR>Kavey

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:10 AM
elaine

kavey<BR>I have not found that in Venice meat dishes are generally less expensive than fish; in fact I often find fish to be the most expensive main courses, even though Venice has easier access to fish than to beef.<BR><BR>Least expensive meat entree is the Venetian specialty of liver and onions,yum, but I know that's not for everyone.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:09 PM
Capo

I've read that the area around Campo Santa Magherita, in the Dorsoduro sestieri, has a number of rather inexpensive places to eat.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:16 PM
Monica

Notes from my web site from my trip to Italy last November. Yes, you can dine well in Venice if you search well.<BR><BR>Trattoria Tre Spiedi<BR>SS. Apostoli - Cannaregio, 5906 Venice<BR>Phone: 39-041-520-8035<BR>Closed Mondays<BR>Mixed salad and fried calamari. Reenie enjoyed a tagliatelle dish with prosciutto in a cream sauce; small bottle of wine. Dinner for 2: 52.000L/$24.54.<BR><BR>Pizzeria Al Vecio Canton<BR>Castello, 4738/a 4739 Venice<BR>Phone: 39-041-528-5176<BR>Closed Tuesdays<BR>Delicious pizza with buffalo mozzarella; with sausage on one and porcini mushrooms on the other; small carafe of red wine. 45.000L/$21.12. Paid with Visa. Dined here for lunch.<BR><BR>Taverna San Trovaso<BR>Dorsoduro, 1016, Venice<BR>Phone: 39-041-520-3703<BR>Email: [email protected]<BR>Closed Mondays<BR>Tony and I found this resaurant back in 1998 and really enjoyed it. I wanted to return again! We dined upstairs as the first floor was full. Reenie and I enjoyed our meal: I had a delicious fried seafood antipasta followed by Tagliatelle with salmon in a cream sauce. Reenie had gnocchi and a fish platter; white wine 90.500L/$42.47. Paid with Visa. <BR><BR>Trattoria Ai Cugnai<BR>S. Vio, Accademia No. 857, Venice<BR>Phone: 39-041-5289-238<BR>Closed Mondays<BR>Delicious seafood Risotto for two (most places have a minimum of 2 persons to make the Risotto); fried calamari; Reenie had a veal dish. 95.000L/$44.92.<BR><BR>Osteria da Alberto<BR>"local tipico veneziano"<BR>Calle Giacinto Gallina<BR>Cannaregio, 5401<BR>Phone: 39-041-5238-153<BR>Closed Sunday<BR>www.mettingvenice.it/daalberto<BR>Delicious risotto with shrimp and rock salad and their steak (rare) with gorgonzola cheese sauce.<BR>Red house wine. 101.000L/$47.38. Paid with Visa.<BR><BR>Hosteria Al Vecio Bragosso<BR>cucina tipica veneziana"<BR>Strada Nuova 4386<BR>S.S. Apostoli 30131 Venezia<BR>Phone: 39-041-523-7277<BR>Another great meal! I had their taglitelli with bacon and mushrooms and fried calamari; Reenie had proscuitto with cheese and a pasta with porcini mushroom and scallops; we shared tiramisu for dessert. Local white wine. 48.000L/$ Paid with Visa.<BR><BR>http://www.luvtotravel.homestead.com/home.html<BR><BR>

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:32 PM

to the top<BR>

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:56 PM
kavey

Elaine<BR><BR>I adore liver so I chose the venetian liver and onion dish a few times. Delicious!<BR><BR>Generally in the restaurants we went to steaks would be in the region of 15 to 25 Euros, fish dishes would sometimes go up to 25 but were often lower, especially dishes such as the frittura de pesce, the battered selection of sea food including fish, prawns, calamari etc. <BR><BR>But there wasn't always a huge amount in it and it would depend on which meat dish and which fish dish you chose, and of course, which restaurant.<BR><BR>Pasta dishes were anywhere between 7 and 15 Euros.<BR><BR>Pizzas were invariably under 10 Euros and we usually found them generous in size and toppings.<BR><BR>Contorni, the side dish of veg or salad were usually about 5 Euros each.<BR><BR>Starters were often the expensive paret of the meal, averaging for us at about 12+ Euros. But they were good, I enjoued the carpaccio of beef with rocket and parmesan and the spider crab ready prepared and presented in the crab shell itself.<BR><BR>These prices are of course only our own experiences in the restaurants we happened to select, there were cheaper and more expensive restaurants to be found around Venice.<BR><BR>Kavey