Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is Golden Tulip Doelen too upmarket ?(for us!)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 10:50 AM
Natalie

My boyfriend and I are planning to visit Amsterdam within the next couple of months. I have trawled through this website and after all the rave reviews the Golden Tulip Doelen and the Toren received, we are yet to decide on one of the two ! The prices quoted by the travel agent are virtually the same, but we are a bit unsure whether either hotel would look too kindly on a couple of trainer wearing twentysomethings !(they look so fantastic!) Would anyone mind giving their opinion on attitudes at these two hotels ?<BR>Many thanks !

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 11:08 AM
JOdy

Believe me, if you can pay the price they don't care how you look! Just because you wear trainers , etc doesn't affect anyone in the service industry , just as long as your bill is paid.

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 12:08 PM
s.fowler

Don't worry -- take it and ENJOY!

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 09:59 PM
Chris

We stayed at the Doelen in April. It's a very nice hotel, rather casual (the bar has a "Scottish" feel, if I remember correctly). I wouldn't worry -- it gets lots of tourists. <BR> <BR>Location-wise it isn't bad, very quiet at night. <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 10:13 PM
Ann

About 10 years ago, at the end of a two week holiday on a canal boat in the Netherlands, we decided to have a good meal in our last stopover town. By this time we were looking decidedly crumpled and our clothes the worse for wear, but nevertheless we set out with our two small sons to find a restaurant which my husband had spotted in a guide book. It turned out to be a top class business type restaurant but by the time we realised it was too late to retreat. So there we were in our boating clothes with everyone else in immaculate suits. We could not have been better treated if we had been royalty!