Is Gibraltar worth the detour?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be in Andalucia for eight days, with two nights booked in Ronda (after Seville and Jerez). On our way to Ronda for the first night we are planning and dropping in on some other white hill towns (on our way from Jerez) and arriving in Ronda in the early evening. Is Gibralter worth a two hour drive there (leaving early in the morning) and a two hour drive back (arriving back in late afternoon) that next day, or should we stay in Ronda the whole day? All I really thought would be neat was the actual rock and the apes. So I am not sure if the experience is worth the 4+ hours detour.
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 09:06 PM

Many people do not like Gibraltar. I found it quuirky and interesting. It is, however, a bit of a schlep from Ronda.
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 12:09 AM

I enjoyed Gibraltar, and to me it was worth it. I liked seeing the apes and the rock; also bought some lladro. But I have heard other people say it was a big disappointment--just a big gray rock.
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 01:34 AM

No
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 01:59 AM

Gosh, I disliked Gibraltar and can't imagine making a special detour to see it.

It's claustrophobic, xenophobic and mainly just a shopping strip on steroids.It's full of ghastly chain shops (M and S anyone?), the rock is just a rock, the apes are worth one photo.

The best thing was the amazing view across the straits to Africa, otherwise -Toytown - and an uncomfortable relic of Empire - hence the bus driver who made continual racist remarks about Spaniards (in spite, it seems, of his own marriage to a Gibraltan who was of Spanish origin).
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 03:21 AM

People haven't been trying. Apart from the rock itself there are a vast amount of caverns carved into it which are worth a look, also there's St Georges caves which are worth a look.

A day is plenty. The monkeys are groovy too.
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 05:10 AM

If I were next door, I'd consider going back for a day trip, so DH could see the cavern and the (rather aggressive) monkeys; last time he went to a golf tournament at Valdearrama instead. BUT, in addition to the driving time, you have to allow time for border crossing. In the past, if either country was feeling cranky, they fully inpsected every vehicle going through...so it could take an hour (or more) to cross. Also, IMHO the pubs (full of smoke and stale cooking oil smells) can't compare to a good Spanish cafe.
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 06:56 AM

I have actually done this trip from Ronda. It is a long day. I am glad I did it, but I would not do it again.

The ride down the mountain to the coastal highway is interesting. Observe the wrecked cars (and in one case a tour bus) at the bottom of the canyons where they have rolled after driving off the highway.

The coastal highway is hideous and explains why Spain was Europe's largest user of concrete: layer upon layer of holiday villas on every piece of land that can be terraced.

Then you see the Rock and it all becomes fascinating again. It is very much there.

The caverns and casemates are interesting, and I am very sorry we did not get to see an airplane landing, since the main road runs right through the main runway, or vice versa.

It is a great thrill to see Africa for those of us who love the end of the line, and I enjoyed seeing the new mosque, the Last In Europe, I suppose, though plenty are available across the Straits.

The other great amusement was watching the apes attack a German woman who thought that the signs restricting patrons from taking food from the restaurant did not applie to her. An ape sat on her head and ate her french fried potatoes while she screamed. No damage done. The apes are nasty, but fascinating.

The roads on the Rock are extremely steep with precipitous drops. We took a bus.
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 07:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I enjoyed it, but for me it was a quick side trip to the UK (gin and tonic, fish and chips, Indian food, spend GBPs) in the middle of of several weeks in Spain and Portugal. I took the train from Ronda, walked across the border and spent the night.

The "rock" was more impressive than I expected, with great views, and looked just like the pictures. I wrote this at the time: "I found it interesting that at Europa Point, the southernmost tip, the sequence of buildings is lighthouse, souvenir shop, and mosque, a 1997 gift from guess who - King Fahd of Saudi Arabia. Once a Muslim country, always a Muslim country, according to the faithful, and Spain, including Gibraltar, was Muslim for 700 years."
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 08:13 AM

No,go someplace else instead like Cadiz or Malaga.
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 08:21 AM

If you really only have one day for Ronda (since you'll be arriving in the evening the prior day) I'd enjoy the day in Ronda. The day before will be somewhat busy driving from Sevilla and visiting white towns along the way so it would probably be nice to have a less busy day visiting Ronda.
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 08:32 AM

It is a god awful place. To go to "The Rock" and miss out on say Cadiz would be a shocking prospect. If the Spanish border controls are still messing about - you will queue for 2 hours on your return to Spain, when inside you will experience all that is bad about England.

In short stay in Rhonda the whole day.
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the advice. Even though it seems to be mixed reviews, all of the information gives a more full picture of what to expect. We might make a spur of the moment decision depending how tired we are.
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 12:58 PM

>>>>>
when inside you will experience all that is bad about England.
>>>>>

agree, there is nothing more depressing than british style council tower blocks planted in spain. the spanish build beautiful houses that fit with the hot climate (pure white and plenty of outdoor space). we britons take over part of spain and build depressing dark tower blocks. give it a miss. it's basically luton or bolton in spain.
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 01:01 PM

and spanish food wasn't good enough for us britons so we brought our great british food to spain. when you get sick of great spanish food, go over to gibraltar and have some boiled vegetables and overdone roast beef with 'brown sauce'.
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 07:33 PM

Completely agree with CathyM, Ronda deserves more time.

And in answer to the real question from the op I do not think Gibraltar merits that 4 hour detour.
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 07:53 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
I spent 2 nights in Gibraltar and completely enjoyed it. We hired a taxi driver to be our guide and he drove us all around to see the Neanderthal, St. George and St. Michael's caves, the apes (I didn't find them nasty... the driver had them sitting on his shoulder feeding them peanuts and I have a great photo of me sitting with a baby ape gently feeding him peanuts), the monuments such as Hercules Pillar, etc.

We didn't experience any delays at the border crossing either on arrival or departure.

Yes, it is English... but we didn't feel it was as horrid as other posters make it out to be! I guess if you just stay where the English shops are located, it can be a tad too much.

But, we had our car and struck out on our own around the island and found deserted beaches and lovely seaside restaurants.

But, I have to say that I also love Ronda! Try a 3 hour sunrise horseback ride there (I did it in February and the weather was fine).
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 07:37 PM

Well again the question, is it it worth a detour, and a 4 hour one at that, not is it worth a visit.
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 12:53 AM

"or bolton in spain"

Behave yourself.

We may not get 35oC in July but we have Peter Kay, Lofty the Lion and the only monkeys you will see are those on a day trip from Salford.

The answer to the question is no.

Go see one of the worlds great crossroads - Cadiz infinitely better food and trains of Berber traders wandering around looking for a deal rather than Fish and chip shops and red telephone boxes.

If you want Chippies come to Bolton.
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone! Joannyc I will look in to that horse ride. It sounds nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -