Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is Early September a good time to go to Switzerland, Germany and Austria??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 1998, 05:43 AM
Rahul Ramchandani

Hi, <BR> <BR>Is Early September a good time to go to Switzerland, Germany and Austria?? <BR> <BR>Will it be too cold? <BR>How about early August? <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR>Rahul

Old Dec 29th, 1998, 06:26 AM
Lee

Rahul: It really depends on two things: 1) Do you mind more crowds? In September, there will be far less people out traveling than in August. 2) Where are you going in those countries? If it's in the lower elevations, then early September will be pleasant, but some higher elevations may have snow possibly. <BR> <BR>Do you have an itinerary in mind? <BR>

Old Dec 29th, 1998, 07:07 AM
Nicole

Definitely go in September. There will be less crowds and the weather will still be pleasant -- I'm speaking specifically of Switzerland, but I'm sure the same is true of Austria and Germany. I was in Zermatt, Switzerland early Sept. 1997, and it was not cold. Zermatt is in the Alps and at a high elevation. Everything was green, except snow on the top mountain peaks, and the weather in town was usually in the lower 70's -- in the days we wore light-weight shirts or short sleeves, at night it got cool and we needed light jackets.

Old Dec 29th, 1998, 07:28 AM
wes fowler

Rahul, <BR>I've been in all three countries in late September, early October and been pleasantly surprised by the weather. A light jacket (windbeaker) should be sufficient in early September. In late September I was in Saas-Fee, at an elevation of over 5900 feet and found the window boxed geraniums and everything else covered with heavy frost in the early mornings. Inn proprietor told me frosts had been occuring for over two weeks with no damage to the radiant flowers since once the sun rose above the mountains, it would warm to the high '60s, low '70s, and so it did. Added bonus of September vs. August is fewer tourists, fewer crowds.

Old Dec 29th, 1998, 07:42 AM
Rahul Ramchandani

Hi everyone. <BR> <BR>Thanks for all your comments. <BR> <BR>I will list the places we plan to visit <BR>and if you could tell me more about the climate in September in these towns/cities. <BR> <BR>In Austria: Salzburg, Vienna, Innsbruck <BR> <BR>In Swizerland: St. Moritz, Zermatt, Lucerne <BR> <BR>In Germany: Baden Baden, Munich, Heidelberg, Rhine Cruise, Black Forrest <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR>Rahul

Old Dec 29th, 1998, 11:15 AM
Lee

Rahul: You are getting some good advice! <BR> <BR>It sounds like Nicole and Wes are giving you the info you need, especially about Switzerland. <BR> <BR>In Germany, the places you've mentioned should go like this: On the Rhine tour, you can expect temps around 70, probably even higher, daily. The same for nearby Heidelburg. Munich is typically about five degrees cooler than the Frankfurt area and maybe a little more as you get over into Innsbruck, Austria. <BR>Baden-Baden and the Black Forest should resemble Munich. <BR> <BR>Tip: If you are going from Munich to Innsbruck (or vice versa), try to stop at nearby Garmisch, Oberammergau and Linderhof. The entire area is beautiful! Likewise, if you go to Salzburg by way of Munich, try to stop at Bertchesgaden. All are well worth the trip. <BR> <BR>Have a good time!

Old Dec 29th, 1998, 04:07 PM
Bob Brown

My wife and I were in Switzerland for two weeks last September 17 - Oct 2. <BR>At the end, the weather had turned rainy on us. But the first 12 days were great. We had an apartment for the first week in Lauterbrunnen. During the day the temperatures were very comfortable. At night in the mountains things cooled off a little, but it was still very pleasent weather. <BR> <BR>I would say that early September might be a little better than mid to late September, but any time in September seems to be a good time to go. A lot depends on the weather and on what you will be doing. <BR> <BR>Crowds at the various major tourist attractions will still be large. <BR>We went to Zermatt on Sept 28, and found that the crowds were down some because the parking lot in Taesch, where one parks for the train to Zermatt, was not filled to overflowing. But there were quite a few people none the less. <BR> <BR>Luzern was still a very popular tourist destination during the 3rd week of the month. Again, the temperatures were quite nice. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>