Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is Dublin Airport difficult to drive away from?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2007, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To get a non-stop flight from Washington DC/Dulles we need to fly to Dublin, even though the main area we are interested in is SW Ireland.

At the moment we are looking to visit places like Kinsale, Dingle, Killarney National Park, the Ring of Kerry, and probably some other yet unknown places as we hope the total vacation will be close to 3 weeks.

I did drive out of Heathrow airport 2 years ago, around the English and Welsh countryside and back into Heathrow. ( my husband is a superb navigator!)

Will Dublin be any worse? Does it actually make sense to arrive and depart on a weekend for less traffic?

Any suggestions as to a nice town/village or B&B/Inn to stay at the first night? We usually like to drive an hour or two and find a place to stay one night to sleep off jet lag. Have found it works wonders for how we feel the rest of the trip!
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 04:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
no it is pretty small airport and the city is not very big so should be easy
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 05:02 AM

You don't have to drive through Dublin as the airport is connected to the M1 motorway, and thus also to M50 motorway which by-passes Dublin. All the national roads you may need to travel to the places you mentioned have exits from the M50.

The only thing to keep in mind is to have some Euros in cash available as there is one toll bridge on M50 where you have to pay appr. €2 now, and up to €3 later in 2008.
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 05:43 AM

Please don't drive when jetlagged. Even if you feel fine, it's difficult to keep your concentration after a long journey. Consider staying overnight or somewhere nearby and continuing your journey after a good sleep.
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 08:45 AM

I agree that it's not difficult to drive from Dublin airport. I just did it myself in September on the M1 and the M50. Good roads and not too confusing for drivers used to driving on the left.

I also agree that you shouldn't drive with jet lag, though I think that depends partly on where you'll be departing from and what time of day you start your travel.

We stayed in Dublin a couple of days, then taxied to the airport to pick up our car. (The taxi drivers were interesting--fun and informational.) We drove south, stopped at Glendalough for a visit and then stayed in Wicklow, which isn't far away.

Except for our first and last nights, we made no hotel reservations and had no problems finding a room, except in Galway, where we had to make a couple of inquiries before we found a hotel. Of course, that depends on the time of year that you go.
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 11:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I took ataxi to http://www.kingsitric.ie/
evening was made easier by a fine wine celler and breakfast of fish looking over the harbour made a great start. Then we took the Dart back into Dublin and started the car rental from there
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 01:18 AM

Being a Dubliner (and writing a web guide to Dublin), I would like to answer! While it is no more difficult to drive out of Dublin than Heathrow, it can be very frustrating in heavy traffic. Depending on the time, it can take up to an hour to leave the airport and reach the junction with the Cork/Kerry road (the M50 ring motorway is currently in chaos, having extra lanes added; also the junctions are being grade-separated, adding to the fun!). If you were unlucky (typically between 0700-0930 and 1630-1830), then you might need to find accommodation on the outskirts of Dublin!

I would go no further than Kildare or Newbridge on the N7. Kildare is worth a visit; it is small but contains the National Stud (horses) and the Japanese gardens. We have only stayed in the Ambassador Hotel but that was a long time ago.

The Westlink toll, which you will have to cross, is €1.90 until 1 january 2008 when it goes up to €2. There are cashiers at the toll who give change (and they're usually quite friendly!).

You might like to read my driving in Ireland guide and anyone is welcome to post questions via my contacts link on every page:

http://www.hidden-dublin.com/tours/drive01.html

Have a great time but remember that while ireland looks very small, it can take a considerable time to get there.

Happy planning,

Peter

Old Dec 11th, 2007, 04:31 AM

I was very nervous about driving from Dublin Airport for the 1st time. It was not a problem, but I did pay extra and get an automatic transmission auto. It was well worth the extra money. I felt that during the whole vacation that the automatic shift auto was a great buy.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 05:17 AM

Great website and great tips on driving in Ireland, pjdscott!

Because my flights usually get into DUB around noon, I tend to forget that driving on M50 can be more stressful in the morning and evening rush hours.

But even without traffic jams, it always remains a little adventure to "survive" the Mad Cow interchange on my way towards Tipp. ;-)
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody, lots of good tips.

We don't usually drive far. Flights from IAD allow for some sleep overnight and usually arrive UK early AM. It's usually not until the afternoon that we start to feel a little wiped out.

Somewhere between Bray and Wicklow looks like a possibillity, maybe an hour or so to get there from the airport?

Would love a really nice B&B, Inn, or non-chain hotel to stay at that either serves dinner, or is close enough to a small village or town to walk for dinner.

King Sitric Hotel looked interesting but the wrong direction for where we will be headed.

It looks as if we stayed in that area we could do 2-3 nights and tour around Wicklow National Park, Powerscourt and some gardens? ( Fernhill and Mount Usher look good ~ we're especially interested in big trees)

Any recommendations or ideas?

Old Dec 11th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

pjdscott ~ forgot ~ thanks for the great link to your driving guide ~ VERY helpful!
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 08:13 AM

Yes, Wicklow would be feasible. It's probably just a little over an hour from the airport depending on traffic. What is your budget for accommodation? Hunters Hotel in Rathnew is lovely and their restaurant is good www.hunters.ie. It would be very close to Mount Usher. Another place you could try is Ballyknocken www.ballyknocken.com - just outside Ashford.

Powerscourt is also beautiful and you should definitely visit Glendalough while in the area.

Further south Clone House www.clonehouse.com looks good, although may be a bit out of your way. Brooklodge in the same area is also fantastic (their restaurant is superb) but would be a bit more expensive.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 09:58 AM

wrenwood,

I stayed three nights at Hunter's Hotel and loved it. It's a very old creaky place that is comfortable with a very warm welcome from the owners and they did have very good food. As I said it is old but I'd stay again in a minute, I'm a little fussy about my comfort.

Good Luck, Joan
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 12:55 PM

In Laragh (Glendalough) I recommend Lynham's of Laragh Hotel. Nice place and good food. They have a new wing but get a room away from the bar. Staying there will give you the option of seeing Glendalough after hours when the crowds are gone and it is peaceful.

The Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge is good too but farther south.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 05:27 PM

Very easy drive out of and into the airport

upn arrival, we drove a few miles to Slane and stayed at a nice B&B - Boyne View.

At the end of the trip, we stayed right near the airport in Swords at the Holly Tree House - very nice b&b
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 04:33 AM

Many thanks for the compliment cowboy! While the site has reasonable content it currently looks terrible and is undergoing a makeover in the new year.

Have a great Christmas!
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

I haven't had much time to thoroughly check out all of the B&B's and hotels, although I did check out Hunter's, Ballyknocken and Clone House, they all looked really nice.

Brooklodge was a little too much in "facilities" ~ I don't mind spending extra dollars for atmosphere, location and food, but we don't need spas, jacuzzis and golf courses.

Bigtyke ~ I could not find a website or anything on a Google search for Holly Tree House in Swords?

Wasn't sure of how I felt about Lynham's of Laragh Hotel after looking at the website. Looked a little "hotelish" if that makes any sense. Hunters looked like it had more charm for an older hotel, although it does have some negative reviews on Trip Advisor. I do like the "time warp" appeal. Anyone else stay there, or any comments on the food?

Forgot to mention that I agreed with Nlingenfel about the automatic transmission. After our first year of driving in Germany and Austria with a manual transmission I have insisted on an automatic the last 4 times in Europe. It is one less thing to have to worry about when on unfamiliar roads!

Old Dec 17th, 2007, 06:50 AM

I guess it is Hollytree (one word) House
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks bigtyke, but I still come up with nothing in Ireland (Scotland, UK and some in U.S)

Old Dec 18th, 2007, 06:44 AM

I just checked the Dublin phonebook 2007 (Golden Pages and Business/Personal books) for "Holly tree" and "Hollytree" with no success.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -