Reload this Page >

Is Delta screwing their customers?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 10:15 AM
markizzy

I recently found out that Delta is dropping SwissAir, Austrian and Sabena as code-share partners beginning in April. This comes just as I begin to plan next year's group ski trip to Austria. I spoke with Delta and AirFrance and TAP are now the only carriers to Europe. Therefore, I cannot get a direct, non-stop flight to Zurich, Brussels or Vienna. At first glance, the cost to Vienna will rise approximately $250 since all flights will go through Paris (as will many of Delta's European flights). I was told by the airline that Air France is bigger than all 3 airlines combined. However, to me, it seems like us little people in the ATL will be paying more for any trips that are not Paris. Any thoughts?

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 11:37 AM
suzann

markizzy, <BR>Not sure I understand the problem. Delta still flies direct from ATL to both Zurich (flight #66) and Brussels (flight # 124) even without their partners. In addition, they are still selling flights on Swissair (flight #121 from ATL to ZRH), Sabina (flight #2886 ATL to BRU), and Austrian Air (flight #2812 ATL to VIE) at least through Sep of 2000. I'd try calling back. <BR>suzann

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 11:55 AM
Rex

Markizzy is right. It's a bigger problem than jus tthe gateway cities - - you lose out on the whole network(s) of Swissair, Austrian and Sabena. <BR> <BR>For example, I have a trip where the connection Venice-Brussels makes a big improvement in the ability to get home - - it's a Sabena route, and we got booked just in under the wire, before it was placed in "no more alliance bookings" limbo (though we couldn't make any changes now under code-share). Maybe something similar could have been worked out through Paris, but it didn't come up as an option - - and more options is always better. <BR> <BR>But before you assume that it is Delta screwing anybody, I would say that it takes two to tango. If (failed) negotiations resulted in a severance of the alliance, I wouldn't be so sure that Delta had the harder head. The other three may have felt that they couldn't support an alliance where AF is involved (the newest to the party). AF threatens them pretty seriously, as I see it. <BR>

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 12:12 PM
s.fowler

The codeshare/frequent flyer thing keeps getting more and more complicated. WE have a Swissair qualiflyer card which was good on a number of airlines in addition to those you have mentioned. The "star alliance" etc. are part of what is messing things up. <BR> <BR>We got Swissair because both they and their partner Austrian Airlines flew into Skopje, Macedonia. We flew Air France because it was a Delta codeshare. So we were flying a AF plane on a Delta ticket, getting Swissair miles, but got switched to Sabena when the CDG refuelers work action was taking place. <BR> <BR>American is now a Swissair partner, but Austrian has left the "qualiflyer" group. <BR> <BR>Time for "Who's on first?

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 12:14 PM
markizzy

OK, maybe I just needed to vent and Rex is right. Suzann, where are you finding these flights in Sept? I've checked with Delta, Travelocity and The Trip.com for Vienna flights from Atlanta and only coming up with Air France or KLM (through Amsterdam)?

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 01:13 PM
bob brown

Delta is not only doing what you say, Markizzy, but it is torturing them as well. The most miserable flight I ever took was on a Delta operated flight from Hartsfield to CDG last September. <BR> <BR>Delta used to be my favorite airline. But no longer. I now avoid it as much as possible. I will even pay more NOT to ride Delta. Delta has squeezed seating in economy class to the point that I cannot sit without suffering because there is so little leg room. I am no giant either; barely 6 feet. Guys 6'4" and more must really hurt.

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 02:33 PM
alan

Hi! I don't want to get into the whole situation about airlines. I just want to let people know it was NOT Delta Air that dropped the Alliance, it was the other way around. when Delta becgan an allience with Air France. Swiss Air dropped out to sign an allience with another airline. Follwing it so did Sabena and Austrian. Delta tried to keep the allience intact but they alligned with I believe United, not sure about that, but am sure that the other airlines broke the agreement not Delta. <BR>alan <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 03:55 PM
suzann

markizzy, <BR>I just went to the Delta site and did the enter-in-the-space drill with dates out to Sep 00. Yes, I guess I have a simplistic view because I normally route only ATL-ZRH with few other complications or connections. Initially I joined Delta because of their SwissAir connection, but I'm in too deep now to switch. I feel like a junkie, hooked on FF upgrades. <BR>markizzy, I hope you can find something that works for you. <BR>suzann

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 06:15 PM
JW

When the code-sharing ends between these airlines, I wonder if their flights out of Atlanta will be reduced ? And will Delta reduce their flights to Zurich, Brussels, etc. ? <BR>

Old Jan 27th, 2000, 04:35 PM
Mark

Hi all. Just wanted to add my two sense in here and clarify things for some people. OK start bashing me now, I am an employee of Delta Air-lines (I purposly didn't put my email address because I really don't want to get too involved). It all not too long ago when Air France (who CONSTANTLY has work stoppages) was in talks with both Delta and Continental oviously Delta and Air France were able to work out a better deal than Continental was with them. That being because Delta is a much more profitable airline than Continental. Delta said at the VERY begining when the alliance with Air France was annouced that they didn't want to give up the Atlantic Excellence partnership with Swissair Sabena and Austrian they wanted to expand on it. Well, not too long after that SwissAir wanted out and ended the contract but they within the matter of days rethank their decision and decided to stay with Delta even if they were partnering up with Air France. And the story goes on . . . A few weeks maybe even days later Delta decided to end the partnership for whatever reason I donnot know, nor can I assume. I'm sure they have some very good business reasons behind their decision so I just plan on being there and supporting that decison even though I may not agree with it. Just need to accept it. I'm sure a lot of you out there will agree with me on this one but SwissAir, Sabena and Austrian go A LOT more places than Air France goes. But like I said before I'm sure they have a good business reason behind their decision. It is VERY disappointing to the alliance end but it will be interesting to see what Air France has to offer that may or maynot strengthen Delta. I also know that Delta is trying to expand more on their own with their internation trans atlantic service so it will be interesting to see what happens! I'm sure they didn't end the alliance to make people upset, but just like in any business anywhere they can't always please everyone. Someone out there is always gonna be unhappy NO MATTER what is done. By no means I'm sure are they trying to hurt their customers. I can only imagine that with the loss of THREE MAJOR Europe hubs that Delta wishes to expand on those markets to compete and not have to share the profits with the others involved. They also just recently got approval with the FAA for an expanded partnership with Aero Mexico and South African Airways. Everything I've said here is public knowledge so NO I DONNOT have any inside news and if I did my job is much more important than spreading inside stuff on a website. One other thing I wanted to touch on was that someone mentioned something about the frequent flyer program, I MUST agree it does get a little outta control when you get hotels, car rentals, sending flowers, buying a car etc. . ., however, if you read the literature it isn't all that confusing to understand. Hope I helped clarify some things and like I said I'm not happy with their decision either but I'm sure they did it for some good business reasons!!!

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 11:28 AM
Mary

I just saw on the USAirways web site that they are now partners with Swiss Air, Sabena and Austrian Air.

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 12:28 PM
s.fowler

USAirways has had a partnership with Swissair for a while. Austrian Airways is about to leave the Qualiflyer group though. Since I live in the Chicago area, I won't miss Delta [Swissair flies from here], but i *will* miss Austrian in Europe.

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 06:12 PM
Mark

this is for S. Fowler. Just wanted to let you know that US Airways has NEVER had a partnership with Swissair. They just recently started that parnership more so when American Airlines began talks with Swissair and Sabena.

Old Jan 29th, 2000, 02:01 AM
s.fowler

Mark is certainly correct - so let me restate that to "relationship". USAirways is not a core member of the Qualiflyer group, but, in the year or so I have had my Qualiflyer membership I have been able to earn Swissair miles on USAirways. Is that better?

Old Jan 30th, 2000, 08:48 AM
markizzy

I received a reply from Delta to my question regarding flights to Vienna. I was told that all service will be on Air France via CDG. Like other posters, ALL my frequent flier mileage is on Delta so Austrian going with USAirways doesn't help. It could help as I plan travel for the rest of my grouop but I'm going to miss that $450 non-stop, direct ATL-Vienna.