Reload this Page >

Is Cologne worth a visit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2000, 10:26 AM
scott

Yea, I think Cologne is great. If you travel by train you unload about 300ft from the Dom (cathedral). I've never met any one that wasn't awe struck by this huge building the first time they saw it. Unless you want to spend a lot of time viewing Roman history you can see the major memory makers in 1 day.

Old Mar 24th, 2000, 10:38 AM
Rex

I totally agree. This was the tallest building in the world before steel construction. That it was built with muscle, block and tackle is utterly amazing. Whatever your views of religion, it is an incredible testament to being dedicated to "something" - - even if it is showing up the next town down the road. <BR> <BR>You wouldn't have to overnight there; there is merit in Aachen or Maastricht (NL). <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex

Old Mar 24th, 2000, 11:07 AM
Mary

I'm the person who posted this query; but the rest of my message got lost somehow. What I wanted to ask further was this: I've got a couple of days at the end of my itinerary for Germany, before I leave for Paris, and wondering whether to focus those days on Cologne or Aachen. The cathedral in Cologne really attracts me, but Aachen also sounds very interesting and maybe easier to negotiate (less busy? smaller city? I'll have a car at that point in the trip). So I'm considering staying in Aachen instead of Cologne, and perhaps just skipping Cologne altogether. <BR> <BR>Thanks Scott and Rex for your views. Rex, you mentioned Aachen. Any more info on it? Good places to stay, etc.? Also, just in case, do you know of any good hotels in Cologne? Any info will be appreciated!

Old Mar 24th, 2000, 11:22 AM
Rex

Mary, I never actually spent a night in Aachen - - just a pleasant afternoon, kinda wandering around taking in the ambience. The claim to fame of Aachen, is that Charlemagne crowned himself there in the chapel (and thus, the French name - - Aix-la-Chapelle). <BR> <BR>My standard answer for anything German is to try www.aachen.de - - and sure enough good website - - click on tourist information, and there you will see a choice for English which takes you to <BR> <BR>"Get up and go to Aachen! <BR>There are many reasons for a visit <BR>and more than enough events." <BR> <BR>and the usual complete array of further options. <BR> <BR>Sometimes, I think it must be very depressing to be a book publisher these days! <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR> <BR>P.S. still, please promise me you'll whiz by Cologne and see the cathedral!

Old Mar 25th, 2000, 01:30 AM
Ben Haines

Fodors <BR> <BR>Dear Ms George <BR> <BR>The centres of both Cologne and Aachen are peestrianmised, but since Aachen is thev smaller cty you can park your car or find a hotel withj car spoace nearer the centre there thsan in Cologne. <BR> <BR>The chapel of Charlemagne is a fine and moving monument: here we first tried a European union. The city centre is busy but on a moderate scale. <BR> <BR>Cologne is bigger and busier. People have rightly praised the cathedral, but I'll put in a word for the Rhine bank just upstream from the main railway station. The best way there is to pass the Cathedral, climb back up to platform level, walk past the fine museums (or better to go into them), and when you see the river to descend and carry on walking by all the pubs and restaurants, until you can no longer bear to pass them all by. <BR> <BR>Your best move might be to settle in Aachen, but take a day return rail ticket to Cologne. The 0859 from Aachen reaches Cologne at 0947. Your last train back is at 2114, but 2014 on Saturdays. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can helop further. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 25th, 2000, 08:47 AM
Mary

Thanks for getting back to me, Rex. And thanks, Ben, for your post.

Old Mar 25th, 2000, 08:19 PM
nickie

Just wanted to add my two cents for a great cathedral. There are hundreds of stone figures on the outside of the cathedral - realy impressive. A picture of it cannot show you the immensity, and I am always awestruck when I see it again. Koln is a busy town - but you can park at the cathedral, or if you're staying in Aachen or whatever, a train in is simpler. I don't remember if you said when you're going - but the hydrofoil (Rhein Jet) runs beginning in April, which makes a neat trip down the Rhine (and sees a lot of castles)- it leasves from Koln (Cologne). <BR>There are all kinds of museums in Koln, from a really good Roman one to the trivial (Beatles, chocolate). <BR>As far as staying there, the Hyatt Regency is a good bet. I imagine Fodors lists some too.