Is Chania worth it?

Search

Is Chania worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2007, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Chania worth it?

My fiance and I had planned to visit Chania on our honeymoon. We would be travelling from Santorini.

Apparently, there is no direct transit b/w Santorini and Chania. We would have to take the ferry to Heraklion and then bus it to Chania.

Does everyone think this is worth it? We would prefer Chania over Mykonos but, we're thinking that Mykonos would be more convenient. We would be in either place from July 8-July 11.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for everyone's help!!!
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 05:39 AM

Haniá, I presume you are referring to. Yes, I would recommend a visit to Haniá. The area around the harbour is splendidly atmospheric. To my mind, much the most appealing city in Crete. It is worth going to, but really mainly for the old city, rather than for the rural areas around. There are other parts of Crete that offer better beaches, and a more pleasing rural hinterland. But for two or three days in a Crete city, Haniá would be hard to beat.
Nicky
www.hiddeneurope.co.uk
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 05:45 AM

You definitely want to go to Mykonos! Mykonos is fabulous for a honeymoon. Chania will be horrid during the week of July 8-11. You DO NOT want to be there; it will ruin your romantic honeymoon.

MYKONOS!!!!!! You won't be sorry.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Marginal,

Why do you say that Chania will be so bad during this time?

I am able to find a ferry between Santorini and Rethymno and this would put us only an hour from Chania. Please let me know your thoughts in depth.

Thanks!
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 06:03 AM

Mykonos is more of a place honeymooners go. It is very festive--a giant block party. It is tres romantique!

Chania is a place the elderly an families go to poke around ruins. That is not what you and your lover want is it? NO!

On to Mykonos, Casanova!
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 06:06 AM

What an extraordinary reply from Marginal! Mykonos is a perfectly fine place, packed to the gills in July of course, but I cannot quite see what evokes such affection for Mykonos and hate of Haniá. Mykonos town is a nice enough spot, lots of nice alleys to explore, and it is especially good if your idea of fun is dancing till dawn. Heaps of tourists, heaps of nightlife. My personal preference would be for Haniá, which I find more appealing and atmospheric. Just that little bit less touristy. I am intrigued that Marginal is so absolutely certain that the OP will hate Chania.
www.hiddeneurope.co.uk
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

I am also intrigued as I've heard mixed reviews about Mykonos and overall positive reviews of Chania. My only concern is the travel time between Santorini and Chania, as we don't want to waste too much time in transit.

We are not big partiers, but we figure that there are nice beaches and things to do for people who aren't into the nightlife (except for maybe one night, of course).

Any other reviews or replies would be helpful! Thanks!
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 10:28 AM

I have been to Hania last October for few days - I would agree with Marginal. July would also be very hot to walk about since there is not much else to do. Except drinking beer and walking on the sea shore where restruants people invite Europeans and Americans to try their foods ...for money of course. I found Hanian people are nice. I went on my own. Definitely my family will not like the place - though since i am from Bahrain my two kids would like modern and something to see and do. I will not go for my honeymoon - though different people have different interest. I thought i have missed something - but now i do agree with marginal. For example for this summer i have already booked to Berline, Dresden, Frankfurt, Munich, Wengen and Crans Montana . Total one month during July/August. All hotels except in Swizerland are fully with aircondition. Therefore, in Hania you must make sure not just normal AC but the latest and sufficent. Most places seems use split units or windows types and not central aircondition. I think while in honeymoon you need to be cool and not hot with sweat.- even with the cold beer......etc.,
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 01:19 PM

I'm confused. I don't think Marginal has esver been to Chania based on recent posts requesting info about Crete for his/her upcoming trip.

Chania was one of our favorite places during a 3-week stay in Greece last summer. The history of the city is fascinating, and the harbor itself is very picturesque and lively.

We took a boat trip to the outlying islands, and also explored the tiny WW 2 museum.

I think if you can find decent connections from Santorini without having to backtrack to Athens, it's definitely worth a few days at least.

By the way, we really didn't enjoy Mykonos at all. The party scene gets old quickly, and the crowds were a nighmare to navigate. I didn't find it romantic at all, and thought it was generally much more expensive than Chania.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 11:33 AM

Both places are great! Mykonos is a typical island of Cyclades with much nicer beaches than Santorini of course, but Chania has a very special feeling and another architecture.
Also if you decide to go to Crete, rent a car to visit the western beaches of Elafonisos, Falasarna etc.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 11:48 AM

You are right, weadles, I have never been to Chania. However, we will be in Chania during the week of July 9 and don't want it to be too crowded. That is why I sent jdgator to Mykonos. Get it?

Besides, having been to Mykonos, I think it is really ideal for young honeymooners. There will be a lot of young, attractive people about.

I am thingorjus.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 01:52 PM

For me, a trip to Chania would be definitely worth it.

My preferences are similar to those of Weadles. For me, Chania would be a much more desirable place to spend part of my honeymoon than would Mykonos. (BTW, in Greek, the name of the town is spelled ×áíéÜ - which is correctly transliterated in English as either Chania OR Hania.)

Mykonos is a favorite of singles who want to party all night. Hmm. Not my idea of romantic, or a good way to spend a honeymoon.

Crete is a large enough island that even in July it is possible to get away from the crowds and enjoy the gorgeous beaches and sea. Chania is wonderful, as are many other communities on Crete.

If you go to Crete, my recommendation would be to rent a car in Heraklion and use it to get around the island. Just out of curiousity, I checked the prices on AutoEurope, and it looks like you could pick up a car in Heraklion and return it in Chania from July 8-11 for as little as $150. Doing so would be well worth it, in my opinion. cristine has identified a couple lovely beaches in Western Crete (an easy drive from Chania) that you can reach by car, but, in general, Crete is a place where it is just so nice to explore with a car. The western and southwestern coasts of Crete are some of my favorite places. Also, having a car in Crete allows you to see the Greece that doesn't have a zillion identical jewelry and googaw stores, which are prevalent in Santorini and Mykonos.

Old Feb 15th, 2007, 01:58 PM

OOPS! Guess my attempt at using Greek letters didn't work. So let's try again -- In Greek, the name of the city is spelled XANIA. The initial letter X in Greek is pronounced somewhere between the "ch" in chutzpah and the Spanish "j" in Jorge. Because English doesn't have this sound, transliteration is difficult, which is why you see both Chania and Hania.

OK - way more than anyone wanted to know!!
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 01:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Many, many years ago, we rented acar in Chania [or hania as OPs prefer] and drove along the non-existant road along the south coast of crete to return the car in Heraklion.

My abiding mempory of Hania is therefore somewhat tainted by the state of the roads! and the raod signs that are all in greek - luckily my DH has done a lot of maths. WE also manged to find the port and the associted red-light district.

Surprisingly therefore, I have fond memories of Hania. There are some very nice little villages and beaches to the west, and the town itself with the harbour is very interesting. I doubt that these have changed much [and I'd be very surprised if they've finished that road!]

AFter Santorini, it would make nice contrast. I can't tell you anything about Mykonos as I've never been.

Congrats, and good luck!
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 02:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
ps sorry about e htpyos!!!
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 03:13 PM

If you decide on Mykonos, I would definitely recommend picking a place in town. Taxis are scarce on Mykonos ( I think there are something like 28 of them, total!) so it's a nightmare trying to get back and forth from anything that is even a short distance from town.

One of the reasons we didn't like Mykonos was that it was full of frat house type parties every night,with people stumbling out of bars and laughing uproariously while they fell down or vomited in the tiny alleyways. That might have been fun in another lifetime, but even our 19-year-old daughter who's in the midst of all that every weekend at college, found it boring and gross.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 06:21 PM

Hey, stop raining on my parade, Gladys. I don't care if others go to Chania, as long as it isn't the same week my party will be there. We don't want strange Fodorites bothering us.

Anyhow, jdgator has already booked Mykonos thanks to me. My plan worked!!

Don't mess with the gays, sweetie.
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 11:01 PM

Why waste people's time and give the wrong impression of a place when you have never been there, this individual Margiela is of no help whatsoever, comment on places you have been to and not ones you are only dreaming about.
Chania is a very pretty city with the harbour and the Venetian architecture, it was my favourite of all the large towns on Crete. If you don't want to hire a car there are some wonderful day trips by coach taking you into the countryside to various old monasteries, historic sites and to the south coast where there are some lovely beaches. Most of the beaches on Crete are very good anyway so you won't have to go far if that is what you enjoy. Crete has a lot more to offer than Mykonos and I think Mykonos before July and after August is a much more enjoyable time to be there. I went in october for Oichi day and it was lovely, people had time to chat and it was so much more relaxing. Crete being such a large island you can always get away from the tourist throng if you wish.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Give me a break, Margiella! Regardless, we've changed our plans and will now be in Chania - see you there!
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 01:57 PM

Chania is beautiful and there are wonderful beaches nearby. It is a lovely town for stolling around, especially in the evenings along the waterfront.
Depending on your budget, you could consider taking a taxi from Heraklion to Chania (a 2 hour drive), or better still hiring a car. Having said that, the bus service is very good.
July is ofcourse hot, so I would advise you to stay somewhere with ac. The sea is wonderful in July, just perfect.

Carolena

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -