Reload this Page >

Is British Aiways a good choice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2000, 02:36 PM
Zack

We are flying to Europe in about a week and a half for our first time, of course in Coach, on British Airways. Can anyone give me their opinions about British Airways, and anything else they would like to add? Thanks, ~Zack

Old May 20th, 2000, 06:03 PM
Lori

Hi Zack, <BR>I just caught you other posting. We fly British Airways whenever we go to Europe (every year) - they are probably no better or no worse than any others, but we have always been treated decently (and we go Coach). We fly out of LA and since I don't know where you are leaving from I cannot answer specifics about BA in your city, but in LA they are fine. Their food is passable, you will get 2 meals, a dinner and a light breakfast about an hour before landing. We don't drink anything but water and juice and that is forthcoming all during the flight. They have not refitted all their 747's to individual seat back screens yet but are in the process. They show 2 movies (from west coast anyway) and numerous other short subjects and comedies. I usually read so I can't answer for the quality of them but they seem average. <BR>They give you a little collection of socks, toothbrush, toothpaste and eyemask to ease the agony of the flight. <BR>Our crews have always ranged from pleasant to downright friendly but I suppose like all airlines they have some grouchy flight attendants too! (I know I'm not a delight every single day at work). BA can be sticky about carry on luggage - they say 1 bag per person not to weight over 13 lbs. We stick to that because you never know when they decide to enforce it (there is a scale in LA to weight your hand luggage if you are not sure) but we have seen people hauling on what looked like cargo and no one batted an eye. I would not take the chance tho. On flights back from London we also had 2 meals, the "courtesy kit" of socks, etc. plenty of juices, etc. whenever and ice cream bars midway through the trip, etc. One thing that has always pleased me on BA is that their lavatories seem to stay cleaner longer than they do on some other carriers we've flown with in the past. I don't know if the people that fly BA are neater than those on other airlines or what, but we have noticed this on our last couple of trips. (We used to fly American or TWA). <BR>Just be nice to the FA's and they will be nice to you!!!! Go and enjoy.

Old May 21st, 2000, 12:49 AM
Anna

Dear Zack, <BR> <BR>We live in London, so we fly BA rather a lot - but not out of choice. If there's an alternative (espeially Virgin), we take it. They are fine in economy for shorthaul flights (you can put up with anything for a couple of hours), and most importantly they are punctual. <BR> <BR>However, we refuse to fly coach on the longhaul routes with them now because their attitude (with a few exceptions) is appalling. <BR> <BR>That is not to say that they are so bad that you should avoid them like the plague - there are much worse airlines out there. Just be warned - do not board expecting the cabin crew to be all sweetness and light, do not expect a reasonable amount of leg room (it seems to keep shrinking), but you can expect a safe and punctual flight. <BR> <BR>

Old May 21st, 2000, 04:39 AM
Mike Miller

We fly BA whenever possible. They have one of the best frequent flyer programs in existence in our opinion. You can get an off-peak overseas ticket for 40,000 miles. You can accumulate those miles very quickly with your trip and by getting their credit card which gets you a 5,000 mile bonus.

Old May 21st, 2000, 04:55 AM
Gina

Like Anna, I prefer Virgin--they truly are fabulous. But my experiences with British haven't been particularly negative (just not as good as VA). I was particularly impressed last fall when, traveling to London with my parents, they upgraded us to business class without our even requesting it (my dad is in a wheelchair). A very thoughtful and observant gate agent!

Old May 21st, 2000, 10:15 AM
Jan

We have flown BA to and from the States many times and have no complaints, the flight attendants have always been helpful and as Lori says the food is passable. Have only flown Virgin once and never again, I can do without water leaking down on me from the air conditioning units, snotty flight attendants and a plane that was less than clean.

Old May 21st, 2000, 04:13 PM
murray

I like you have flown Virgin only one time and never again. Ironically I did not even know that I was flying with them until I got to the airport. I thought I was flying with Delta since they had issued the ticket. It seems they share certain routes with Virgin and we ended up being on a virgin flight from New York to London. The plane was packed and the seating was cramped. The service was terrible. Worst of all the plane and facilities were filthy. By far the dirtiest and worst maintained airplane I have ever been on. Murray.

Old May 21st, 2000, 08:14 PM
julie

We have flown BA every time we have gone to London--both business, First and coach, depending on the circumstances. They have, we think, the best first and business in the airline industry, but coach is crowded, the tightest configuration of seats that we have ever endured. Service is about average. However, flying first is an experience to remember, they really pamper you. Like someone said, you get what you pay for in this world.