Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is Aveiro worth a detour on the way to Porto?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are staying in Lisbon for a few days then driving to Porto, stopping at Obidos and checking out the pottery stores (and other sites) near Batalha. Someone at work said that Aveiro is "terribly picturesque". Is it worth a detour and an overnight stay or is our time better spent just heading on to Porto?

Thanks for any tips!
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 01:04 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We found it to be a pretty town and worth a few hours. It was on our way from Coimbra to Guimares so we stopped enroute, not overnight.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I am trying to maximize our time and still squeeze in a football game in Porto on Sunday.
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 07:45 AM

I took a three day trip to Aveiro and surroundings last fall. I think it's a very pretty town, but I think its billing as the "Venice of Portugal" is slightly overrated. I have some pictures from that trip here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/laurie.r...ToAveiroOct08#

Depending on your timing, I think it's a nice stop, not much out of the way at all. Parking is fairly easy, there are lots of little streets right off the main streets with plenty of places to park. There are very highly touted local pastries, which I bought to bring back to Lisbon for some friends but can't report on since my husband and I don't eat many sweets.
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Great photos! Appreciate the info - caught my husband's interest when I waas reading it to him and you mentioned the pastries. He has a sweet tooth like no one I know. I think if we have a few hours we will definitely stop in since parking is not an issue. We are headed to Porto to see the football game after a stop in Aveiro.
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 04:20 AM

We spent a night in Aviero and thought it was worth it. Be sure to go to the nearby town of Costo Novo (10-15 minute ride) for a quick look around at its picturesque striped homes and also to the beach area to see the sand dunes and shore.
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 08:47 AM

Coimbra would be a better stop. We were there for just a day visit then drove on to Aveiro. Just a tour of the old university wold be more interesting than Aveiro as a whole. We had been there before and this time, while our friend took the tour, we walked around the old town at the base of the hill. I preferred it to Aveiro.