Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is an entire day sufficient for Cologne?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or do I need more than that? Thanks.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 09:55 AM

I admit that we drove from Heidelberg, saw the cathedral, then went home. It is just amazing! Despite all the development over the centuries, you can still see the cathedral from a great distance.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 09:58 AM

We spent a day going to the cathedral and the Ludwig Museum. Both were awesome but we were anxious to move on.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 10:01 AM

Cologne was largely blitzed during WWII - even the mammoth cathedral was left with gaping holes in it - it's been deftly repaired but the city itself lacks the old-world warmth many expect in Europe. There are a few main sights apart from the cathedral - right next to it is some kind of Roman Museum that gets kudos as does a modern (?) art museum.
Actually i think most people will think a few hours enough - though the riverfront is very pleasant and there are some vest-pocket restored Altstadt (Old Town) with the usual panoply of restaurants and outdoor cafes.
Cologne also offers some of the finest shopping in Germany in the preceints right around the cathedral.
Those going by rail will find the main station abuts the cathedral (heaven forbids that any such thing today would be allowed to desecrate the cathedral area!) and everything of interest, making Cologne to me a classic few-hour stop in going to some nicer place.
And before someone castigates me for myself only having an ephemeral view of Cologne, like was done before in a similar post by me, by only spending a few hours there i actually have spent days in the city on business and have jogged thru every nook and cranny and there are few of these worth the while of the average tourist. That said Cologne is a delightful city in many ways - for ethnic flare it has one of Germany's largest Turkish enclaves. But the city unfortunately was a victim of war rubble and today looks thoroughly modern.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

We're flying in and out of Dusseldorf so we'll have a day in the area on either end of our trip. Not having read particularly great things about Dusseldorf, we thought we'd visit Cologne instead. Our 1st day in europe we'll have an entire day in Cologne. Now it is the other end I'm wondering about. I have 2 choices for flights back to the Dusseldorf area. One gets me in at the crack of dawn so I'd have another entire day in the area (flight home leaves the next morning) or I could get there in the middle of the afternoon. Maybe that would be my better bet, and we could just spend the rest of the afternoon and night in Dusseldorf. Thanks for your insights.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 12:09 PM

Dusseldorf to me is every bit as nice as Cologne, though Cologne has the world-famous cathedral.
Dusseldorf has been pieced back together from war rubble nicely - its reborn Aldstadt is very delightful, especially in warm weather with all the outdoor tables.
Dusseldorf also has one of Germany's most famous shopping and most elegant streets - the Ko - running along an old canal - very swank and with all the famous fashion shops that make Dusseldorf on par with Paris, Milan and New York in the fashion world. Also a lovely riverfront.
I don't think there is much to write home about in this area besides Cologne and Dusseldorf so i'd spend the day in Dusseldorf - also some nice sprawling parks and beer gardens.
For your first day in Germany i think Cologne makes a swell choice as there is not much you have to see but it's pleasant enough to stroll around the lively pedestrian shopping zone and riverfront.
Again those these are not two of Germany's prettiest cities they are, like all German towns it seems, very very pleasant places. Good plan.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 02:56 PM

It depends on your interests.

Of course, there is the Cathedral - maybe it is one of the most awesome gothic cathedrals, because it is one of the few with completed spires. And it has the shrine of the three magi and the treasury and famous masterpieces of medieval art and and and...

Secondly, there are 12 (!) romanesque churches in Cologne which are even older than the gothic cathedral, many of them easily accessible by a short walk.

Thirdly, there is the outstanding Roman-Germanic Museum right next to the Cathedral with an almost complete magnificent tumb, several mosaic floors and the most intricated Roman glassworks that have ever been found.

Fourthly, there are two world-class art museums, also right next to the Cathedral, the Wallraf-Richartz-Museum with medieval art and the Museum Ludwig with modern art.

Fifthly, there is the gothic city hall with an impressive Roman palace underneath. And a walkable Roman sewer.

Sixthly, there are several beer-halls where the typical Cologne beer ("Kölsch&quot is made and where you can enjoy traditional German food.

Seventhly, there is a stretch of the old town along the riverbanks of the Rhine where you can board a ship that brings you to the scenic section of the Rhine.

And finally, Cologne is a bustling city full of urban playfulness.

See:
http://www.koeln.de/tourismus/koelnt...nal/uk_00.html

And decide for yourself wether Cologne is worth a second day.

BTW, I strongly suggest to include Düsseldorf, too.