Reload this Page >

Is AmEX worth getting?

Search

Is AmEX worth getting?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 06:03 AM
Tony

Is AmEX worth getting?

I'll in in Europe for about 3 weeks. I have both a platinum VISA and VISA debit card. Does American Express office in Paris especially, or AmEx in general provide any services that you have found makes it worthwhile to get that card also?

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 06:26 AM
Ed

For most travelers there's nothing one needs from a card that platinum VISA and and debit card wouldn't provide. <BR> <BR>AMEX markets "prestige", "member benefits" ... blah blah blah. Nice to have. Unnecessary in my opinion. <BR> <BR>twenj

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 06:29 AM
James

A second credit card would be useful as a backup. There are a number of things that can happen to your credit record, especially with overseas travel ... not to mention card loss. Get a second credit card. A MasterCard is probably the most useful backup.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 06:53 AM
Lori

Visa does not charge a fee for money conversion (Francs to $, etc.) Mastercard does, I don't know about AMEX.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 07:04 AM
philip

I prefer the AMEX Platinum. Although it has a fee of $375 per year, the service is worth it if you travel frequently or like special attention. <BR>I use the AMEX card for access to several airline clubs and have used the card to get roon upgrades, as well, at their member hotels. <BR>I also like the concierge service. I've used it to get restaurant reservations when none were available to the general public and to get advice on a private tour from Paris to Normandy. <BR>I've also found that the exchange rate is generally better than most banks give on their cards. <BR>Also, although I have not used it yet, you get a buy 1 get 1 free for international first class on several airlines.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 07:11 AM
philip

Contrary to a previous post, some Banks do charge a fee for foreign currency transactions on their card. (Chase did this to me recently.) <BR>Visa does not issue cards, banks issue Visa cards. Visa, like Mastercard, is the network not the card issuer. Check with your bank on its policy and fees.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 09:18 AM
Mia

The good thing about AMEX is that it is not really a credit card. No finance charges, but you do have to pay the entire bill each month. This works well when travelling because you don't have to keep using your cash or depleting your back account; you do that when you're safely back home and the bill comes (but hopefully, you've planned on that and have savings to draw from). <BR> <BR>But AMEX also has an option where you can choose to have any travel related purchases (airfare, hotels) charged to a revolving credit-type account; same AMEX card/account, it just shows up as a separate account on your bill and you only have a montly payment (like a regular credit card). This works for me for spur-of-the-moment trips and haven't quite yet saved for airfare!

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 09:38 AM
russ i

A big bonus for me is that the American Express Rewards card allows you to collect points (1 dollar = 1 point = 1 mile) and apply them as miles on serveral different airlines and their partners. So instead of having only a Continental credit card, for example, you can decide which airline (among the participants) you want to apply the points at the time that you need them.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 09:39 AM
Chris Philhower

Hi Tony <BR> <BR>I've found that American Express isn't always accepted here in France. As long as you have a back up Visa (sometimes MasterCard isn't accepted either!), you'll be fine.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 09:47 AM
JP

I wouldn't bother with the card; too expensive and not accepted enough places. If you want to use their offices, some services such as money exchange are open to everyone, and other services can be used if you have a few of their travellers checks (issued without fees at some banks and credit unions).

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 09:49 AM
Gerry

Lori: <BR>On my last trip my B/A visa chaged a currency conversion fee(about 2%). My Wells Fargo Master Card did not charge this fee. So,as stated, I guess it depends on the bank. Do we need to pressure are money hungry banks? Also, I found that almost all Italian ATM's took my Master Card while far fewer would accept my Visa. I passed on my Amex credit card. Contrary to thier advertising, I found it the least useful in Europe.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 09:59 AM
Howard

First, I agree with most of the posters that you don't need an Amex card. However, it's my #1 card for a couple reasons. My reasons for having an American Express card parallel those of Mia and Russ: <BR>1. I like using it because I know I have to pay it in full each month, so it's a wise fiscal move for me, as I can't use it as a crutch! (Yes, I also do have Visa and MasterCard cards for the "just in case" situations.) <BR>2. I like the flexibility of the Membership Rewards program and have redeemed miles on three different airlines in the past few years. <BR>Though I know it's not accepted everywhere, unlike some of the previous posters, I've never had mine rejected overseas. (And, yes, I do carry a Visa card as well.) <BR>But again, in spite of my pro-Amex attitude, no, Tony, it's not necessary as long as you have a Visa and MasterCard.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 10:09 AM
joe

I have let my Amex card expire after almost twenty years. I could not understand why I needed it.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 10:18 AM
Lori

Gerry and Philip: <BR>While I agree that the cards are issuee by banks and MC and Visa are the network - my husband's MasterCard is issued by the same bank as my Visa card. He was charged a conversion fee, I was not. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 11:10 AM
tom

AMEX has many varieties of credit cards. The one I use is the "Platinum Cash Back" card -- no membership fees, and and there is approximately a 2% *CASH* rebate at the end of your billing year (February for me). <BR>I try to use this card for EVERYTHING. I am able to get many hundreds of dollars of refunds this way. <BR>This is reeason enough for me to have an AMEX card. <BR> <BR>The cash rebate is deducted from your months charges, you don't actually get a check in the mail. <BR> <BR>But you do need a Mastercard or VISA as an alternate, since AMEX is not as universally accepted.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 11:15 AM
Gerry

Lori: <BR>Unfortunately the fee rules are so complicated and change so often that you don't know what you are paying until you get home and see the bills. It seems that it can also depend on whether you are taking a cash withdrawal from an ATM or using it as a credit card and what type of card you have(ie.platinum, gold etc). On our trip my wife and I used used TD Whaterhouse Visa ATM(no conversion fee charged, $2 ATM fee); Wells Fargo Platinum Master Card ATM and Charge card(no conversion fee charged, $2 ATM fee); Citibank Gold Visa used as both ATM and Credit card(no conversion fee charged); Bank of America Visa Gold ATM and charge card(2% conversion fee charged, $2 ATM fee and $3 "international trasaction fee" on ATM use. ) Bank of America gave us the best currency exchange rate, Citibank the worst. Now I know which card to leave home next time. But then, will the rules be all different? <BR> <BR>Good Luck! <BR> <BR>Gerry

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 11:42 AM
Gerry

Amex Platinum Cash Rebate Card gives you a rebate of 2% on your purchases only if you carry a CREDIT BALLANCE of over $5000! You pay 17 1/2 % interest on this ballance. Then they "give" you a 2% rebate at the end of the year. If you think this is a good deal, I suggest you talk to a financial advisor or debt counselor. You should skip a few trips until you pay off your credit cards!

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 05:58 PM
Nancy

I took out an AMEX card because it covered the car insurance for 30 days. MasterCard only covered for 2 weeks. Later I discovered I could have the AMEX card at no annual fee. Just ask them. However, if you're not renting a car, don't bother. I have found it takes longer in some places to approve an AMEX card. Consequently, I almost never use it.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 06:22 PM
Michael

Nancy, <BR>How did you get an American Express card without paying their annual fee? You said "just ask them". Exactly what did you do or say to get them to waive the fee?

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 11:54 PM
Juppie

Hi Iīm from Germany and I strongly recommend to get a second credit card for your trip. Amex as well as Visa is not everywhere excepted. Like one of the above posters stated Mastercard is very useful in Europe. I ones had a nasty experience in a restaurant in France where my credit card didnīt work for some technical reasons. Since I didnīt have a second credit card at that time and there was no ATM anywhere (the restaurant was in the middle of nowhere) I had to pay with some German cash that I luckily still had in my wallet. I got a bad exchange rate and they didnīt even offer an "Eau de Vie" to make up for my trouble! Without the cash in my wallet Iīm sure I would still be sitting there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -