Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is a side trip to Andechs Monastery worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 04:27 PM
Kevin

I'm heading to Munich in a couple of weeks and I will have a few days to sight see. One day I'm planning on leaving Munich early by car and driving to the Zugspitz (tram to top)... on to Oberammergau for a visit to the castle... and dinner at Andechs. Is this one day ininerary realistic? Is the Andechs Monastery worth the side trip (view, beer)?

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 05:04 PM
Bob

I have been to the Andechs brewery area twice...both times for the great beer. I have been with two different friends and they all enjoyed the beer. If you are in to beer, you will enjoy the visit also. <BR><BR>The scenery around the lake and area is pretty, but I do not know that much about the restaurant or eating. There are quite a few large buildings, beer halls, etc. My thought is that they would have good beer hall food only.<BR><BR>There is no castle in Oberammergau proper that I am aware of. You may mean Neuschanstein near Fussen. Linderhof is near the Ettal Abby on the way to Oberammergau and is also one of Ludwig's and worth a visit.<BR><BR>Your one day itinerary is full, but can probably be done if you start early. You would enjoy it more at a slower pace as you have a lot of time in the car to do all of that and you may run into traffic that can slow you down. <BR><BR>I would probably do Garmisch/Zugspitz and the castle and save Andechs for another trip......unless you are a beer person....then go for it!

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 07:11 PM
Kevin

It is Linderhof I was talking about.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 04:57 PM
Russ

Andechs is a must-do. It serves traditional German food (pork roast, sausage, that sort of thing) in large portions at very reasonable prices and in a very informal atmosphere (you join a food line and sit at the picnic tables on the huge outdoor patio, or in the indoor annex.) It's nothing to dress up for, but the food is great. Have one of their huge, bready pretzels and a 1/2 liter of Weizen, and you've had a meal, by my definition. Add a pork knuckle and a little red cabbage, and it's a feast.

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 06:52 AM
Anna

If you like beer, then you should definitely go. The pork roast was excellent. My husband wants to return and spend a night there the next time, he was driving so he couldn't enjoy the beer. I don't know if you'll be able to pack in the Zugspitze, Oberammergau, and Andechs all into one day.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 04:59 AM
Karen

If you are enterested in the food and beer, it is fine. But be warned that the monastery itself is under major renovation. I was there is July and the entire interior is covered except for the main altar. I was very disappointed.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 06:51 AM
xxx

Andechs is fun but it's not really all that. It's not that high up so the view isn't spectacular, it's just of fields and the Ammersee off in the distance. The beer is really good and the food is pretty standard. Did you know that you can buy Andechs beer in bottles in Munich? There's also an Andechs restaurant that serves their beer on tap in Munich, near the Frauenkirche (church with 2 domes). If you're in the area of Andechs though, might as well stop by! You should probably check what time the restaurant closes, too. I don't think it stays open that late.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 05:40 PM
John

Kevin:<BR><BR>If you go to Oberammergau stop and visit the Weissekirche It is one of the highlights of the area!<BR>JOHN