Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is 8 weeks long enough to receive passport?

Mar 13th, 2002, 06:36 AM
Kathy

Has anyone recently received a passport? If so, can you tell me how long the process took? My son is leaving for France May 23 and we will be applying for his passport next week when he's home from college. I'm debating whether or not to expedite. Thanks.

Mar 13th, 2002, 06:48 AM
Sjoerd

Which country are you from? Here in the Netherlands, it takes 4 work days to get a (new) passport.

Mar 13th, 2002, 06:58 AM
Debbie

Kathy-do yourself a favor and pay the extra fee for rush service. It is well worth it as you get the passport back within 7 days in the mail. It used to be that there were "lull" times when you could apply and get it back quickly but those really are gone. At this time of the year(at least here in Chicago) it is VERY VERY busy as everyone is going on spring trips,going away for summer family trips,etc.Our family always pays the extra fee for the piece of mind-it is relatively little compared to the stress you will have if you do not get it in time!
For those of you who do not have a passport or your children do not have one-do yourselves a favor and apply for one as you never know when a wonderful opportunity will avail itself to you and you would want to go at the last minute?

Mar 13th, 2002, 07:55 AM
kdr

Absolutely pay the fee to expedite. I didn't, and despite State Department claim's that the usual turn around time is 5 weeks, it took over 8 weeks for me to just get a name change done to my passport. Especially if you are on the East Coast, the passport agency is struggling with new ways of handling mail because of the anthrax situation, and this is slowing down the process dramatically.

Mar 13th, 2002, 08:06 AM
Heather

It's difficult but I wouldn't take a chance. My friend sent in for her passport on the 22nd of Feb and I did on the 23rd. She got hers on Monday of this week, I am still waiting.. Not sure how long it will take. They said in New york that if you need it in less than 5 weeks then you should pay the extra.
It's hard to predict. If it makes you feel more secure then you should pay the extra.

Mar 13th, 2002, 08:55 AM
Kathy

Thanks, guys. I'm going to expedite.