Search

ironing clothes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 01:53 AM
jean

ironing clothes

we will be traveling to london, germany, switzerland and paris next month. we intended to pack an iron, but have been told that most hotels have irons in their rooms. is this true?

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 02:26 AM
Marc David Miller

I think most hotels would have an iron available through housekeeping, depending on the type of hotel (many high end properties, for instance, would prefer that you have their staff do the ironing, for both revenue and safety reasons). Best to check in advance if you are not planning to pack an iron.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 11:49 AM
Christina

I think I've seen remarks that irons may be available at front desk in higher end hotels which have those menu-type description of services in the rooms (these are only in 4 star hotels in my travels) but I have never, ever seen one in the room as basic equipment at any level of hotel anywhere in the world. I agree you really should ask the hotels you are staying at if this is a concern.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 12:00 PM
dbscandy

<BR>No irons as standard equipment? This year, i used Best Western in Nashville, Airport Econo-Lodge in Atlanta and Ramada in Gatlinburg...all had irons and boards as standard in the room. Also, built in hair dryeres were present. I can't afford to stay in expensive hotels but I'm finding the amenities in the chains in the US getting better. <BR> <BR>BUT, layering your clothes with dry cleaning plastic is a great way to prevent wrinkles. A small travel iron or steamer wont take up too mch space and is light to pack...just in case.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 12:07 PM
ger

It is a rare occasion that I have found an iron in the room in Europe - even in 4-star hotels. Houskeeping will have a few that they will bring to your room, but every guest seems to need an iron at the same time! <BR> <BR>I always travel with a very small travel iron, just in case. Also, tip about plastics bags is a good one. Before I travel, I bring my clothes to the dry cleaner for cleaning or just pressing. They go straight into the suitcase hangers, bags and all! <BR> <BR>Regards