Irish novels

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 06:12 PM
Lynn

Irish novels

One of the ways I've always enjoyed preparing for travel is to read works by the country's authors and/or fiction set in the country. Of course, I always read the travel books and some history, but does anyone have advice about current authors writing good Irish fiction?

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 06:29 PM
elvira

Leon Uris, Brendan Behan (not just his plays, but his books on life in Dublin), James Joyce, Frank McCourt. <BR> <BR>Over Nine Waves, by Marie Heaney, is a book of Irish legends. <BR> <BR>The Vintage Book of Contemporary Irish Fiction is an anthology of stories. <BR>

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 07:52 PM
Caitlin

Frank McCourt (Angela's Ashes) is memoir, not fiction. <BR> <BR>Roddy Doyle. On the lighter side, Maeve Binchy spins good contemporary Irish yarns.

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 04:03 AM
Sheila

Frank Delaney's very good as is Bernard McLaverty

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 04:53 AM
Maira

"Celibates and Other Lovers" is a witty, great read about a young man in a small town in Ireland (set after World War II), who is determined to become a priest, despite the efforts of a young lady, who refuses to believe that he would choose the church over her charms. Filled with wonderful dialogue, you'll think you are sitting by a window sill watching all these Irish characters, situations, feuds, and stories hapenning right across from you. Written by Walter Keady, a Hudson Valley (NY) resident these days, I thougt it was pretty good.

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 01:01 PM
Danna

Lynn, <BR> <BR>Not a fiction but we liked "Round Ireland with a Fridge" by Tony Hawks... he hitch hikes... it's a fun view of the country and people. Have Fun!

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 03:13 AM
Stacey

Lynn - <BR> <BR>Agree with most of the above - Roddy Doyle is hysterical. Maeve Binchy is fun/romantic, kind of Daniel Steele-like. <BR>Nora Roberts recently did a trilogy about a family of barowners. Jewels in the Sun (I think that's correct) was my favorite. <BR> <BR>1916 : A Novel of the Irish Rebellion -- by Morgan Llywelyn - This is one of my favorites. Makes history come alive. <BR> <BR>Trilogy by Leon Uris was excellent as well - nice and think for the flight over.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 04:19 AM
Ess

Edna O'Brien is pretty good.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 05:49 AM
Ann

Also try Colin Bateman and Joseph O'Connor (he writes both novels and nonfiction). Both are exceptionally funny. And another vote for Round Ireland with a Fridge, and, of coures, Roddy Doyle. I found "The Van" to be his best book. He really captures the spirit of the Irish people in there. It's the only book I've ever read where I've laughed out loud (the movie's great, too, but I don't think it's available in US format). Also try "Finbar's Hotel" and "Ladies Night at Finbar's Hotel." I've seen at least the former in U.S. bookshops. The books were edited by Dermot (sp?) Bolger (another good Irish author). Each chapter was written by a different Irish author (all men for the first book, and women for the second), but you're never told who wrote what. They are good books, and it's a good way to get to know several different Irish authors. <BR> <BR>I've found Maeve Binchy to be perfect for plane rides. Her books don't tax your mind in the least, and the stories are pleasant and entertaining enough to take you across the Altantic. Of course, I never seem to read her books when I'm off the plane.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 06:59 AM
Amita

The website I work for just did a feature on Irish authors: <BR> <BR>http://www.bookreporter.com/features...edit010316.asp

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 09:00 AM
Annette

If you have access to a good library, get The Country Girls trilogy unabridged on tape to hear Edna O'Brien read her work. Her voice is magic. <BR> <BR>William Trevor is wonderful - I believe a movie was made from a recent work of his, Felicia's Journey, 1995. His 2000 novel is The Hill Bachelors. I like the 1970, Mrs. Eckdorf in O'Neill's Hotel. <BR> <BR>Better than current is George Moore, born 1852 - his 1954 short story Albert Nobbs (from Celibate lives) is one of my all time favorites.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 09:07 AM
Annette

It is a rule that everytime I post here, I mess up. Albert Nobbs takes place in the 1860's in Dublin, I don't know when he wrote it, but nothing like 1954. It's a Boy's Don't Cry situation from back in the days women couldn't get work, so widow "Albert" pretends to be a man in order to earn a living.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 10:27 AM
Edmond O`Flaherty

Not current and not fiction either but if you are travelling to Ireland you might consider reading the poetry of W.B.Yeats.He was born in Dublin but his poetry will forever be associated with County Sligo.He writes about places which you can visit-Knocknarea,Ben Bulbin mountain and Innisfree to name only a few. <BR>I first went to Sligo about twenty years ago and I visited Yeats`s grave "under bare Ben Bulbin`s Head in Drumcliffe Churchyard".There were a few people there,like at the end of a funeral. <BR>Last year I went to Sligo again.I had heard that there was a coffee shop built beside the churchyard and indeed there was.What really amazed me though was that there were 52 cars and 5 buses parked there-a great tribute to the first Irish poet who won the Nobel Prize for Literature. <BR>

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 10:35 AM
cmt

Cal <BR>by Bernard MacLaverty <BR>(northern Ireland - very tragic, written very well but VERY tersely)

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 10:41 AM
KT

Not current, but Frank O'Connor, who died in the 1960's was an absolute master of the short story. Also, here's another vote for William Trevor and Edna O'Brien. <BR> <BR>Sorry, I don't really know much about younger contemporary Irish writers, but here's a suggestion: check out the book reviews in the Irish Times (www.ireland.com) or other Irish newspapers online.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 11:11 AM
Mary

James Joyce isn't current, but I can't imagine visiting Ireland without reading at least one book of his. If you're new to Joyce, I'd recommend "Dubliners," which is a collection of short stories that together create an incredibly powerful reading experience. Also, I think the suggestion to read some Yeats is a very good one. <BR> <BR>Note to Ann: "The Van" is available in this country on VHS. Great little movie.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 11:15 AM
AC

Lynn; <BR>Nora Roberts has set two of her <BR>trilogies in Ireland. <BR>Born in Fire, Born in Ice and Born in Shame <BR>Jewels of the Sun, Tears of the Moon and Heart of the Sea. Enjoy! <BR>

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 11:20 AM
Ann

Edmund, I will arise and go now.... and sit alone in the bee-loud glade. Memories of childhood.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 11:31 AM
sarahtroy

All Liam O'Flaherty's novels.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 05:13 AM
angel

Am also a Binchy fan, particularly "Evening Class," "Tara Road," "The Glass Lake," "Circle of Friends," and "Firefly Summer." <BR> <BR>"Finbar's Hotel" and "Ladies Night at Finbar's" are light, entertaining reading. <BR> <BR>Have read one of the Nora Roberts triologies -- "Born in Fire," "Born in Ice" and "Born in Shame." If you can read "Shame" and NOT be in love with Murphy, you are stronger than I am! Oh, what a man. <BR>

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -