Czech Republic Medical Insurance

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm traveing to the Czech Republic on a multi-country guided tour. We will arrive in Prague by bus. The tour company says that medical insurance coverage of at least $45K is required. Can someone tell me if and how they check. I have an insurance card and unlimited coverage under a private plan. Will that be acceptable? Is there any other proof of coverge I should carry? Thanks. I'd hate to buy an additional policy I'll never use.
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 11:27 AM

How could we possibly answer such a specific question unless we had done the exact same trip with the exact same company? You need to ask the tour company - ask who will be checking, and where, and what documents will satisfy them?
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 12:46 PM

What tour company is asking for proof of your medical insurance and mandating the coverage limit?
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 05:55 PM

Exactly you have to ask the tour company. Assuming you ahve private insurance you just need to check that it will cover you outside the US (assuming that's where you are coming from) - eitherby paying the prvodier directly or reimbursing you for the ocst of care.

Have traveled all over Europe - including Czech Republic several times as well as Poland, Hungary, Russia etc - and no one has ever asked about my health insurance. I just bring my usual insurance card with me (but it is NOT an HMO and does reimburse me for care at any licensed heathcare faciity.)
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 10:11 AM

Sorry - my understanding is that Medicare does NOT cover care outside the US. Anyone on Medicare would have to buy health insurance (perhaps part of travel insurance) to cover the trip
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 06:48 AM

Czech law does require the coverage, but no one has ever asked me to prove it when I've travelled there. I do carry my health insurance card with me at all times (my company covers medical care world wide).
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 07:14 AM

I did some researcha couple of years back - bottom line is that no one will ask you if you have it. But, if you do havea health issue you will want to havea some type of coveragge... You may have to pay up front (bring a cc with available credit), but your carrier should reimburse - just check with them first on coverage and process. I am with a very large National carrier and it is no problem.
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 01:06 AM

unlikely you will be asked to provide evidence of your health cover but make sure you take one up in case of emergencies.
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 01:10 AM

<<< I have an insurance card and unlimited coverage under a private plan. Will that be acceptable? >>>

You'd have to ask your plan provider.
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 09:52 AM

It is very unlikely that it will be "accepted" if you mean the provider will just take a copy of the card. You will probably have to pay the bill yourelf and when you get home send to your provider for reimbursement. (Make sure you get all necessary documents in English.)
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 10:13 AM

NY traveller is correct. Most countries do not "accept" US Healthacre insurance cards as "payment". You will be expected to pay, get a bill (English is great if you can get it) and then submitt to your carrier for reimbursement. when sub,iiting, provide a copy of ypour cc statement that shows the conversion rate they used. If you do not your carrier will use the opening bell rate on the date of service, which may be different. So, carry a cc with a reasonably high (unused) limit.... or an AX card - AX will approve expenses in an emergency.