Search

Ireland trip next week

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 12:47 PM
JRK
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland trip next week

Ok Fodorite's, my wife and I along with two friends (all ages 28-31) are preparing for our first trip to Ireland next week, and we need a little advice. We've chosen the self-driven tour approach to our 10-day trip.

We have planned three nights in Galway (Park House Hotel), two nights in Killarney (Alderhaven country home B&B), one night outside of Cork (Ardfield farmhouse B&B), and three nights in Dublin (Dublin Holiday Inn).

My question for you experts is this. On day 1, we arrive at SNN airport from the USA at 9am. Our plan on the first day was to drive from the airport to the Cliffs of Moher and then continue on to Galway.

Also, we are planning to get up early on day 2 for a day trip up to Connemara/Clifden. We are assuming that the traffic won't be horrible if we are out early enough. The guys will play golf at Connemara Links while the girls explore Clifden.

We are all energetic people who want to see and do a lot while we are there, but we don't want to over-do it. Even though I don't think jet-lag will be a problem for us, do you think this is too much driving in the first two days of our trip?
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 01:07 PM

I didn't really care for Galway myself.
I was there for two weeks in 2006 an i drove 2500.00 miles i would suggest a gps if possible since the sighs aren't great.
So in answer to your question i don't think so,
Shannnon airport is much easier getting out of than Dublin.By the time you get to Dublin you will have the driving down.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 01:21 PM

If you are right about jet-lag, then I think it is a reasonable project for energetic young people.

I hope at least one of the women drives, because Clifden is probably not sufficiently interesting to fill the time a round of golf will take -- but there is plenty of good stuff within easy driving distance, such as Roundstone in one direction and Connemara National Park in another.

Galway is fine, and has a buzz about it that appeals particularly to young people.

I suggest that you go out from Galway by the coast road, even though it is a longer journey, and return by the N52, the main road between Clifden and Galway. That way, you get different scenic experiences.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 01:58 PM

If you're considering Connemara Isles Golf links, forget it! If you don't mind an hours drive (from Clifden or Westport) to play Golf, look at Carne Golf Links outside Belmullet (County Mayo). It's a rewarding golf experience and it doesn't cost an arm & a leg like Ballybunion or Old Head
Carne has a website www.carnegolflinks.ie you can do a walkthrough of the entire 18-holes. It's rated 43rd in the top hundred courses in the WORLD!
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 06:50 AM
JRK
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great advice everyone!

Padraig, we'll definitely take your advice on driving the coast line from Galway to Connemara. We were planning to add all four of our names to the rental car contract so we can all drive.

As for golf, we are not playing Connemara Isles. Connemara Links in Ballyconneely is the one we have a tee time for: http://www.connemaragolflinks.com/.

Indeed, Carne links looks amazing too, but I thought it was a bit far from Galway city centre.
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 02:42 PM

Well, I played Connemara Isles and enjoyed it quite a bit. Quality of the rental gear was a bit suspect but I thought the course, while not perfectly manicured was a blast and the scenery was spectacular.

Bill
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 05:54 AM

JRK writes: "Indeed, Carne links looks amazing too, but I thought it was a bit far from Galway city centre."

True enough! But from this hacker's point of view, skipping Carne would be like going to Scotland and skipping the Old Course at St. Andrews.

Bill: Granted, Connemara Isles is very scenic from the Thatched roof clubhouse to the bay views from #4 to #6; but chances are that you'll have at least one rocky lie that you'll have to lift and drop from. I wouldn't play it with my own clubs
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 06:36 AM

They are not playing Connemara Isles; they are playing Connemara Golf Club. It's quite a different proposition.
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 07:04 AM

Yes, there are a few spots you can find the rocks, but that's what the shoe wedge is for.
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 11:28 AM

Ah yes..Connamara Golf Club, I remember it well..Irons only as the wind was fierce, the seagrass deep and laying flat, the course poorly marked as to where the t boxes were and after 4 holes and 6 lost balls I quit and headed for Clifden and a pub. My husband, for one of the few times on a golf course was in agreement with me. That said the experience of a round in Ireland is not to be sniffed at "a tall, a tall"..Get rid of the car in Dublin you not only don't need one but it may ruin your trip if you keep one..And again that said you might consider a day trip out of D. (in the car) to Newgrange..Dropping the car at DUB before doing the city.. Have a ball..Amer_can
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 04:03 PM

I have played at both Conemara Golf Club and Belmullet (Carne) and loved them both. Carne is a course I would fly across the Atlantic to play for a weekend. I also have to disagree with the poster who walked off the course(Conemarra) because it was poorly marked and they lost 4 balls in 6 holes. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Carne though is quite the drive from Clifden and I met some golfers who had driven there from Clifden and were not looking forward to driving back after their round and they had a driver, they just wanted to clean up and hit a pub or restaurant as the weather and hills of Carne can sap some serious energy from you. It also is of note to remember that these folks will be sleeping in Galway, so add even more to the driving and you will be knocked out tired.
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 04:39 PM

Golf is one of many things I failed to master, so I cannot comment as a player. A friend of mine who is a good striker of the ball is a member in Connemara and praises it as a seriously good links course. But it has an exposed location, and can get very windy; then it's a real brute, especially challenging for those used to sheltered inland courses with well-watered greens. Links golf on a windy day is a different game.