Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ireland trip May 2005 - please advise on these bed and breakfast options.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. I'm still planning the Irish leg of our May 2005 trip to Europe.
Using advice from people on this forum and bed and breakfast information from the Irish tourist services in Johannesburg, I've come up with these options. We are looking for ensuite rooms and a rate of about 35 euros per person sharing. Any advice will be gratefully received.

In the Wicklow/Avoca area, we are looking at either Gormanstown Manor or Woodenbridge Hotel. I'd welcome suggestions here because Woodenbridge is a little more expensive than I'd like and I'm having trouble accessing the Gormanstown Manor web page through eircom.net. Wouldn't mind being near Avoca - I was a big Ballykissangel fan.

For the Waterford-Wexford-Ballhack area - Glendine Country House in Arthurstown. I've emailed them and asked for a price for an ensuite room.

Cobh - we've read good things about the Seafield here and I've emailed them and understand the rate for May 3005 will be about 35 euros per person sharing.

Kinsale - Cephas House.

Kenmare probably Seanua.

Dingle - The Shores - have read really enthusiastic reviews here.

Bunratty area - we want to be near the castle because we plan to enthusiastically take part in the banquet - so either Bunratty Lodge or Dunaree.

Doolin - Atlantic Sunset looks good.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Lisa.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 08:34 AM

The only one I can comment on is the Bunratty Lodge. We stayed there in May of 2003 as our last night in Ireland before flying out of Shannon. We too took part in the banquet, it was loads of fun. As I recall, the owner of the lodge is Mary Browne. The lodge is only about one mile or less down the same road the Castle is on. Very nice facility. Expensive home. Mary Browne was nice. She did get up early (and I mean early) to make us a breakfast before our morning flight. I don't recall the time, but it was a head of the normal breakfast hours. Have a great time. Let me know if you have any other questions that I can help with!
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank for the information on Bunratty Lodge. That's really useful to know. I thought we would have to skip breakfast a few days so we could get early starts. Although, based on the comments on this forum concerning the enormous breakfasts served, I might still want to skip a few!
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 09:35 AM

The breakfasts are pretty good in Ireland. My wife and I never went hugry. Eggs, meat (I did not care for the black pudding, but the white pudding was OK) and, best of all, oatmeal with Bailey's Irish Cream poured onto the top. That's the way to start the day alright!
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 09:37 AM

By my "expensive home" comment earlier about the Bunratty Lodge, what I meant to say was that the home that the lodge is a part of looks "expensive". The cost of the room was quite moderate, as I recall. Quiet place. You will like it. Take the road the castle is on away from the highway. When you come to a stop in the road and are facing a "T" intersection, the Bunratty Lodge sits across from you a slight angle to the left. It was painted blue and white in 2003!
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

I'm not fond of oatmeal, but you just made it sound like something I have to try. Yum. I understand, from previous posts, that Bailey's features in lots of desserts too.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 11:30 AM

You have not lived until you've had Irish Oatmeal or "porridge". Nothing like our gloppy US oatmeal, the Irish oatmeal is steel cut so you can taste each flake, with a nutty taste, unlike the wallpaper paste we are used to here. With a little bit of "pouring cream" over the top of it, it will be a haven from the continually heavy Irsih breakfasts you'll be served.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 11:53 AM

LisainSA:

We had ensuite rooms at Glendine House just this July! 2 nights. Beautiful, huge farm house. I think they have like 11 rooms. Long haired cows(they look like teddy bears), jack deer and sheep. The breakfast was great, the house beautiful. Soup and bread available all day if you like. We really enjoyed it, the rooms were spacious with all the amenities!
We also stayed at Seanua in Kenmare. Alison and Andy were the best hosts we've ever had and the rooms again, were spacious and so beautifully decorated, cozy. Her breakfast was outstanding, I just can't brag on them enough. Great place to stay for venturing out on day trips.
We stayed at Dromoland our last night, very close to the Shannon airport and we did the Medievel Festival at Burnratty. Eating with the fingers, entertained by flute and the lyre and jesters in their full regalia. Food was good, the mead was great, all the wine you can drink is included. Durty Nelly's has a great sandwich, too.
In Cobh we ate at the Titanic, again, great sandwich (I had a turkey/sage dressing, wow.)Not really pricey either, you can eat on deck and view the harbor.
Have fun, wish I could go back already!
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 12:03 PM

JBmonts, we're going to Ireland next week and have already booked the banquet at Bunratty on our first night. Can't wait to have that mead!
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 12:17 PM

The banquet itself is quite humorous. The guys wear leotards and velvet and the women wear velvet as well. They do allow you to sit with your party. The mead was so yummy, my hubby and I really enjoyed it. They served red and white wine with dinner and the refills kept coming. We got to see a little of the village before the show, also. They sell the honey mead at Blarney Woolen Mills right across the street. There's an Avoco (I think thats how you spell it) right there, too. So some decent shopping is to be had right there. Please have a glass of mead for me, and bring yourself back some or you'll be searching the internet looking for it like I did!
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

These responses make me long for Ireland and it's ages until May 2005. Can't wait for your trip report Leona.
And thanks for all the info on the banquet jbmonts.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Hello. Have decided to stay in Kilkenny, rather than the Ballyhack/Waterford area because there seem to be more accommodation options. Would love to stay at Butler House in Kilkenny, but the room rate of 170 euros for a double is far too much.
Have sent off some emails for bed and breakfasts in Wicklow, so I'm holding thumbs we'll find a good one for this area too.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 10:08 AM

Lisa - I stayed at Dunaree at the end of June. it was the last night of my trip but by far, the best B&B we stayed in while in Ireland. The room and bathroom were huge, and the beds very comfrotable. The hostess was very nice and she makes an AWESOME breakfast. You can choose between the Traditional Irish breakfast, french toast, or pancakes. I had the pancakes - and I can firmly state that they are the best pancakes I've ever had! I highly recommend Dunaree.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the Dunaree recommendation. It sounds amazing. I don't know how we will choose between that and Bunratty Lodge - about which I've also read rave reviews. It's great to have a couple of good choices in case one is full when it comes time to book.
Thanks again.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 10:46 AM
gig

Lisa,

I am planning a May 2005 trip to Ireland as well. We plan on staying at Cill Bhreac in Dingle & Headley House in Bunratty. Haven't decided on where to stay in Kinsale. Did you find a website for Cephas House? Our other stops include Galway, Dublin, Curragh & Tramore.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Hi Gig. On a previous thread dealing with Kinsale lodging, wojazz3 wrote:

I don't believe that the Cephas House has it's own website. They can be found at:
http://www.townandcountry.ie/premise...remesisid=1971
Whic is Town and Country's site. You can also see pictures of the view at:
http://www.geocities.com/obeirne_ire...03/kinsale.htm
and there are a few more pictures on the more pictures link. Additionally, if you go to the 1st Crookhaven link on the same site and then it's More Pictures link at the bottom, you'll find some pictures there. All of the pics are "clickable" to enlarge.

Old Aug 5th, 2004, 11:21 AM
gig

Thanks for the links,Lisa! I have read some great things about the Cephas House but was "leary" of just the one photo from the porch that I keep seeing on various bed and breakfast site. I am sure you are counting the days till May like me!
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

I can't wait to go to Ireland. My travel agent says they can't book flights until about nine months before departure - end of this month I should have the tickets in my grubby paws! Our trip also includes seven days in Scotland and three or four days in Paris - but Ireland is easily my big obsession.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 11:45 AM
gig

Lisa,

I can relate to being obsessed! We already have our Aer Lingus tickets in hand! Your trip sounds wonderful.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Gig, you are so lucky. I know the holiday is real already, but having the tickets will make it more so.
Have you got a web site for your Dingle bed and breakfast. We had thought of staying at The Shores in Castlegreggory, but it might be better to stay in Dingle in case we want to go into Dingle for a wander at night. Although The Shores does sound mighty tempting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -