Ireland travel guide recommendations?

Jun 3rd, 2002, 12:31 PM
Marisa

Ireland travel guide recommendations?

Looking for a good travel guide to buy as a present for my parents, who will be in Ireland in July. They've never been to Ireland before. They will be renting a car and spending the bulk of their time in the southeast/southwest areas of Ireland. I have Lonely Planet Ireland and like it, but will be with them part of the trip and would like to get them a different guide. Plus, I like Lonely Planet a lot but think might be a little more geared to the younger/backpack crowd. They're in their 50s, more middle of the road budget-wise, although willing to splurge occasionally. Any suggestions?

Jun 3rd, 2002, 12:42 PM
Cathy

Marisa,

One guide that is highly recommended on this site is Pat Preston's Ireland at a Glimpse. I haven't used it myself (I am Irish and don't think I need it) but her cookery book Ireland Memories is one of my favourites. Hope this helps and you should also check out her site at www.irelandexpert.com and the Irish Tourist Board site www.ireland.travel.ie.

Hope this helps,

Cathy

Jun 3rd, 2002, 11:14 PM
maya

Marisa, Pat Preston's book is Day Trips Ireland not Ireland at a Glimpse. Though she does sell the latter book on her web site. I very much enjoyed the tone and ease of use of Best Little Guide to Ireland which I got on the web site www.irelandyes.com I was there last April and enjoyed everything. Have the best trip!!!!

Jun 4th, 2002, 01:40 AM
Lillie Harty

Michelin`s Green Guide has a lot of useful information,including details of sites open to the public and suggested tours.

Jun 4th, 2002, 02:07 AM
Alec

I too am going to Ireland in the summer and was looking at a range of guidebooks available here in UK (possibly on sale in US as well?). There are three that caught my eyes, apart from lonelyplanet, roughguide, fodors etc I knew about. Michelin has two guides - one the famous green guide, and the new Neos guide which is like a combination of green and red, and all in English [ISBN 2-06-100058-4]. There's also Routard Guide [ISBN 1-84-202024-2], translated from French, which mixes sightseeing tips with practical info, geared more towards budget traveller than Michelin.

Jun 4th, 2002, 02:12 AM
Tangata

I have the Eyewitness guide to Ireland. Found it excellent on all counts.

Jun 4th, 2002, 06:09 AM
Dan

My folks have been to Ireland several times, in their 70's and always use Fodor's Guide. Seem to always like the trips. They also carry the "Ireland- Be our guest" Hotel and Guesthouse Guide, which you can get on www.irelandhotels.com.

Hope this helps

Jun 4th, 2002, 06:16 AM
Ann

I like the Eyewitness Guide. But to be honest, there's not much difference among the major guides.

Jun 4th, 2002, 03:57 PM
Bill

I liked the Michelin Green guide, but it's arranged alphabetically instead of by area so you need to jump around a bit. Very good descriptions though.

Bord Failte (the Irish Tourist Board) also puts out an excellent book and as I remember, they list the things to do in an area when the weather is bad. It came in handy on my recent trip.

Bill

Jun 5th, 2002, 07:01 PM
mp

bill, what is the title and isbn # of the board falte book?