Ireland/Scotland Trip Report

Old Sep 10th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland/Scotland Trip Report

Ireland:
We flew into Dublin and rented a van, there were 6 of us, and had to upgrade to a bigger vehicle since their 6 seater had NO room for baggage. We needed to drop the vehicle off in Belfast, N. Ireland and found that Budget could accommodate us. On our way to Foxford in Mayo county we took a drive to the Hill of Tara, in Meath, a very interesting place with biblical significance. We spent a week in Ireland in a cottage nestled between Lough Conn and Lough Cullin in Pontoon, Ireland. The scenery in this area was wonderful. Beautiful Swans on the lakes, trees reaching over the roads, bramble berries growing everywhere, quaint little villages with flower baskets overflowing with vivid colors, thatched roofs, green fields with fluffy white sheep and stacked rock walls for miles, lakes, bridges, rivers and warm and friendly people. The bogs where they gather peat for burning are very interesting. Purple heather colors the countryside. While there we visited many places, driving through beautiful countryside and along breathtaking ocean views. There are ruins along the way and every view worthy of a picture and a postcard. The towns of Castlebar, Westport and Clifden are quaint, clean, fun to walk through and shop in. The people are helpful and love Americans. It rained everyday, but we didn't mind. In Foxford there is a woolen mill and we all bought a beautiful sweater. The roads are quite narrow and winding and driving on the left side of the road is difficult at first but you quickly get used to it. The food was great. Very tasty and plentiful. We had a GPS and it was well worth the expense. The Kylemore Abbey is a beautiful place to spend an afternoon. Once a castle it is now a private school, museum and visitors center. It's walled garden is unbelievable. A must see. We enjoyed a sunset on the veranda of the Pontoon Bridge Hotel overlooking Lough Conn while we had yummy desserts. It was time to move on with our trip and we drove through Sligo, with high green mountains and cascading waterfalls, into Enniskillen North Ireland, stopping at the old castle and getting some history on the area. We continued onto Belfast where we drove through the busy city center and to the City airport where we dropped off our car and were transported by Gransha Taxis to the Larne Port for our 2 hour ferry ride into Troon, Scotland. Our taxi was right on time and had a 7 seater minibus ready for us. Everything went as planned and the ferry , provided by Irish P & O (booked through directferries.co.uk), from Larne Port to Troon was enjoyable and very comfortable. On arrival in Troon there were taxis ready and available to take us to our overnight stay at the Piersland House Hotel in Troon.
Scotland:
I'm not sure which country I loved more. I want to go back and spend a month in each. The time flew by too quickly. Our stay at the Piersland House Hotel in Troon was very enjoyable. We booked them through Hotels.com. The rooms are little cottages, the grounds are beautiful, the food in the restaurant delicious. We took a shuttle to our car rental agency, 5th gear, and picked up a large 9 seater van and took a side trip down to Culzean Castle along the coast. Another beautiful setting, with walled gardens, swan pond, deer park and huge castle. Driving North we went through Glasglow, a large city, towards Perth we stopped in Sterling where a monument to William Wallace (Braveheart) sits atop the highest point in the valley. We did not have the time to visit Sterling Castle as it was getting later in the day and we still had a ways to go. We continued on to our next destination. We picked a cottage on a loch (in Scotland it is spelled Loch) in Perthshire, next to the Glengoulandie Park, just outside of the village of Aberfeldy. All the cottages on this trip were booked through Holiday-Rentals, a very good, easy to navigate website that has rentals all over the world. I would highly recommend it. While here we enjoyed watching the deer that grace the hillside and the ducks on the water. Going into Aberfeldy and Pitlochry for groceries, shopping and entertaining. These two towns are so picturesque, quaint and fun. Loch Ness to the north was one of the highlights of the trip. The drive is a bit long but there is so much to see along the way. We stopped off at Urquhart Castle. Very old and a great picture opt. Don't miss the Invermoriston Bridge along the way. It is easy to miss but what a gorgeous setting. In the town of Fort Agustus we watched as they work the locks to get the boats from Loch Ness up the Caledonian Canal or back out to the Loch. It was great to witness this. Blair Castle, Atholl Estates, Castle Menzies and the Birks of Aberfeldy were fun places to visit. In Dunkeld there is a Beatrix Potter Exhibition, she is the author and illustrator of the Peter Rabbit books. Also the abbey there is a great stop. The drive along Loch Tummel and the Queens view should not be missed. The drive along Loch Tay on the west side is long and winding, with a very narrow road, but the Crannog Center is an interesting place to stop and the reward at the end where the Falls of Dochart, at Killen, can be seen is breathtaking and well worth it. You can also access them on the A827 instead. Perthshire is lush with vegetation, trees, heather, flowers, streams, bridges, ruins, abbeys and so much to see. We now had to leave this beautiful area and head south through Perth and to the Scone Palace with it's history of Moot Hill where the Kings of Scotland were crowned and annointed, Macbeth, Robert the Bruce and Charles ll walked here before they were crowned on the "Stone of Scone". The band RunRig was playing there that evening. We fed peacocks crackers from our hands. From there to Edinburgh and down to the town of Hawick, on the Scottish Borders, where our ancestors are from. Arriving at our little cottage we quickly settled in. The family name of Scott is famous around these areas as well as Armstrong, Elliott, Little and Beccleugh, so we felt right at home here. We visited Johnny Armstrongs grave in Carlenrig, Glenockie Tower, several graveyards and the Hermitage Castle. There is so much interesting history in these areas. Next on our plan was to drive south into England towards Carlisle and visit Hadrian's wall. The wall was built in 122 AD and is @ 73 feet long from sea to sea, and in places it was 15 feet wide, with forts and towers, in other places it housed many people and had all sorts of village settings. It is truly amazing and a must see. In Jedburgh we visited the Castle and the Abbey. It is worth taking the audio tour and walking through such fascinating architecture. Our next stop was at Abbotsford House, the estate of Sir Walter Scott. Of which our family is a direct descendent. The history, home and grounds of this place were wonderful. We then proceeded to Melrose, just a short distance and visited the Melrose Abbey, where the embalmed heart of Robert the Bruce is laid to rest. The ruins are stunning. This part of the trip was now coming to an end for my husband and myself. We were leaving my mother in law and her 3 sisters in Scotland to do geneology and enjoy a couple of weeks of a slower pace. On the last day or our trip the 2 of us enjoyed a day in Edinburgh, visiting the Edinburgh castle and doing the audio tour, taking in so much history and the views of the entire city were great. On the road entering the castle, which is a quaint, cobblestone, picturesque setting we entered the woolen mills, in the basement they weave all the fabric used for the kilts, blankets, and scarves of the different clans. My husband dressed in a kilt, with bagpipes and had a picture taken. This was something I wanted to have done the entire trip. We took a walk through the busy streets and came upon a monument to Sir Walter Scott. The tower is an amazing architectural feat that takes 287 steps up through a circular enclosed tower to the top, where the views of the city and the castle are amazing. That evening we spent it at the Marriott Dalmahoy Hotel, the next morning we took a taxi to the airport and flew home. This was a wonderful trip and a place I want to return to sometime. Well worth the time and expense. There is so much we didn't have time to see. After much consideration about cell phones I went with Brightroam.com and was very pleased. Get a sim card for every country you will be visiting. Ireland and Scotland need different ones. Voda phone in Ireland was helpful as well. Ireland only takes Euros, N, Ireland and Scotland take GBP (pounds). Tipping is not necessary at restaurants as the VAT is always included. I hope this helps you as you plan your next trip. Til the next one, Like they say, cheers and jolley.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 10:24 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Hi pepperwood.

I'm going to come back in a bit to try to read your report -- but a suggestion/hint.

It is MUCH easier to read when there are paragraph breaks.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 10:52 AM

I agree. Impossible to read as is.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 10:54 AM
ron

Yes, paragraphing would have been helpful, as would proof reading. Hadrian’s Wall is a bit longer than 73 feet.

I don’t think I have ever seen a put-down of a great city as astounding as your dismissal of Glasgow in two words.

Finally, VAT is a sales tax and is therefore not a substitute for leaving a tip.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 10:54 AM

'Tipping is not necessary at restaurants as the VAT is always included'
I'm sorry that is completely wrong! Tipping is customary and about 10-12%....obviously if the service is rubbish, then you tend not to tip.
Occasionally a restaurant will add a service charge to the bill, but you don't have to pay it, unless you want to, or unless it says that a charge is included for a large party.
VAT is a tax that the business pays to the government and has absolutely nothing to do with tipping!
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 10:56 AM

Oh yes, and Glasgow is a fantastic, vibrant, friendly and cultural city ....you missed out there.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 11:44 AM

"VAT is a tax that the business pays to the government and has absolutely nothing to do with tipping!"

I think the OP may have been getting VAT mixed up with "Service Charge".
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 12:42 PM

Loved your trip report. It's funny my husband's Ggrandfather worked and was married in Hawick, with references to Jedburgh as well. Perhaps we are related . I've wanted to do the genealogy research in Scotland since I found out the area DH's people are from.

Scotland is my next dream trip.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 01:27 PM

What a bunch of meanies. It's a lovely trip report and thank you for posting it.

(par breaks would have been good, tho'
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 01:45 PM

I think the OP may have been getting VAT mixed up with "Service Charge".

Very few places include a service charge
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 02:26 PM

I wasn't being mean. It is very hard to read w/o paragraphs. I have made it through the first part -- but haven't yet waded through the rest.

It is a shame to put that much work into a TR and it end up almost unreadable.

In the past, I've helped folks by copy/pasting their TR's and re-posting for them w/ breaks. But it is time consuming and I don't have the time just now. I'll try to get back to it later tonight . . . .
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your thoughts and information. I mainly did the report for my families benefit and have e-mailed them a larger font and easier to read set-up. I figured that I owed the report to anyone who is interested in the areas we visited. I'm sorry it is hard to read. Live and learn

A far as Glasgow, we only drove through it on the freeway heading up to our lodge in Perthshire and we had not alloted time to stop there as we had to reach our destination before dark and we were interested in stopping in Sterling. I did not put the city down, I just had no information on it, hence "my dismissal of Glasgow in two words".

On the topic of tipping, as we sat at the Beccleugh Hotel Restaurant in Hawick we struck up a conversation with residents of that town. They were the ones that told us we did not need to tip anymore than 1 or 2 pounds and to hand it directly to the waitress or waitresses upon leaving. We had been tipping as we do in the US, 15-20%. All the service we had everywhere was wonderful. These were 3 couples that were quite friendly and helpful with information about the area.

Yes, Hadrian's wall is 73 MILES long. I apologize for the mistake. I do not feel like it was a waste of my time doing this report even though it is hard for you to read. I wish it was easier so it would be more enjoyable for all of you. I enjoyed writing it as I recalled great times, looked through beautiful pictures and was grateful for all I saw and experienced.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 04:38 PM

<B>Ireland:</B> We flew into Dublin and rented a van, there were 6 of us, and had to upgrade to a bigger vehicle since their 6 seater had NO room for baggage. We needed to drop the vehicle off in Belfast, N. Ireland and found that Budget could accommodate us. On our way to Foxford in Mayo county we took a drive to the Hill of Tara, in Meath, a very interesting place with biblical significance. We spent a week in Ireland in a cottage nestled between Lough Conn and Lough Cullin in Pontoon, Ireland.

The scenery in this area was wonderful. Beautiful Swans on the lakes, trees reaching over the roads, bramble berries growing everywhere, quaint little villages with flower baskets overflowing with vivid colors, thatched roofs, green fields with fluffy white sheep and stacked rock walls for miles, lakes, bridges, rivers and warm and friendly people. The bogs where they gather peat for burning are very interesting. Purple heather colors the countryside. While there we visited many places, driving through beautiful countryside and along breathtaking ocean views. There are ruins along the way and every view worthy of a picture and a postcard.

The towns of Castlebar, Westport and Clifden are quaint, clean, fun to walk through and shop in. The people are helpful and love Americans. It rained everyday, but we didn't mind. In Foxford there is a woolen mill and we all bought a beautiful sweater. The roads are quite narrow and winding and driving on the left side of the road is difficult at first but you quickly get used to it. The food was great. Very tasty and plentiful. We had a GPS and it was well worth the expense.

The Kylemore Abbey is a beautiful place to spend an afternoon. Once a castle it is now a private school, museum and visitors center. It's walled garden is unbelievable. A must see. We enjoyed a sunset on the veranda of the Pontoon Bridge Hotel overlooking Lough Conn while we had yummy desserts.

It was time to move on with our trip and we drove through Sligo, with high green mountains and cascading waterfalls, into Enniskillen North Ireland, stopping at the old castle and getting some history on the area. We continued onto Belfast where we drove through the busy city center and to the City airport where we dropped off our car and were transported by Gransha Taxis to the Larne Port for our 2 hour ferry ride into Troon, Scotland.

Our taxi was right on time and had a 7 seater minibus ready for us. Everything went as planned and the ferry , provided by Irish P & O (booked through directferries.co.uk), from Larne Port to Troon was enjoyable and very comfortable. On arrival in Troon there were taxis ready and available to take us to our overnight stay at the Piersland House Hotel in Troon.

<B>Scotland:</B> I'm not sure which country I loved more. I want to go back and spend a month in each. The time flew by too quickly.

Our stay at the Piersland House Hotel in Troon was very enjoyable. We booked them through Hotels.com. The rooms are little cottages, the grounds are beautiful, the food in the restaurant delicious. We took a shuttle to our car rental agency, 5th gear, and picked up a large 9 seater van and took a side trip down to Culzean Castle along the coast. Another beautiful setting, with walled gardens, swan pond, deer park and huge castle.

Driving North we went through Glasglow, a large city, towards Perth we stopped in Sterling where a monument to William Wallace (Braveheart) sits atop the highest point in the valley. We did not have the time to visit Sterling Castle as it was getting later in the day and we still had a ways to go.

We continued on to our next destination. We picked a cottage on a loch (in Scotland it is spelled Loch) in Perthshire, next to the Glengoulandie Park, just outside of the village of Aberfeldy. All the cottages on this trip were booked through Holiday-Rentals, a very good, easy to navigate website that has rentals all over the world. I would highly recommend it.

While here we enjoyed watching the deer that grace the hillside and the ducks on the water. Going into Aberfeldy and Pitlochry for groceries, shopping and entertaining. These two towns are so picturesque, quaint and fun. Loch Ness to the north was one of the highlights of the trip. The drive is a bit long but there is so much to see along the way. We stopped off at Urquhart Castle. Very old and a great picture opt. Don't miss the Invermoriston Bridge along the way. It is easy to miss but what a gorgeous setting.

In the town of Fort Agustus we watched as they work the locks to get the boats from Loch Ness up the Caledonian Canal or back out to the Loch. It was great to witness this. Blair Castle, Atholl Estates, Castle Menzies and the Birks of Aberfeldy were fun places to visit. In Dunkeld there is a Beatrix Potter Exhibition, she is the author and illustrator of the Peter Rabbit books. Also the abbey there is a great stop. The drive along Loch Tummel and the Queens view should not be missed. The drive along Loch Tay on the west side is long and winding, with a very narrow road, but the Crannog Center is an interesting place to stop and the reward at the end where the Falls of Dochart, at Killen, can be seen is breathtaking and well worth it. You can also access them on the A827 instead.

Perthshire is lush with vegetation, trees, heather, flowers, streams, bridges, ruins, abbeys and so much to see. We now had to leave this beautiful area and head south through Perth and to the Scone Palace with it's history of Moot Hill where the Kings of Scotland were crowned and annointed, Macbeth, Robert the Bruce and Charles ll walked here before they were crowned on the "Stone of Scone". The band RunRig was playing there that evening. We fed peacocks crackers from our hands.

From there to Edinburgh and down to the town of Hawick, on the Scottish Borders, where our ancestors are from. Arriving at our little cottage we quickly settled in. The family name of Scott is famous around these areas as well as Armstrong, Elliott, Little and Beccleugh, so we felt right at home here. We visited Johnny Armstrongs grave in Carlenrig, Glenockie Tower, several graveyards and the Hermitage Castle. There is so much interesting history in these areas.

Next on our plan was to drive south into England towards Carlisle and visit Hadrian's wall. The wall was built in 122 AD and is @ 73 feet long from sea to sea, and in places it was 15 feet wide, with forts and towers, in other places it housed many people and had all sorts of village settings. It is truly amazing and a must see.

In Jedburgh we visited the Castle and the Abbey. It is worth taking the audio tour and walking through such fascinating architecture. Our next stop was at Abbotsford House, the estate of Sir Walter Scott. Of which our family is a direct descendent. The history, home and grounds of this place were wonderful. We then proceeded to Melrose, just a short distance and visited the Melrose Abbey, where the embalmed heart of Robert the Bruce is laid to rest. The ruins are stunning.

This part of the trip was now coming to an end for my husband and myself. We were leaving my mother in law and her 3 sisters in Scotland to do geneology and enjoy a couple of weeks of a slower pace. On the last day or our trip the 2 of us enjoyed a day in Edinburgh, visiting the Edinburgh castle and doing the audio tour, taking in so much history and the views of the entire city were great. On the road entering the castle, which is a quaint, cobblestone, picturesque setting we entered the woolen mills, in the basement they weave all the fabric used for the kilts, blankets, and scarves of the different clans. My husband dressed in a kilt, with bagpipes and had a picture taken. This was something I wanted to have done the entire trip.

We took a walk through the busy streets and came upon a monument to Sir Walter Scott. The tower is an amazing architectural feat that takes 287 steps up through a circular enclosed tower to the top, where the views of the city and the castle are amazing. That evening we spent it at the Marriott Dalmahoy Hotel, the next morning we took a taxi to the airport and flew home. This was a wonderful trip and a place I want to return to sometime. Well worth the time and expense. There is so much we didn't have time to see.

After much consideration about cell phones I went with Brightroam.com and was very pleased. Get a sim card for every country you will be visiting. Ireland and Scotland need different ones. Voda phone in Ireland was helpful as well. Ireland only takes Euros, N, Ireland and Scotland take GBP (pounds). Tipping is not necessary at restaurants as the VAT is always included. I hope this helps you as you plan your next trip. Til the next one, Like they say, cheers and jolley.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 04:38 PM

There - now maybe more people will read it . . . . .
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. I really appreciate it.
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 06:32 AM

Alihutch,
"Very few places include a service charge". I wasn't defending it, I just couldn't understand how the OP would think VAT was a tip !!

Regards.
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 07:52 AM

Hooameye,
Sorry, I didn't think that you were......I just meant that apart from the obvious way that I also couldn't see how they could mix it up.....it wasn't like there would have even been many places that had a service charged to be mixed up.....er, if you see what I mean....
And pepperwood, Glasgow is the biggest city in Scotland.....and er, Sterling is spelt Stirling...in case anyone else is trying to find out info....
But glad that you had a great trip....and my friend designed the stone that Robert the Bruce's heart is buried under....
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 09:53 AM

pepperwood: Thank you for posting the trip report. I always enjoy reading them. Do you have pictures somewhere online that we can see? It doesn't matter how many times I've seen different pictures of the same place, they are still so interesting! And tipping, svc. charge, VAT (whatever, and whichever!) is information I want to have a clear understanding of- so appreciate any discussion.

janisj: Thank you for posting a paragraphed version! I am easily distracted and having paragraphs keeps me from losing my 'place'.
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

As many of you may have guessed I do not use this forum much and therefore have shown my vulnerability in contributing and adding appropriate information. I apologize for that but am glad to have had so many of you get involved.

I do use the forum to learn of travels I am planning on and really appreciate any and all info I gleam from it. As far as spelling I apologize for that too.

I do have pictures but will need to figure out how to download them onto the forum.

CELTICHARPER- I'm glad it was a good report for you and maybe we are related. Thank you.
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 01:56 PM

Hi good to read you visited The Hill of Tara - can I ask please are you aware ;-

THE HILL OF TARA
The Hill of Tara, Ireland's premier national monument and internationally renowned cultural icon, is being desecrated by construction of the M3 motorway. The works are in breach of international law, which protects this site for humanity, and the United Nations must intervene now.
Lying 30 miles north of Dublin, it was Ireland's capital for millennia; where over 142 kings were crowned, dating back to 3,000 BC. Since then, hundreds of monuments were built on the slopes and in the surrounding landscape. Today, the cultural landscape is defined by the remains of a number of defensive Iron Age hillforts which surround the Hill, lying approximately 2-3 miles away.
THE M3 MOTORWAY

The M3 motorway is being built by the Irish Government, in public private partnership with Siac and Ferrovial construction companies, through the centre of this landscape, and a 50 acre interchange is being built 1,000 metres from the summit. Already, dozens of archaeological sites within the landscape have been excavated and demolished, and construction is due to be completed in 2010.
CELEBRITY SUPPORT FOR THE TARAWATCH CAMPAIGN
The campaign to save Tara, and re-route the M3 motorway has reached a critical point. Celebrities such as Bono, Seamus Heaney, Jonathan Rhys Myers, Gabriel Byrne, Colm Toibin , Louis le Brocquy and Jim Fitzpatrick, supported by hundreds of international experts in Irish history, archaeology and mythology have spoken out against the M3 route. National surveys show that the vast majority of Irish people want Tara protected, and made into a UNESCO site.
Nobel Laureate, Seamus Heaney said:
If ever there was a place that deserved to be preserved in the name of the dead generations from pre-historic times up to historic times up to completely recently - it was Tara. I think it literally desecrates an area - I mean the word means to de-sacralise and for centuries the Tara landscape and the Tara sites have been regarded as part of the sacred ground.

UN MUST SAVE TARA PETITION
http://www.savetarapetition.net

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -