Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ireland Panic Mode- help with itinerary!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! This is my first trip to Ireland so am a little confused on the best way to go. We only have about 4 days of drive time so have to make it a quick trip but want to see the Southwest. I am traveling with two adults by rental car from Dublin to Kilkenney (stay in B&B in Kilkenney).

We then want to do the Ring of Kerry and stay in that general area for our 2nd night of B&Bs. Kenmare looks like a lovely place. Is it feasible to drive from Kilkenney to Kenmare and then do the ring the following day? Does the ring only go one way, first of all, as it appears Kenmare is at the end of it. Am I going about this wrong and should we base somewhere else near Ring of Kerry? We like the idea of little restaurants and pubs and nature.

Thank you for any advice, not sure what to do.
Old May 25th, 2008, 07:22 PM

Hi emilym -
I am by no means an expert on Ireland but I have been doing a lot of research for our upcoming trip which will be almost as short as yours.

My question is, since you want to concentrate on SW Ireland, could you fly into Shannon instead of Dublin?

At any rate, this will top your thread with the hope that the Ireland experts will be able to answer your questions.
Old May 26th, 2008, 06:54 AM

Assuming that you are NOT trying to do Day#1 immediately after arriving from an over-night flight, what you propose IS possible.

The ROK actually STARTS and STOPS in Killarney. The BIG tour buses all depart Killarney about 10 or 10:30 AM and drive Counter-Clockwise. I've driven it Clock-wise, but it was in April. We only met two buses traveling, but passing them was QUITE hairy!!!

The drive through Moll's Gap, from Kenmare to Killarney is my favorite part of the ROK. It takes about an hour if you stop for photo ops at adies View). If you got an early start from Kenmare and cleared Killarney ahead of the Tour Buses, you could then end the day back in Kenmare without breathing exhaust fumes the whole way.

Bob
Old May 26th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

I guess my real question is- does anyone know how long the drive is from Kilkenney to Kenmare?? And if that is do-able in one day easily?
Old May 26th, 2008, 11:49 AM

No problem. Half a day.
Old May 27th, 2008, 02:42 PM

On the Ring of Kerry - Get an early start and go Counter clockwise. After Waterville do the kellig Ring" and drive out to Valentia Island. During that time, most of the buses will pass. You can take the bridge at one end and the ferry at the other. The north side of the Iveragh Peninsula is pretty easy to travel. You last hurdle is the drive from Killarney to Kenmare. If you hit that between 4 and 6ish it is likely to have a few hairy spots as you may meet the buses again. I would wait.

The other option is to go to Dingle instead. To be clear, I'm one of the folks that really like the RoK area, but with very little travel time, the Dingle Peninsula packs more bang for the buck as most will suggest. You will find some great music pubs in Dingle (try the Small Bridge - an Droichead Beag) and all sorts of nice antiquities in the area. I think Dingle is a better choice w/ your schedule.

Another option if Iveragh is where you want to go, is spend the RoK day doing the Gap of Dunloe tour. You can book it through Deros tours. You won't be spending a day in a car, it takes up a full day (roughly 10-4) and is a great outdoor adventure if the weather permits.

Bill