Reload this Page >

Ireland or Amsterdam

Search

Ireland or Amsterdam

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2000, 09:21 PM
Elwood

Ireland or Amsterdam

Hello people! A good friend and I (two mid-thirties Canuck males) want to head over the pond in early September for ten days. We still don't know exactly where we want to go but think we have it down to two destinations: Ireland (Dublin, Galway area) or Amsterdam and vicinity. I've been to France and Italy and this is my friend's first trip to Europe. Can you please tell me which area you would choose and why? P.S. We both like to smoke a bit of weed on occasion but we won't be focusing on that aspect if we choose Amsterdam...we're looking for history, ambience, friendliness and good places to drink, relax and eat. Thanks!

Old Jul 27th, 2000, 10:06 PM
Sjoerd

I live in Amsterdam and have been to Ireland for a holiday. Amsterdam is great for its cityscape, museums, nightlife, nice "brown cafes" (our cosy evening cafes), cosmopolitan atmosphere, friendly people. Ireland is great for natural beauty, Irish pubs, friendly people. <BR>I was disappointed with Dublin and other cities in Ireland, so I think you need to rent a car there and tour around. In Amsterdam, you don't need/want a car as almost everything is walking distance and public transport is good. <BR>Bottom line: if seeing lots of natural beauty is a priority, go to Ireland. If not, come to Amsterdam. A good website on Amsterdam is www.boomchicago.nl <BR>

Old Jul 28th, 2000, 12:58 AM
frank

Amsterdam has all you mention, in spades.No contest.

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 01:37 PM
Jim

Actually, Ireland wins, hands down. Amsterdam always seems kind of seedy to me. Dublin, on the other hand, is the epicenter of the Celtic Tiger. It's such a lively, fun, exciting city. Just look out for the hordes of bachelor parties and hen nights in the Temple Bar area.

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 03:39 PM
Nancy

I agree with Jim's comment. For sure go to Ireland, the food is great, the people are relaxed and friendly, and the scenery is beautifull. I would not suggest taking any pot along to smoke, however Ireland is an island of drinkers so you will find it very easy to get tipsy with a pint or two.

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 02:28 AM
frank

Amsterdam's "seediness" is confined to the redlight area - outside that it its more respectable & safer than most European cities.Trouble is many people on a quick visit spend all their time in this small part of the city (nobody forces them) then assume its all like that.It's like hanging round the docks at Marseilles then complaining that France is seedy...

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 08:51 AM
Jim

I've spent a great deal of time in Amsterdam and still think it's seedy--and I've only been to the red light district once. <BR> <BR>By the way, Frank, a lot of the Irish do call football soccer, as football to them is gaelic football. <BR>

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 03:18 AM
frank

I take your footballing point Jim, you know better than I do - all the Irish I know call gaelic football gaelic football when speaking to non-Irish.....I was in Ireland when they played in the World Cup, everybody called it football. <BR>I also wonder where outside the redlight in A'dam could be thought of as seedy... possibly our idea of the bounds of these districts are different, there's really nothing seedy about the Leidseplein, Museumplein etc etc.It's a very safe city. <BR> Dublin is a friendly city with good pubs but has it's problems, some of which you have hinted at - coincidentally it's stag & hen night problem (mainly English visitors) is now also increasing in A'dam - they mostly hang around the Rembrandtsplein drinking, then head for the redlight.(wrong order, has nobody told them?) <BR>It is of course possible for Elwood & co. to do both cities - very cheap fares are available especially if you change in London.(check out Ryanair) <BR>London is a strange place to drink in.People seem to grow quieter as the night wears on rather than louder as in Dublin & A'dam (& Glasgow!).Odd.