Wanted to get some feedback about our upcoming trip to Ireland in November. We are a family of 4 traveling from the US (2 adults, 2 teenage children). We are flying into and out of Dublin (tickets can not be modified). Our main goal for the trip is to experience the beauty and charm of Ireland, while acknowledging that we are only there for a few days and thus cannot see everything. We are aware that this time of year brings shorter days and cold/rainy weather, thus limiting some of our options.
Here is our planned itinerary. Can you please provide feedback if this is reasonable in terms of driving? Are we trying to do too much?
Day 1: arrive Dublin airport, take coach or train to Cork, pick up rental car, spend night in Cork
Day 2: drive to Dingle, explore area, spend night in Dingle
Day 3: drive from Dingle to Ashford Castle, spend night in Ashford Castle
Day 4: Ashford Castle, explore area, spend night in Ashford Castle
Day 5: drive to Dublin, drop off rental car, spend night in Dublin
Day 5: explore Dublin, spend night in Dublin
Day 6: depart Dublin airport
We would like to see the Cliffs of Moher, but I am concerned that we will not have sufficient time. The only option I see is on Day 3. However, when I look at the map and calculate driving times, it seems a bit daunting. Would it be possible to drive from Dingle to the Cliffs of Moher to Ashford Castle in one day, given that there will only be about 8 hours of daylight?
On the afternoon of Day 1 or the morning of Day 2, we would like to go to either Kinsale or Blarney Castle. Would you recommend Kinsale over Blarney Castle? I have read conflicting opinions about Blarney Castle.
If you have other thoughts or suggestions about our itinerary, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any help. Cheers!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 First Time To Europe Itinerary. Thoughts? Suggestions? Please
- 2 land vs river cruise
- 3 And the winner is ...India? Egypt? no, Italy!
- 4 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 5 Itinerary for 4 days in Madrid
- 6 Hiking - Suggest a location
- 7 Festival du Citron (Lemon Festival), Menton
- 8 Help with suggestions for Portugal 2 week trip
- 9 19 days Ireland by car - please advise
- 10 Scotland ideas
- 11 Tips for first trip to UK
- 12 Help Getting from Faro to Lisbon
- 13 Iceland tours from Keflavik
- 14 September in Venice, Croatia, and Slovenia
- 15 The World's Greatest Churches
- 16 Devon and Dorset: Where to Base?
- 17 Black Friday in Britain? Why?
- 18 Malaga Christmas lights
- 19 Portugal
- 20 Paris November 2017
- 21 Anyone ever used a resort for a day in Santorini??
- 22 What To Do in Athens on a Sunday
- 23 London flat feedback wanted - yes, I'm going slightly crazy!
- 24 paris to london- day trip
- 25 Planning a Poland itinerary