Ireland Itinerary Help Please

Old Feb 10th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland Itinerary Help Please

My husband, 13 year old son, 21 year old niece and myself will be traveling to Ireland from June 10th - June 24th this year. I read Fodor's and enjoy reading other people's insight and suggestions. I would very much like to hear what other people have to say about our itinerary thus far.

Day 1: Dublin
Day 2: Kilkenny
Day 3: Cork/Kinsale
Days 4 and 5: Kenmare/Dingle
Day 6: Ballyvaughan
Day 7: Aran Islands
Day 8: Clifden
Day 9: Ennis
Day 10: Depart Shannon

Any suggestions as to where to stay or what to see would be greatly appreciated. This is our college graduation present to our niece and would like to make this special for her!

I have searched the current Ireland posts and am most interested in knowing if our destinations are realistic.

Thank you so very much for any help/suggestions that you might have!
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 02:13 PM

Your destinations are definitely realistic. Just make sure you get an early start on your drive from Dingle to Ballyvaughan so you have some time to stop along the way as the spirit moves you. I've stayed in Kenmare and like it a lot. However, if you're looking for traditional music and at least one night when you don't have to change beds, then I suggest two nights in Dingle at the expense of one night in Kenmare. (Dingle is not your last chance for music, of course, since several pubs in Ennis have nightly sessions.)

While I haven't visited either Clifden or Westport, the descriptions in the Lonely Planet Ireland guidebook lead me to propose that you might prefer the latter.

Clifden - "Clifden, the capital of Connemara, is beautifully set at the head of narrow Clifden Bay, where the River Owenglin tumbles into the sea. Its Victorian houses and needle-sharp church spires appear inviting as one approaches the town on the coast highway, and the surrounding countryside promises leisurely walks through woods and along The Sky Road towering above the shore. But Clifden has succumbed to a sloppy brand of tourism and the town has a careless, ragged and vaguely jaded feel to it."

Westport - "There's a lot to be said for town planning, especially if 18th-century architect James Wyatt was the brain behind the job. Westport, positioned on the River Carrowbeg and the shores of Clew Bay is easily Mayo's most beautiful town and a major tourist destination for visitors to this part of the country....Museums and other atractions may be in short suply, but Westport is mostly about atmosphere--and neatness: in 2001 it was named Ireland's tidiest town and the tourist board has designated it a Heritage Town."

I'll leave it to people who have been to Clifden and Westport to say whether or not the LP descriptions are accurate.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 03:41 PM
CU

To know about Dublin (www.visitdublin.com) and (www.dublinbus.ie)
For Kilkenny (www.kilkennytourism.ie)
Cork.Kinsalewww.cork-guide.ie)
To cross over to Clare (www.shannonferries.com). (The map on this site will help you on your trip)
For the next stage of your journey go to (www.shannonregiontourism.ie) and this is where you will be caught for so much to see. As you drive up the coast through Quilty, Lahinch with its soft sandy beach- on to Liscannor (www.therockshop.ie)up a steep hill where you will pass St. Bridgets Well. Stop here and have a quick look at the old Irish custom of leaving something at the Well. On to the Cliffs of Moher where you can stop and rest for a cuppa and look out over the pounding sea. When you leave the cliffs and turn left on about two miles you will get a spectacular view of Doolin Strand and if its clear a great view of the Aran Islands.
When you reach Ballyvaughan take time to visit the Aillwee Caves (www.aillweecave.ie) and the perfume factory(www.burrenperfumery.com)
To see the Aran Islands (www.visitaranislands.com)
For Clifden (www.connemara.net)
For Ennis (www.ennis.ie)
And to help you to shop at Shannon Airport on your way home (www.airportshopping.ie)
For accommodation: (www.townandcountry.ie)
and(www.ireland.ie)
All accommodation in these sites are good.
Enjoy your trip and safe travelling and congratulations to your niece on her graduation.

Old Feb 10th, 2006, 03:45 PM
CU

Do'nt know how the guy with the sour pus got into the above answer. Did not mean to offend my friends from Cork.
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses. Since I last posted we have made some changes to our itinerary. I would appreciate any feedback!

Day 1: Dublin (Browne's Townhouse)
Day 2: Kilkenny or drive to Cashel and stay at the Rockside House
Day 3: Cork (Garnish House)
Day 4: Kenmare (Sallyport House)
Days 5 and 6: Dingle (Milltown House)
Day 7: Doolin
Day 8: Aran Islands (Man of Aran Cottages)
Day 9: Galway
Day 10: Ennis
Day 11: Depart from Shannon

I would really appreciate some help on a few things:

1. Is driving from Dublin to Cashel a reasonable drive or should we plan on staying in Kilkenny? (We will have an early start to the day as we will already had a full day in Dublin).

2. Does anyone have any feedback on any of our lodging choices...good or bad? (My niece really wants to stay at least one night in a castle).

3. If we are renting a car and want to stay overnight on the Aran Islands, what do we do with our car? Also, where is the best place to take the ferry from?

4. I would really appreciate any suggestions of where to stay in both Doolin (if that is the best place to take the ferry from) as well as Ennis and Galway.

I have become "addicted" to the Fodor's site in trying to plan our trip. Once again, any help is much appreciated.

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 02:19 PM

You should be able to drive from Dublin to Cashel in a little over three hours.

Ferry service to the Aran Islands from Doolin is often cancelled because of tides and wind.

Here is information from Rick Steves' Ireland guidebook: Island Ferries (www.aranislandferries.com) sails to the Aran Islands from Rossaveal, a port 20 miles west of Galway. There is shuttle bus service from Galway to Rossaveal. Drivers should go straight to the ferry landing in Rossaveal, passing several ticket agencies and pay parking lots. At the boat dock you'll find a convenient E4-per-day lot and a small office selling tickets for Island Ferries.

O'Brien Shipping operates smaller, slower boats departing once a day from Galway (not Rossaveal) and stopping at all three Aran Islands. For drivers, there is a E5 parking lot at the dock.