Notices

Ireland itinerary help

Old Dec 29th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland itinerary help

My parents (82 and 78), my partner and I (mid 40's) will be going on a one-week trip to Ireland in June 08. My parents are healthy, but no longer very mobile, ie. they won't be able to walk more than 5 or 10 minutes.

We mainly go for the scenery. I was thinking to stay at 3 different hotels (2 or 3 nights per hotel). We can fly direct to Dublin, Cork and Belfast from Amsterdam. We will have a rental car.

Does anyone have suggestions for 1) itinerary; and 2) hotels. I am sure my mom will like "county-style" (think Hyacinth Bouquet) hotels. Not ridiculously expensive, but doesn't need to be cheap also.

I have been to Ireland once before and liked the Wicklow Mountains. Am not a big fan of Dublin, and when we visited the West Coast and Galway the weather was so bad it was difficult to enjoy the scenery.....

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 1 Post
If it were me and w/ only one week -- I'd probably fly in/out Cork and concentrate on the Southwest/west coast. Lots to enjoy over near Dublin (not a big Dublin fan here either) and up in Northern Ireland - but you really don't have enough time.

W/w your parents limitations I'd choose two towns to stay 3 nights each and then spend the last night near Cork before flying home.

It really would help if you gave us a budget - "Not ridiculously expensive, but doesn't need to be cheap" could be anything. How much would you like to pay?
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

janisj, thanks. I was thinking between € 100 and € 175 per room per night.
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 07:21 AM

I agree with Janis, I spend two week in June in the Southwest every year and the Wx is usually fine.

For scenery you can't beat Dingle. The Slea Head Drive is among everyones favorite,there are plenty of places to pull over and enjoy the view or visit a historical site. Dingle Skellig is a Modern hotel on the edge of town and Benners is an older hotel in the center of town on the upper road.

Kinsale is another possibility. If you stay in town a five minute walk will take you to any number of pubs and restauraunts. The large hotels are out along the quay and are on the expensive side but there are any number of fine B&B's right in the village.

Lastly Killarney is another choice. Not my favorite but you can drive the National Park or do a bus ride on the ROK. Another thought is a Poney cart ride through the Gap of Dunloe. Again there are any number of Pubs and Restaurants within a short walk in the town. I have stayed at the Artabus Hotel in town center and It was ok, can't speak about any others. Have fun
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 10:15 AM

Here are two good sources for "country-style" places to stay.

www.hiddenireland.com

www.specialplacestostay.com

Old Feb 18th, 2008, 08:01 PM

You could fly to Belfast and drive up thuhe Antrim Coast Road. Fabulous scenery for your parents to enjoy.

Stay at the Bushmills Inn, and if you like whiskey, take the tour of the distillery down the street.

Then drive to County Donegal. The Inishowen Penisula is one of my favorite places in Ireland.

I would just hug the coastline, continue down to the Galway and see the Cliffs of Moher and then cut back across the country to Belfast to fly home.