Ireland Itinerary Feedback

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2017, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be visiting for the first time in less than two weeks. Hitting the last minute panic that I've planed everything all wrong. I tried to leave a lot of open planning, as I wanted the trip to allow time to stop and meander/explore, but I would love ideas for little detours and off the beaten path suggestions. I love taking photos and ruins/cemeteries. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Day 1: 6am arrival Shannon Airport. Pick up car and head to Killarney. Perhaps a stop in Adare on the way. Have read Adare is very busy. Is it a not miss, or is any alternate stop suggestion or just drive straight on to Killarney? Once in Killarney, explore Nat'l park - Torc, Muckross House/Abbey.

Day 2: Ring of Beara. Early start and begin at Gleninchaquin Park. Counterclockwise to Healy Pass and up to Glengarriff. No particular plans except to stop and meander whenever the mood strikes. Any opinion on taking the pass vs driving the entire peninsula? Back to Killarney, possible stop in Kenmare.

Day 3: Killarney to Galway. Stop at Cliffs of Moher. Cliffs to Galway via coast road (through Fanore). Stay in Galway City.

Day 4: Aran Islands - Inishmore Return to Galway

Day 5: Galway to Cong via Inaugh Valley and over to Letterfrack/Kylemore Abbey. We are staying the night at Ashford Castle, so plan to spend the afternoon/evening on the grounds.

Day 6: Falconing at Ashford Castle. This, in addition to the stay at Ashford, is a frivolous thing I am convinced I must do. If I am terribly wrong, please let me know. Post Falconing, we will head to Kilkenny.

Day 7: Glendalough day trip from Kilkenny. Kilkenny at night.

Day 8: Morning in Kilkenny. Either Kilkenny Castle or Jerpoint Park. Evening drive to Ennis.

Day 9: Depart Shannon
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 04:53 AM

Sounds wonderful! If I may....

Day 2 You might enjoy the cable car going over to Dursey Island. Not many people can say they crossed the Atlantic by cable car!

Day 3 I suggest that you include Loop Head in your drive up the coast. We loved it.

Day 6 I have "done" falconry on 3 occasions and Ashford Castle was by far the best. You will love it!

Enjoy! and come back to tell us all about it.
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 04:55 AM

Back to day 2...Garnish/Garinish Island is a lovely park reached by ferry. There is also a tearoom if you are in the area at lunchtime.
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 06:07 AM

Day 2: Ring of Beara. Early start and begin at Gleninchaquin Park. Counterclockwise to Healy Pass and up to Glengarriff. No particular plans except to stop and meander whenever the mood strikes. Any opinion on taking the pass vs driving the entire peninsula? Back to Killarney, possible stop in Kenmare.

If possible, drive the entire peninsula. Beautiful scenery around Allihies and Eeyries. If you stop in Kenmare you could grab yourself an early bird as there is a wonderful selection of restaurants. 34 is particularly good (I am not connected to it).
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 06:32 AM

We spent 35 days in Ireland a few years ago. One of the very few things we did that we wished we'd skipped was Inishmore. From Galway, 3 hours round trip of travel for a place we didn't love.
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 07:30 AM

We, on the other hand, loved Inishmore. The prehistoric Dun Aengus fort alone would have made the trip worthwhile, but we also liked the tiny ancient churches, a few curious cows, and a walk on a beach.

We didn't leave from Galway. We were staying in Carraroe, near a port with a shorter trip to the island.

From Doolin, there are boats to Inisheer, the smallest Aran island. It's less visited, and I imagine that in high season it would be less overwhelmed than Inishmore. We visited Inishmore in June, a bit before the season. We visited Inisheer about 40 years ago, and there were hardly any visitors.
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 09:51 AM

I'm not going to add anything. What you have is enough and it works to Day 6. Galway to Kilkenny? Portumna and Roscrea work but its a full day as is getting back from Kilkenny to Ennis with the other listed options thrown in.

Doub't the Doolin InisOirr boats will be runing in a couple of weeks unless there is a big change in the weather. we are wet and windwept here in western Ireland right now.

https://goo.gl/maps/2H5N6HJBo352
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the feedback. I have decided to change the itinerary for the ring of Beara and drive the Pensisula counterclockwise and take the Healy Pass back from the east. Thank you for the suggestion of the Loop Head Drive Jana. It had been something I had considered, I think I will add it to the trip. As for the Aran Islands, I think it really depends on what you like. I am quite looking forward to that day. But I'm a meandered/explorer at heart.

Tony2phones. My map says 3 hours from Cong to Kilkenny? I have no experience, so is this woefully inaccurate? We don't really mind the drive, and I was recommended Kilkenny and wanted a home base to see Glendalough. Is this just too ambitious, or just a waste of time? Would love any other opinions in this regard. Overall, I am feeling upbeat about our plans and your assistance has only helped to add to our trip. Thank you all for your help!
Old Sep 28th, 2017, 01:40 AM

You pass within 10 minutes of my house using the route I gave. Cong would take me 1 1/2 hours, Kilkenny just over 2, that's without stops and with knowing the roads. I could do them in less but don't tell the Garda.

Kilkenny works as a base for Glendalough and Wicklow if you assume its a full day. There are two tours from Dublin that do Glendalough, one includes Kilkenny and I advise against that one because it doesn't allow enough time for Kilkenny.

Base map for a 10 hour tour from Kilkenny including Glendalough, Rock of Dunamase and the Japanese Gardens/National Stud with other points; https://goo.gl/maps/r7xUSuxFwe72 Probably not ideal for mid October but gives some points.

The two base tour maps I have for Ennis to Kilkenny so just reverse them are:
Ennis to Kilkenny https://goo.gl/maps/EKnB1Ey11qD2
Ennis to Kilkenny 2 https://goo.gl/maps/JggQizcXWcB2
Old Sep 28th, 2017, 02:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Tony!