Ireland itinerary - critque please/few questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! I'm in the final stages of planning an Ireland trip for the first week in September. I'd appreciate any thoughts on what I've planned to make sure it's doable. I have a few questions, too, that I'm hoping I can get some answers to.

Day 1
-----
- Arrive at Shannon and pick up rental car, 8 am
- Drive through the Burren
- Cliffs of Moher
- Lunch in Ennis (recommended places?)
- Drive through Adare (is it worth spending any time here?)
- Stay in Kenmare (recommended restaurants and pubs for music?)

Day 2
-----
- Ring of Kerry (how crowded?....or would Beara Peninsula be better...which is more scenic?)
- 2nd night in Kenmare

Day 3
-----
- Ross Castle (is Innisfallen Island worth it?)
- Muckross House
- Moll's Gap/Ladie's View
- maybe some shopping in Killarney (worth it or a tourist trap?)
- 3rd night in Kenmare

Day 4
-----
- Cahir Castle
- Rock of Cashel
- stay in Cashel (recommended restaurants?)
- Bru Boru show

Day 5
-----
- Glendalough
- Powerscourt Garden (will there be anything to see in early September?)
- Return car at Dublin airport
- Stay in Dublin

Day 6
-----
- various things around Dublin City Center
- recommended pubs for music?

Day 7
-----
- 7 am flight to Paris on Aer Lingus (how early to arrive at airport?....do Americans in Ireland have to go through customs to go to another EU country?)

Any input y'all could provide is greatly appreciated!

Old Apr 28th, 2007, 08:37 PM

My daughter and I flew Aer Lingus from Dublin to Paris last month. We wound up getting to the airport earlier than we'd originally planned. But had originally figured on two hours before our flight. I'm ashamed to say that I can't say with 100% certainty (all the flights I was on within that two week period have started to run together in my mind!) I really don't think we went through customs.
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 09:05 AM

aggie, I am sure that you will be getting a few comments about your day 1 being a bit ambitious for a first day. Is doable, just a lot of driving and a long day.

I don't know how much of the Burren you will be able to enjoy. But to avoid traffic/crowds would probably do first. We made the Poulnabron Dolmen our first stop and had it all to ourselves...no cars at all around...just sheep.

We stopped in Adare and didn't find it worth it for a quick stop...I'd skip.

There is a quicker route between Killarney and Kenmare that you may want to take since you will be scenic scenic route on day 3...cuts drive time in half.

In Kenmare on our first trip we ate at the Lime Tree and I think it still has a good reputation. Last June the hot place was Packie's and required reservations. We had a good meal at Davitt's and an OK meal at Foley's (tho I believe someone told us they were run by the same people).

We heard music at Foley's after dinner. We also heard music at Bold Thaddy Quills (Landsdowne Arms Hotel pub).

I preferred Beara Peninsula (must drive Healy Pass), especially since you will be doing my favorite part of ROK on your Day 3.

Since you are going in September you may want to check to be sure that the Bru Boru Center is still having show...I thought it was just in summer months, but may still be showing in early September.

In Dublin be sure to tour Kilmainham jail. We enjoyed the musical pub crawl. We found Temple Bar area a bit young and rowdy for us. We went to Brazen Head...but had a country band so went across the street to O'Shea's. They were so packed couldn't get to the back room with music, but did join a couple of Dubliners for some pints and interesting conversation. Note: we were in Dublin on a weekend, so everyplace was packed.
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 10:31 AM

aggie97,

Chip did the work for me. I agree with him on the itinerary and Adare. I liked Packie's in Kenmare very much.

Good Luck, Joan
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 06:31 PM

Are you flying from somewhere in Europe? I hope so! I would not attempt that much driving after a transatlantic flight. If you are flying from the states, the first day is trying to do too much.

Apart from the driving-while-fatigued issue -- my husband and I really enjoyed the Burren several years ago, but I would consider saving it for another time. To get a lot out of it you have to get out of the car, IMO, and just driving through is not necessarily worth it.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 04:06 AM

My two cents' worth:

I also am concerned about you Day #1.
You should either drive DIRECTLY to Kenmare, or spend the first night somewhere in Clare.

If you ARE arriving in SNN WELL RESTED and not jet-lagged and REALLY want to pursue you Day#1 agenda, take the Tarbert Ferry and drop Adare. It IS a cute, little village, but not worth any in-depth time on such a short stay.

Another vote for the Beara, as well.

Bob

Old Apr 30th, 2007, 04:21 AM

Just 2 suggestions: on Day 1 why not have lunch in Adare instead of Ennis? There's not much point in going to Adare otherwise, it might be a nice little village to stop for lunch but I wouldn't go out of my way to drive through it - it's just a cute village, nothing special.

Day 6/7 - why not hold on to the car for an extra day, or see can you drop it back somewhere in town instead of having to go to the airport. You will lose a lot of time going to the airport and back into town (Powerscourt is to the south of dublin while the airport is to the north)
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 08:29 AM

I am traveling to Ireland in September as well ad wondered if you have a place to stay in Kenmare, a I am looking for a nice hotel there.

Old May 4th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses.....I will consider them!

Nancy, I'm planning to stay at Watersedge B&B. It's a wee bit out of town center, but the reviews I've read have all been stellar.

Old May 4th, 2007, 08:38 AM

Hi aggie. I liked the Watersedge very much. The view out over the Bay/River is lovely. It actually sits directly over the Beara road but high enough so that you don't hear the traffic. To find it crossing the bridge leaving Kenmare, it's the second right and it's well sign posted. The Beara road is the 1st right. You'll then take another right down a narrow lane to the end which will take you to Maureen's front door. Have a great time.
Old May 5th, 2007, 03:41 AM

Hi,

I agree... your day one is way to overloaded. Slow down... remove something from your list and enjoy things more. If you want to head up to Cliffs of Moher, Burren, etc... fine... but think about spending the night somehwere up there. We spent one brief night (late arrival, early departure at the new, Quality Inn in Limerick) No Irish Heritage... just a big, business-traveller type hotel... but Nice, Clean and Inexpensive Less than 100Euros. Just a thought.

As for Kenmare... we stayed at the Lodge in Kenmare (B& B) Loved it!!! Great place!!!

I'd pass on the ROK... consider touring the Dingle Peninsula or the Beara. ROK too touristy.

If you think about Waterford... I can't say enough about staying at the Waterford Castle... TOTALLY worth it!!!

Dublin: Do not stay at the Parliament Hotel - Total Dump.

I'd suggest picking up a copy of Rick Steve's Ireland book now... great tips on places to see, etc... I bought my book after I set my plans...wish I would have done it the other way around.

Also... really scour these posts... lots of Good info!

JB