Ireland Itinerary advice - 10 day trip

Old Sep 8th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland Itinerary advice - 10 day trip

Hello,

We are leaving for Ireland on October 5th and I can use some help fine tuning our itinerary. To help you answer my questions - my husband and I are in our late 30's, and are mainly interested in viewing the countryside, hiking trhough beautiful scenery (if anyone has specific hikes in Killarney or Connemara you'd recommend please do), experiencing the local culture, preferably in smaller towns. Oh and of course - the pubs and traditional Irish music are on the very top of our list! Here is what I have so far -

Day 1: Land in Dublin 8:45am, pick up rental car and head to Kilkenny with stops possible at Powersourt and/or Glendalough, stay in Kilkenny
Question - if we only have time tfor one stop should it be Glendolough? Is Powerscourt so close that it would be silly not to see that too? If we did stop at both is it realistic to think we would have enough daylight left to walk Kilkenny once settled into our hotel? Is Kilkenny castle a "must" if we are seeing other castles?

Day 2: Kilkenny to Rock of Cashel and Cahir to Kenmare, stay in Kenmare

Day 3: Kenmare – Sheep Farm and Beara Peninsula/Healy Pass, stay in Kenmare

Day 4: Kenmare to Dingle via Killarney - Hiking, Ross Castle
Question - is it too much to hike Killarney, view the castle (maybe do the carraige tour), and still make it to Dingle? I don't want to rush but also want to make sure we have ample time in Dingle since we have a couple days hiking in Connemara as well. We seem to prefer the idea of staying in Kenmare better, but would it make more sense just to stay in Killarney??

Day 5: Dingle Peninsula

Day 6: Dingle to Cliffs of Moher to Doolin

Question - I am seriously considering taking out Doolin as a place to stay...thoughts? If we don't stay in Doolin is it too much to drive from Dingle to Connemara, seeing as though we are stoping to see COM? I am thinking probably...anywhere else we could stay and see additional sights close by? We don't have interest in Aran Islands or the Burren, nor do I feel we have enough time to explore Galway.

Day 7: Doolin (or wherever) to Connemara

Day 8: Connemara

Day 9: Connemara to Dublin

Day 10: Dublin

Day 11: Depart from Dublin

Any other suggestions or changes you would make??? Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 01:02 PM

Dingle to Clifden is a 6+ hour drive, more if you put the Cliffs into the mix. You need to break this trip. I generally recommend Ennis as a good overnight spot. Doolin is a couple of villages mostly consisting of B&B's a Jetty and 3 pubs.
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 01:34 PM

1. I have not been to Powerscourt, but if you enjoy hiking, I'd skip Powerscourt so you have time to do some hiking at Glendalough, which I thought was a great place. One of the trails is closed for forestry operations through November, but the hike we took, Spinc Short Route (Blue Route), is open and it's a great hike. You'll walk along a cliff edge and see the most fantastic views of the valley and glacial lakes.

2. I would not consider Kilkenny Castle a "must". We much preferred the Rock of Cashel and Cahir Castle.

3. You probably don't have time to hike the Gap of Dunloe, but we did another shorter hike which was good--the hike around Muckross Lake (about 10 - 12 km). We combined it with a tour of Muckross House which we enjoyed very much.

4. Skip Doolin. As Tony says, there's nothing to see there. Our night there was the one mistake I make in planning our last trip to Ireland.

4. Take a look at the "Lonely Planet Walking in Ireland" book. I found a lot of good hikes in that book and we did a bunch of them on our last visit to Ireland.
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - after a quick check it looks like Ennis would be a perfect spot! Will look into it more. Also - we are thinking of adding an extra ight in the middle and taking away a day in Dublin at the end. Where would you add an extra night....Kilkenny, or Kenmare? Lastly - we are thinking it might maximize our time and make more sense to just stay in Killarney as opposed to Kenmare, and scrapping the Beara drive unless we have extra time...I am hoping Dingle peninsula will meet our requirements for scenic drives and scrapping Beara will allow us to spend more time out of the car.
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Longhorn55 - great advice, I appreciate it!! Please also see my additional questions above - any input? Gap of Dunloe looks beautiful. I am wondering if we should add our night to Killarney and do that hike on the way to Dingle - is that a possibility?
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 10:51 PM

Pls read my trip report. I agree with your decision to skip the Beara Penn. The Dingle Penn is waaaaay more scenic in my opinion. I agree w/your decision to stay in Killarney. The gap to dunloe hike is not too bad (also you can do a buggy ride if short on time). It rained on our first day in Killarney so can't help you with the hikes...do spend some time at Muckross house...the gardens are quite nice.
Have you considered staying at Lahinch...that whole area is very scenic.
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 01:40 AM

Shows how different people have different tastes. Beara and the Cork peninsula's would be my choice and recommendation every time.
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Is there a "short route" on the beara peninsula that we might be able to do after the sheep farm where we aren't in the car all day? Lahinch is certainly an option instead of Ennis - I will look into both and let me know your thoughts on differences.

I think right now my biggest question is: Killarney 2 nights, and Kenmare 1 OR

Killarney 3 nights with one day trip to Kenmare OR

Killarney 2 nights (1 in Kenmare, 1 in Park) and 3 nights in Dingle

Suggestions?
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Another question - is Ross Castle, Muckross House and Farms and Gap of Dunloe all do-able in a day from Killarney if we do the boat and carraige ride at Dunloe?
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 03:02 PM

The Gap Tour that we took starts from Deros Tour office in Killarney at 10 a.m. and you return about 4 p.m. If you weren't on the tour I suppose you could see Ross Castle at the end of the boat ride. But then how would you get back to your vehicle at the beginning of the Gap?
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Yes - it seems to make the most sense to do the tour for Ross Castle and Dunloe Gap through the tour companies, and then save Muckross for another day on our own, combining it with Kissane sheep farm and perhaps lunch in Kenmare. I am thinking of keeping the 3 nights in Killarney, that way we can stop off to hike in the National park on our way to Dingle, or just get on the road to the peninsula depending on weather and how we feel...will most likely be back with more questions on Dingle now that I have this part straightened out!
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 05:49 AM

We drove to Ross castle and Muckross house. We also drove to the GAP and took a buggy ride. All three easily doable in a day.
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 08:39 AM

Answering 2 forums in one place, Diamond Hill is the standard easy hike in the Connemara national park although there are more challenging if you like. You are not going to see much of the Connemara region if you dash back to Dublin after just one night at Ballinahinch. Drive the Bog road across Roundstone Bog back from Clifden to Ballinahinch. If you type A59 into the search window on the other forum you will get my hints for what on the road from Galway to Clifden and beyond.
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 10:09 AM

You may be very tired from lack of sleep on the plane and jet lag for your first day. It may be asking a lot to visit Powerscourt or Glendalough, hike, AND drive to Kilkenny from Dublin on that day. I would play it by ear. As much as I loved both Powerscourt and Glendalough, it will get dark fairly early in October, and jetlagged driving in the dark on unfamiliar and unlit roads is just asking for trouble.
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 12:56 PM

Confirming: Definitely Cashel, Moher, Killarney, Glendalough but maybe not Powerscourt, skip Kilkenny. Doolin, Bearea for sake of time.
Adjusting: better to walk around in Dublin first day after no sleep and enjoy pub music there and various nights.

With journey only a month away I'll bet you are excited!
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone so much, I think we finally got it figured out! We have taken advice and modified our trip to give us more time on the front end to catch our bearings after the inevitable jet lag. We really want to see Glendalaough even if we just stop for an hour...we may still skip it, but we might want to stretch our legs and get some fresh air after being on a long flight! So - we are going to stay at Kilkenny 2 nights instead of one so that we don't feel like we have to rush to get there. I am thinking we would enjoy a walking tour and perhaps even a visit to Inistioge as well the 2nd day if we have time...we had to cut out Connemara and are now pushing through to Kenmare instead of staying in Kilkenny out of convenience. That is really where we wanted to stay anyway but were worried it was too muh driving on our 2nd (very full) day. Now with an extra day in Kilkenny we should be rested enough to do the extra 40 minute drive on our 3rd day. Here is our revised itinerary, though I am still open to suggestions!

Day 1: Kilkenny - 8:45 land in Dublin, get car, possible stop at Glendalaough and get into Kilkenny
Day 2: Kilkenny - Walking tour, explore city and unwind
Day 3: Kenmare - Kilkenny to ROC, Cahir, onto Kenmare
Day 4: Kenmare - Kissane Sheep Farm, partial Beara peninsula drive and/or walk
Day 5: Kenmare - Muckross House, Gap of Dunloe and Ross Castle
Day 6: Dingle - Hike in Killarney on way or get to Dingle
Day 7: Dingle - Slea Head Drive
Day 8: Dromoland Castle
Day 9: Dublin
Day 10: Dublin
Day 11: Depart Dublin 11am
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Oops - meant we are staying in Kenmare instead of Killarney out of convenience
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 09:06 AM

We managed a few of those sites in Killarney and Dingle including the Sheep Farm (which I don't see here too often). Photos and comments in interested:

http://ukfrey.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/ireland.html
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 10:10 AM

Glendalough is a beautiful place to visit but not on your route to anywhere else - including Kilkenny. I would go see it at the end of your trip when you return to Dublin. Also you are giving too much weight to Kilkenny - a couple of hours would be enough. Enjoy!
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 10:23 AM

Think you might find enough to fill a couple of days in Kilkenny asking on the other forum, Castle, 2 Cathedrals, a few Abbeys around and about and possibly the Brewery tour. On top of that it's a great place to have a night out, some great pubs and eateries.

http://www.kilkennytourism.ie/heritage

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -