Ireland itinerary

Search

Ireland itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2020, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland itinerary

I’ve put together an itinerary to Ireland, we’re visiting from Australia so we will be doing this just once.
its taken me ages and I’ve ended up with 34 days, rather a long time I know but I would love honest feedback. We are staying 14 places all together and I am wondering if we can still see everything but with less accommodation changes.

4 day Dublin, all the sights plus Wicklow and a Glendalough region.
3 days Kilkenny, driving to Wexford
Kilkenny to Kinsale via Cashel and Cahir.
3 days Kinsale, visiting Cobb, Cork . blarney Castle
Kinsale to Kenmare via Mizen Head
2 days Kenmare, Beara peninsula
5 days Killarney, ROK, Dingle peninsula, Skellig Michael, National Park , Muckross etc..
2 days Ennis, cliffs of Moher, the Burren
From Ennis drive to Rossaveal
1 night Inishmore
3 days Clifden, explore Connemara, Galway
1 day Achill Island
3 days Donegal
2 days Derry
1 day Ballycastle
2 days Belfast
2 days Drogheda

34 days...too much?
feel free to chop and change.

thanks, Erika
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 11:56 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"34 days...too much?"

Welcome to Fodors. Well - I'd much rather 34 days than 14

I will comment that your entire loop from Donegal through to Drogheda is only about 5 or 6 hours total drive time and about 350 km so that is a LOT of checking in / out of accommodations. I assume Drogheda is your last stop before flying out of DUB - right?

I'd probably pick three bases at most - One only in County Donegal, one in Belfast and the last in Drogheda
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 10:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, noted and changed.
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 03:08 PM

A well thought out itinerary. I would tweak it as follows:

4 nights Dublin, all the sights plus day trips to Wicklow and a Glendalough region.
Dublin to Kilkenny via Irish National Stud and Japanese Garden

2 nights Kilkenny,visit Old Town, Castle, St Canice Cathedral, Jerpoint Abbey
Kilkenny to Kinsale via Rock of Cashel, Swiss Cottage and Cahir Castle.

3 nights Kinsale, visiting Cobb, Cork,Blarney Castle
Kinsale to Kenmare via Glengariff, Beara Peninsula

1 night Kenmare
Kenmare to Killarney

4 nights Killarney, ROK, Skellig Michael,Gap of Dunloe, National Park- Muckross House,etc., Moll's Gap, Ladies View.

1 night Dingle
Dingle to Ennis via Cliffs of Mohr

2 nights Ennis, visit The Burren- Ailwee cave, Poulnabrone dolmen, Catherconnell Stone Fort,
Ennis to Rossaveal for Aran Islands Ferry to Inishmore

1 night Inishmore
Aran Islands Ferry Inishmore to Rossaveal
Rossaveal to Galway via Cong, Ashford Castle, and Quiet Man Cottage Museum

1 night Galway- explore the town. See Trad on the Prom if there is a performance tonight.
Galway to Clifton via Coastal Route

3 nights Clifden, explore Connemara,Sky Road, National Park, Kylemore Abbey, Killary Harbor, Aaleagh Falls,Famine Cross, Coffin Ship Sculpture,Lough Corrib,Walking trails etc.
Clifden to Achill Island via Leenane-Delphi-Westport(scenic road) or via Doolough Valley.

1 night Achill Island-explore
Achill Island to Donegal Town

2 nights Donegal Town- explore town, day trip South Donegal Coast-St John's Point (option), Slieve League, Glencolumbkille Folk Village, Glengesh Pass,Ardara, Doon Fort, Kilclooney Dolmen, etc.
https://goo.gl/maps/pvpg6gHwop6gfzGfA
Donegal to Derry via Central Donegal-Glenveagh National Park,Bunbeg, Dunfanaghy,Fanad Head
https://goo.gl/maps/xgoomFjeZMGLyhXZ6

2 nights Derry- explore town, city walls,murals walk, day trip Inishowen Peninsula-Bridge End, Buncrana, Mamore Gap, Malin Head, Greencastle.
https://goo.gl/maps/Qb9LLne1w99Z3LRH9
Derry to Ballycastle (in afternoon if you need to complete Derry town sighteseeing).Possible Rathin Island in the afternoon

2 nights Ballycastle- Giants Causeway, Old Bushmills Distillery, Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge, and Dunluce Castle on your full day
Ballycastle to Belfast via The Antrim Coast Road, possible stops Glenariff Forest Park, Carnfunnock Country Park, Carrickfergus Castle.Could also do Black Cab Falls Road tour in late afternoon.

3 nights Belfast- On your 1st full day do Titanic Tour and Black Cab Falls Road Tour.2nd day city tour + individual sights.
Belfast to Droghedea via Cooley Peninsula.

2 nights Drogheda- Newgrange,Monasterboice and Mellifont
Next day-Fly Home

Old Jan 19th, 2020, 04:18 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Lucky you to have so many days. I would try to eliminate one and two night stays. Maybe Inishmore is ok for one night. I have been three times and each time hate getting back on that ferry. https://irelandglamping.ie/ This looks fun, saw it last May and want to try it. Clare Island is also a treasure. I like Westport and that whole area.
I think about weather and if you have a cruddy day and the ferry is rocking and rolling. They usually always go from Rosseveal though.
Four days in Dublin will go fast and you might want to see Glendalough on your way to Kilkenny. I have explored some there but not a lot. We have friends in Avoca and it is charming. Have you ever seen Ballykissangel? They filmed a lot of it there. The east coast is beautiful so explore. I love Cork, just spent five nights in Ballycotton which is not that far from Cobh, Midleton is where the Jameson distillery is located and a fun time. West and East Cork county are both good. Cork City has the English market and a few other places but not that terribly exciting. I am trying to think where you could combine more places and do day trips from your base. Ennis maybe.

It is your trip and I have done 1 and two night stays but you might find someplace that just ticks all the boxes and want to stay three nights, You can do some great day trips from Westport, Galway, and Clifden. airbnb is still good in many places in Ireland. Dublin is still trying to do a crackdown on it but at Christmas, they said there were a 1000 more listings. My friend is trying to sell two of her places but no luck. Are you doing hotels, guest houses or B&Bs? So happy you are going to NI.