Ireland info

Jan 22nd, 1999, 05:51 PM
kristin, felicia, kim

Ireland info

We are planning a trip to Ireland and do not know anything or where to begin. We will only have about a week, most likely in the summer. Any suggestions would be helpful. Also we are recent graduates so we have a fixed budget!
Thank You

Jan 23rd, 1999, 06:17 AM
elvira

We spent a great time in Northern Ireland a couple of years ago. It's not nearly as touristy as the Republic; it's very inexpensive (B&Bs are easy to find, in pretty homes, HUGE breakfasts), lots of castles (some in ruins) and incredible scenery. You'll need a car to get around, but with 3 of you it'll be cheaper than busses/trains. There are a couple of web pages, and if you write to the Northern Ireland Tourist Board, they'll send you all sorts of materials.

Jan 23rd, 1999, 11:01 AM
hamlet

I've only been to Western and Southern parts of Ireland on a group tour. I would recommend flying into Shannon or Dublin renting a car in between and making your way to the other airport to fly home from. I think this way you can cover more within the week and then not have to backtrack the way you came . (of course you could just do a circle, but I think the other way you get to see more of the country) Lots of people do the B&Bs which is very affordable. Ireland is great, very pretty, lots of fun and the people are so friendly. Enjoy.

Jan 23rd, 1999, 12:55 PM
Bev

The Irish Tourist Board will send you great information. Ask for the B&B book, maps, etc. Their number is 1-800-223-6470. Also Rick Steves web site, ricksteves.com under country by country has a lot of useful information. We spent 3 weeks there this last May. If you want more information feel free to e-mail me regarding lodging, etc.

Jan 23rd, 1999, 01:34 PM
Judie

You will have a great time in Ireland. The summer provides long days to enjoy the courtryside as sunset is after 9 pm in the summer months.

The B&Bs are the best way to go. We took advantage of an Air Lingus package that included air fare, car rental, and vouchers for B&Bs. I recommend having the B&B for arrival and go from there. We called in the am for that evenings stay based on where the road was going to be taking us. We used the Tourist Boards guide and recommendations of the B&B owners and had great experiences. ("Purpose Built means just that, the B&B was built for that purpose; your best bet for private bath).

Avoid "Bankers Holiday". This is the Labor Day weekend of Ireland. We were trying to navigate the Ring of Kerry with locals towing along campers for a weekend get away. Not the ideal time, but it really was not a huge problem if you don't have a choice. It did make booking B&Bs a little more difficult.

If possible, try to have a B&B booked with a morning check-in for when you arrive. We had booked near the Shannon airport and were able to sleep a few hours before we started our adventure.

Most cars you will rent will be fine for 3 adults. We traveled with 4 without any trouble. We are heavy packers so I brought along a soft roof carrier we put on the car. This made life very easy and I have loaned it to others since then for their trips. I remember watching a family trying to fit themselves into a rather large car (about the size of a large american sedan) at the airport. They had hard side luggage and golf clubs. They finally had to rent a second car to fit all their stuff.

Best of luck! I'm getting ready now for twelve nights in Italy in February, but would go back to Ireland "in a heart beat". Keep checking this forum, I have found lots of great stuff for my next trip!

Jan 23rd, 1999, 01:35 PM
Judie

You will have a great time in Ireland. The summer provides long days to enjoy the courtryside as sunset is after 9 pm in the summer months.

The B&Bs are the best way to go. We took advantage of an Air Lingus package that included air fare, car rental, and vouchers for B&Bs. I recommend having the B&B for arrival and go from there. We called in the am for that evenings stay based on where the road was going to be taking us. We used the Tourist Boards guide and recommendations of the B&B owners and had great experiences. ("Purpose Built means just that, the B&B was built for that purpose; your best bet for private bath).

Avoid "Bankers Holiday". This is the Labor Day weekend of Ireland. We were trying to navigate the Ring of Kerry with locals towing along campers for a weekend get away. Not the ideal time, but it really was not a huge problem if you don't have a choice. It did make booking B&Bs a little more difficult.

If possible, try to have a B&B booked with a morning check-in for when you arrive. We had booked near the Shannon airport and were able to sleep a few hours before we started our adventure.

Most cars you will rent will be fine for 3 adults. We traveled with 4 without any trouble. We are heavy packers so I brought along a soft roof carrier we put on the car. This made life very easy and I have loaned it to others since then for their trips. I remember watching a family trying to fit themselves into a rather large car (about the size of a large american sedan) at the airport. They had hard side luggage and golf clubs. They finally had to rent a second car to fit all their stuff.

Best of luck! I'm getting ready now for twelve nights in Italy in February, but would go back to Ireland "in a heart beat". Keep checking this forum, I have found lots of great stuff for my next trip!