Ireland In October also

Search

Ireland In October also

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland In October also

Hi all, I will be traveling to Ireland in October. Wondering about the weather? We will be staying at the Woodstock Resort and Spa close to Ennis. I would love to have any and all info that will make this trip more enjoyable. Places to go, do and don'ts what to wear ETC
Thanking you all on advance
Jaye
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 02:29 PM

Saturday should be good for a trip to Galway: I don't know when the Oyster Festival is: but I like the Seafood Chowder at Garvey's on Eyre (AKA JFK) Square.

I've been in Ireland the first half of October; the weather was agreeable but the days were getting shorter quickly.

Ennis is my favorite spot, but I usually stay in the City at John Madden's Temple Gate Hotel or a 'close in' B&B; and when there, I am a regular at Cruise's Restaurant & Pub where there's Trad Irish Music every night.

Daytrips from Ennis could be to the Aran Islands (from Doolin), Doolin itself, Lahinch and the Cliffs of Moher; and the Lisdoonvarna Matchmaking Festival continues about a week into October.

Dromoland Castle would be a nice venue for lunch: not too far from Ennis and very impressive.
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 04:47 PM

We enjoyed Craggaunowen Project near Ennis, and of course Bunratty Folk Park and Castle. On the way to Galway you can check out Coole Park and Thoor Ballylee, and Dunguaire Castle. Just past Galway in Moycullen are Connemara Marble and Connemara Crystal.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies I will be passing this info on to my son also
Jaye
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 06:33 AM

Morin's Oyster Cottage outside of Galway is world renown and very historical. It's a must for fabulous food. If you get an early start you can make a day trip to the Connemara and possibly lunch at Ballynahinch Castle in Recess. It's near Cong (the Ashford Castle) where the Quiet Man was filmed with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara. You can also go south and take the Ferry across to the Dingle Peninsula. The ferry is only about 15-20 minute ride and the crossing is every 30 minutes. The Dingle Peninsula can be seen in 2-4 hours depending on your pace and there a pubs all along the way for a wonderful lunch. The Cliffs of Moher are breathtaking but can be very touristy (the same for Bunratty), alot of Coach tours and such. Plan on early morning visit or late afternoon to miss the crowds. We enjoyed the Craggaunowen Project, but had children with us on that trip. It is very historical and educational. give yourself plenty of time to relax in the evening at the pubs and enjoy visiting with the irish people. They are very gregarious and are happy to make suggestions for special places along the way to make your trip more memorable.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 07:03 AM

Agreeable should not be confused with what an American calls warm. Sweaters, long-sleeved shirts, a heavy-ish jacket. Closed-toe shoes. Maybe even gloves (I'm bringing a pair for roughly the same time frame-but I tend to be very chilly and my hands get cold easily).
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 11:25 AM

We were delighted to find the gardens still blooming in Ireland in October. The hedgerows are fushia and the rains are followed by rainbows, so keep your camera handy.

I was comfortable dressing in layers, long sleeved shirts and sweaters, but do recommend bringing along a raincoat or water repellent jacket as it was more damp than cold. A scarf and gloves would be good additions for early morning and evening hours.

Have a wonderful trip!