Ireland in 4 Days-please HELP

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to join a few friends in Ireland in the middle of July but have very limited time. 3 full days leaving on the fourth day. I can fly into either Shannon but with the time constraints I need some help. We would like to rent a car and do the countryside so I thought Dingle would be the best. I see though that it is all of 2 1/2 hours from Shannon Airport though. Is there anywhere to stop over night in between (I was considering Kenmare) that wont take us too out of our way? That would then give us two full days for Dingle. Then where should we base ourselves for the morning flight from Shannon on day 4? Rick Steve recommends Ennis, but we would love to stay in a castle hotel to go out with a bang! Lastly, I was reading about Connors Pass leading from Dingle to Cliffs of Moher. Would this be too over zealous to stop on our way out of dingle?

Thanks for all of your help. PS I am used to cramming a lot into a small amount of time (not by choice but I have young kids at home and cant stand to be a way from Europe for too long). I can also hit the road running and don't need the extra recovery from jet lag time. This will be my 12th country in 5 years.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 09:51 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Only have time for a quick comment right now . . . . you don't suffer from jet lag - OK. But, are you used to driving on the left on very narrow/slow roads?

You really only have 3 days (2 full days and possibly 2 half days) so you will want to concentrate on just one area or possibly a quick jaunt to a second.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your quick reply. I am not the one driving. My friend who has experience driving on the left side of the road and will have been there already will be picking me up at the Shannon airport.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 06:42 PM

From Shannon to Dingle can be done - without a stop over - I'd stay at Emlagh Lodge in Dingle - Maggie is great and reasonable priced.

We stayed at Bunratty Castle and Spa (NOT A CASTLE...next to it) in ennis - and it was nice -- glad we got a deal on it thought....

Good luck ... enjoy your trip -- I sure did!
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 03:21 AM

Kenmare is below Dingle, so it would take you even longer to get there from Shannon. If you want to do an overnight between Shannon and Dingle, Listowel would be a nice choice.
There are two roads into Dingle from the East. One goes through Annascaul, the other goes over the mountains and is called the Connor Pass. You would be mad to miss the views from the Connor Pass. I would recommend arriving in Dingle by one road and leaving by the other.