Search

Ireland: Help w/ 3 of our perfect days- Beara, Mizen & Sheep's Head

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland: Help w/ 3 of our perfect days- Beara, Mizen & Sheep's Head

Hi Everyone!
Part of our trip in Mid-April will be 3 nights in Glenariff and boy do I got's some questions...(sorry so long!)
<b><u>my plan-</u></b>
<b>Friday:</b> Killarney to Glenariff via Bonane (Molly Galivan's Trad. Farm),Gleninchaquin Park and the Healy Pass
<b>Saturday:</b> Self drive Beara (Dursey a must)
<b>Sunday:</b> Hired driver from Glenariff through Bantry, tour Mizen loop, tour Sheep's Head loop end back at Glenariff B&amp;B
<b>Monday:</b> Leave Glenariff for Castlegregory and the Shores via the N71

<b><u>Questions:</u></b>
1.How long will it take to get to Glenariff if we take the Healy Pass from just outside of Kenmare? Please tell me that there won't be a ton of traffic (twisty roads and sheep okay, do NOT want to add in traffic too!)

2. Self drive Beara- if we skip Healy 'cause we just did it the day before any ideas of the best way to drive around?

3. Sheep's Head...would love more info. about the (safer side)walk up to view at the end...just how hard a trek is it?

4. Any thoughts of stops/areas I should tell our driver that can't be missed?

5. Glenariff to Castlegregory- your thoughts on direction...continue on the N71 back through Killarney and up or the N70 and smaller roads?

Thanks a ton!
Dawn
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 07:40 PM

Dawn,
For Sheep's Head and Mizen Head, see OSI Discovery Series Map #88:

When you head for the Sheep's Head, take the Goat's Path out of Bantry. It will take you up, over Suifinn Mountain and into Kilcrohane. Park at the little car park/picnic area at the ridge for magnificent views both north, to Bearra and south, to Mizen. It's called Fionn Mac Chumhail(Finn MacCool)'s Seat. There is also a nice replica of the Pieta, erected in 1968. There are two, seperate rest stops on BOTH sides of the ridgeline, only a few feet apart. From there, the road into Kilcrohane looks like a 'mini' Healey Pass.

The trip from Kilcrohane to the Sheep's Head Visitor's Center can take as little as 10 minutes, or over an hour, depending upon how man time you turn off, to drive dow to the assorted strands and docks along the way. Watch for the Martello Towers and notice that they also dot the shores of Bearra and Mizen.
The walk from the Visitor's Center, at Tooreen out to the end of Sheep's Head doesn't seem as far or as strenuous as the hike out to the end of Mizen Head, but we didn't attempt it so I'm only guessing based on appearance. If the Center is open, check out the nifty Sheep's Head Way tee shirts, if closed - likely, this time of year, (It being the Off season, and all!)stop into the petrol station/shop/ post office, JF O'Mahony's in Kilcrohane (just down on the RH side, after you turn left, off the Goat's Path, at the Star of the Sea Catholic Church, as they MAY have a few on offer. Give my regards to the proprietess. Tell her Bob and Pat that stayed at John Tobin's last April wish we could bring them ANOTHER week of Florida weather, this April.
If you drive out to Durrus, stop in Ahakista an see the Air India Memorial (unless, like my wife, you're too squeamish).
If you want to 'save' Durrus for your trip to the Mizen, there are a couple of narrow backroads after Ahakista that will route you through Gortalease (where there is Glanlough). That route will reconnect you with the Goat's Path.

Got more if you want it...

Bob
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 07:47 PM

Also,
I posted a reply to your Carrowkeel info request on the other thread, but...
I have the OSI Discovery Series Map #25, which shows the Carrowkeel sites in detail. Let me know if you need the info on that.

Bob
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 07:55 PM

12perfectdays, You may want to know that Glenariff is in Northern Ireland. Glengarriff is in Co. Cork. Add a &quot;G&quot; to that town!
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 08:25 PM

Hi 12perfectdays,
We hiked to the end of Sheepshead several years ago. It was very, very easy. In fact, my 74 y-o MIL was with us and it was easy for her as well. My son and I (he was 11) marveled at the ancient stone circle at the point. After a while we figured out it was a helicopter landing pad.

At the parking lot, after our little hike, there was a tea trailer and a picnic table. 2 ladies were there selling apple and rhubarb pies with tea. Yum! I just wish every hike in American had a tea trailer at the end.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 12:28 AM

Dawn...I've been &quot;Looking&quot; for you!!! I have another post with the heading &quot;12perfect Days..Dawn in here please&quot; (or something like that....)..

Remember me, Shadow from Ireland 2005? (on your flights?) I saw another of your posts that you are headed back to Ireland!! That is great!!

Just found out my husband and I are going in April too!! Leaving 4/18 and coming back 4/29...we are going to see my mom in Co. Roscommon first for a few days then joining a tour group that my cousin in running (he works for CIE)....we are sponsoring a tour in September so this will give us an idea of what it will be like..and, it was a great deal!! We are not usually tour people...just doing the one in Sept. with a lot of friends and family....

I am not the expert on the areas you are asking about...in fact, one of these trips I'd like to explore those areas!!

Shadow
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 01:51 AM
Original Poster

IrishEyes- Glen<b>G</b>ariff
How right you are...my bad. Glenariff is where we were heading when I was thinking to change my itinerary to the north. Last trip I was constantly mixing Killkenny and Killarney.
(Trust me, I've done much worse...try being married to a 'Taylor' with a brother named 'Tyler')! LOL

Shadow! OMG!!! Great to hear from you!!!!
Never saw the thread- sorry. We are just missing each other this time. DH really didn't want to have to go back to work 16hrs after arriving home again so we are heading back (much to my chagrin) on Friday.

We will be in Ireland from the 9th-27th and are doing Bunratty, Killarney (revisit for DH), Beara, Dingle (my revisit pick), Oughterard, Westport, Sligo and Dublin ending (for day trips)

I wish we were sharing a flight again this time, would have been fun to meet your DH! Great to hear from you- did a scrapbook page of &quot;meeting people&quot; in Ireland and have that picture of you and I in the Dublin airport there...makes a great story!

I have bookmarked the looking for me thread- keep in touch and lemme know how your trip goes!

Dawn
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 05:38 AM

The dificulty of the walk on sheepshead is entirely based on the weather. (I don't know how I issed the visitor center. I've been there twice.) The trail can be rather muddy, but it is pretty level and not very long.

My only concern with your plan is that it decides in advance what days you will do everything and your big plan to walk Sheepshead may be the worst weather. I like to play those by ear.

Here is a picture of the sign with the schedule for the Dursey island ferry.

http://www.obeirnetravels.com/pict0061.jpg

Hope this helps.

Bill
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Hi I.C.
Thank you so much for all of the info and time. As for more…yes! I would love it if you have the time!

I did see your return post on Carrowkeel. Thanks for the map and links there (great info ) I will bring a copy of that with me and as you suggested look for more in Westport. It seems as if one of the links says it is signposted. I am just concerned on finding it.

As for the tour of Mizen and Sheep’s Head, it will all be happening in one day. The Glengariff company I connected to has a driver that grew up in the area. My plan is to be sure he understands that we don’t want the “quickie highlights for the picture book” tour and I want to be sure we end up seeing, stopping and walking about.

For maps I only have my Michelin Ireland and Collins road atlas…as we will have a driver/guide do you think the OSI is a must? If so, do I just get the maps for the area I need? Is there a set that covers it all??? Suggestion?

<b>Wojazz-</b>
Thanks, found info. you gave last year to someone re. Brow Head and the old Coast Guard station and may use as an option over the Mizen lighthouse. As for Sheep's Head- thanks for the further info. on the trek as I was concerned not with time but uneven ground (Dun Aengus on Inis Mor seems to be my max)

As for weather- we are up for the trip either day and can switch should we need to although we are still limited to the 2 days. Thanks for the picture link too!

Any thoughts on Glengariff to Castlegregory?

Dawn
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 08:11 AM

Dawn:

I actually think the view from Brow Head is more spectacular than Mizen. I just left a return note about Carrowkeel also on the same post. Again though, here is a link to my page where I talk about it.

http://www.geocities.com/obeirne_ire...westport_3.htm

I think the N71 from basically Bantry and up over Caha Pass is a wonderful drive. There are a couple options on tiny little roads to Barley Lake, but that might be a bit much. Another option is from Kenmare, go north to Molls Gap and then head west and thake the road over Ballaghbeama Gap. Again a small road but beautiful scenery and very few others on the road. The turns get a bit confusing as you approach Lough Caragh. But it's not impossible. Not many people travel this road and it's well worth the drive. You'll come back to the N70 between Glenbeigh and Killorglin.

Bill
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 03:34 PM

Bill: The 'Visitor's Center' at Sheep's Head is a small (12x14???)building that looked newly erected in April of '06. Then, it was only open for a couple of hours on Sunday afternoon -- 'It being the off-season, and all', so we didn't go in or check it out too closely. I think it was just a basic souvineer shop/snack bar, maybe an UPGRADE from the old 'tea trailer'...

Dawn:
The OSI area maps are THE BEST. They come in 89 different sections, at 1:50 000 and show every house, antiquity and footpath, BUT...

There are EIGHTY-NINE of them, at a cost of about 8-10 euro, EACH, so you don't want or need a full set...
Just to encompass Ivereagh, Beara, Sheep and Mizen Head, you would need FIVE different maps...
A good alternative is the OSI spiral bound map book that I spotted at the TOPS Shop in the arrivals Hall at Shannon for 12 Euro 70 (I think). Not as much detail as the individual maps, but VERY convenient to cart around.

Vis-a-vis Sheep's Head and Mizen, if you are hiring a local driver, I'd suggest you go with HIS advice as to routes and must-see spots.

Having said THAT, I WOULD suggest approaching Sheep's Head over the Goat's Path (or exiting, if you 'do' Mizen FIRST). I also PREFER the NORTH to SOUTH views (Laraugh to Adrigole)of Healy Pass on the Beara, if that tells you 'where MY head is at'...

On Mizen (weather permitting)there is a large car park from which you can hike out to the sand beach at BarleyCove. It near the junction where you chose to continue toward Mizen Head or head south to Crookhaven (worth a stop for lunch - if you get there between 12 and 2, that is..

Like you don't have enough to do, getting ready for your trip, but here's the link to my April '06 visit to that area:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34787168

Bob
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 01:24 AM
Original Poster

<b><u>Bill- </u></b>Thanks, I had seen the link on the other post re: Carrowkeel and forgot to mention it. Recall reading of that trip when you posted it although this time around I re-read the Westport postings with detailed attention (LOL on the Donkey Farm)!

I have made note to talk to driver re: Brow Head and as to going from Glengariff to Castlegregory I think we will go for it. What DH doesn't know until the navigator tells him...
(N71 to Moll's Gap, West onto the R568, north thru Ballaghbeama Gap to Killorglin, Castlemaine West onto the R561 and then to Camp and the R560 to Castlegregory from there)

<u>One last question:</u>
Do you know if the road from Aughils to Camp is accessable or do we need to take the N86 after Inch beach up to Camp? (My older map shows major roadwork)

<u><b>Bob- </b></u>Thanks, I have reread that portion of your trip report and made some notes. I do plan to trust our driver but want to go prepared so he knows that I don't want the generic 'point and shoot' tour.

As for the Healy Pass- just how bad is it? (I have visions of something like trying to maneuver a car through the Gap of Dunloe) DH, as a driver by trade does great driving Ireland but considers every moment as work- I want to be prepared!

I do think that I will purchase that OSI spiral book and may look into one of the Iveragh OSI maps to help with the &quot;shortcut&quot; to Castlegregory.

Bill &amp; Bob- you are really kind and I thank you for all of the help here and through all of your postings and trip reports. Some of those &quot;perfect days&quot; are due in part to you both!
Dawn
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 12:46 PM

Thanks for your kind words (Pity, MY wife might be of a DIFFERENT opinion!!)

The OSI maps of Ivereagh are #78, #84 and # 83. You would probably want the #78 map for the &quot;shortcut&quot;. Likewise, Carrowkeel is toward the bottom of the #25.
MOST of the individual OSI maps are available at the TI in Shannon Arrivals Hall (over near the entrance to the pub).

I can't remember the EXACT location on Sheep's Head, but the OLD church ruin/ cemetary is an interesting stop. It's on the Dunmanus Bay side, somewhere NEAR to Kilcrohane...

The Healy Pass is IMPRESSIVE, as in high, rugged and serviced by sharp, hairpin switchbacks, but it is neither as potentially dangerous as Connor Pass, Nor is it particularly heavily traveled. When we drove it in April of '01, I think I (maybe) saw no more than three or four other cars (and two fanatical German bicyclists) the entire trip through.

Dunno about the construction on the Annascaul to Camp road, but in addition to the route from Inch, there is yet, one other road that turns off about 2/3rds of the way BETWEEN Castlemaine and Inch, that might actually be shorter, but I've never driven it.

FYI: At the intersection of all three routes in Camp, there is supposed to be a Ring Fort, but I didn't have any luck sighting it when I was there in '01, or in '04...

Enjoy __

Bob
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 12:07 PM

My reply from the OTHER Beara thread:

&quot;In my opinion (and I verified this with my wife's impression) the Conor Pass is MORE unnerving than the Healy. Our recollection of the Healy is that it was much WIDER and OPEN than the Conor, where the steep mountainside presses against one side of the road and the STEEP 'drop-off' lines the other.
We haven't driven the Conor since the road work has been done, though. Also, we DO remember that the top of Healy was REALLY windy...&quot;

Bob

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 01:17 PM

Try these Beara info sites:

http://www.bearainfo.com/

Another nice one:

http://www.westcorktravel.com/Drives...aPeninsula.htm

Be sure to 'click' on the 'More Pictures' link for nice views of Healy Pass and the coast road.

http://www.12travel.com/ie/attractions/ringofbeara.html

Click through to 'Maps'.

Bob
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks I.C.
I had not come across the West Cork Travel site before, nor did I remember seeing the Maps link on the 12travel.

I have made note of the OSI maps for our (ahem) &quot;shortcut&quot; from Glengariff to the Shores.

I think once in Shannon and a run through the ATM I shall head directly to grab the spiral OSI and #78, also hoping they have a SIM chip &amp; minutes we can buy (I recall reading a thread recently that said Vodaphone no longer has a kiosk in Shannon airport?)

Greatly assured by your comparison of Healy vs. Connor Pass as I have promised DH that I will (gulp) ~gt; drive from Gleninchaquin Park to Glengariff via Healy.

Hmmm- will look for that Ring Fort in the Camp cross sections as well and let'cha know

Dawn
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 12:35 PM

Hi Dawn--
we are headed to Glengarriff from Kenmare andhope hopefully to Castletownebere before heading back to Shannon. We won't have a car and other transport seems almost non-existent. Any advice plus the names of your drivers would be great. How much did you pay etc. We just want to get to each of these places, no tours because we want to walk or bike. Let me know. thanks so much. Glad you had the 'perfect' time.