Ireland for 8 nights --help needed FAST

Old Jun 19th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland for 8 nights --help needed FAST

We are leaving for Ireland on July 2nd - our first trip there and we are so excited. Following, is our itinerary. I know it is a lot of moving about, but we pack light and like to see as much as possible. I really need LODGING ADVISE and critiques on my city choices. We really like to see the small towns, and love to be near the water.

Arrive in Shannon 5:45AM --thinking of Ballinalacken Castle for the first night.
( 1 1/2 days of sight seeing in Doolin and the Burren)

Killimer Ferry and night #2 in Dingle Penn. - should we side trip to Adare?

Killarney for nights #3 and #4 ( Gap of Dunloe and enjoying the lake area)

Kenmare and the ring of Kerry for #5 ( Beara Penn and should we see Kinsale?)

Head to Cashel for night #6 ( should we also try and get to Glendalough?)

Dublin for last 2 nights. ( how do I find out about folk song pub crawls?)

Thank you so much --this forum is such a fun help!
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 07:37 AM

My wife and I just returned from our two week trip in Ireland. We traveled from Galway to Doolin and drove through the Burren and stayed at the Roadford House. The best thing about staying in Doolin is that you can walk to the pubs in the evening however, if you are staying at the Castle you will have to drive.

You can stop off at Glendalough on the way into Dublin and I suggest you return your car before arriving in Dublin as you won't need it. You can get all the info you need about the pub crawls at the Tourist Info Center close to Grafton street.
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

What car rental agency did you use? WHERE do you suggest we return the car "outside" of Dublin as that is a great idea? Do you have lodging suggestions for Dublin?
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 08:14 AM

Why bother to move between Killarney and Kenmare? They're only 30-45 minutes or so apart. Not worth un/re-packing and moving to a new place.
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Yes--I am rethinking this. However--should we locate in Kenmare or Killarney? Is 3 days too much for this area? I think the Gap of Dunloe is a full day. Any lodging suggestions in Kenmare? I was looking a the the Sallyport House.
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 08:40 AM

We rented from AutoEurope and picked the car up at Shannon airport and dropped the car off at Dublin airport. We stayed at the Brooks hotel which was the only hotel we stayed in during our trip. It was a really good hotel--very close to Grafton street and close to everything. We chose not to take the breakfast as their are many cafes nearby. I agree with jent103 about moving. We stayed in Dingle for two nights at the Greeenmount House (loved it) and then 2 nights in Kenmare taking two days to drive the ROK. Kenmare is a really quaint place with several pubs and some nice restaurants. You can check out my report on this forum however, I haven't written yet about our last two days in Dublin yet.
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 10:15 AM

"Is 3 days too much?" - depends on what interests you in the area. Personally, I would add one night to Dingle (I loved it) and stay in Kenmare two nights. The Gap of Dunloe is indeed most of a day, assuming you're talking about hiking it. (We took the Deros tour, which I highly recommend - they drop you off at Kate Kearney's cottage, you walk or take a jaunting cart through the Gap, and they meet you at Lord Brandon's and take you across the three lakes in a boat.) There's also much more to the Park, plus attractions like Muckross House and Ross Castle, and you already know about the Beara Peninsula.

I didn't find the town of Killarney all that great to stay in (fine, but nothing exciting to me personally). We visited Kenmare and I wished we'd stayed there. It's not quite as convenient for the Gap tour, but the town itself is very pretty and seemed to have lots of restaurants, etc.
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 04:03 PM

Yor are boardering on the "green blur" tour but I'll take your word for it that you like to move fast. But day #2 is going to be the Burren and the drive to Dingle. Allow day #3 for Dingle Penninsula, arriving at your next stop that evening.

I'd either spend that night in Killarney -- or spend a 2nd night in Dingle and go on to Kenmare (allowing a stop en route in the Killarney area -- although you may want to go back that way again the next day)

Don't think I' try to go to Glendalough on night #6 -- maybe Kilkenny and then stop at Glendalough on way into Dublin?
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 01:26 AM

Check out the Willie Clancy Memorial Summer School: music & dance in/around Miltown Malbay. You might be able to fit it in on your 1.5 days in West Clare.

I wouldn't backtrack to Adare (Co. Limerick). It would make your drive to the Dingle Peninsula from Tarbert too long.
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

ok--so does looks a bit better?
1 night in Doolin
1 night in Dingle
3 nights in Kenmare
1 night in Cashel and
2 night in Dublin

I am still struggling with lodging ideas for Kenmare (Sallyport House?) Cashel and Dublin.

thanks!
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 03:43 AM

Sallyport House is a nice B&B and within easy walking of town. If you wanted to splurge - The Park Hotel is a lovely luxury hotel in the town with a beautiful spa. Obviously would be more expensive so it would depend on your budget
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 04:10 AM

You are going to love Ireland. On my first trip, we drove the Ring of Kerry and on the second trip we drove the Beara Peninsula. If you have time to drive only one of these two, I recommend the Beara. Much smaller roads and NO Tour Buses!!

Also, Dingle is wonderful and I recommend 2 nights there. To give adequate time to everything as you drive around the Dingle Peninsula, you will be tired so staying a second night is suggested. You will want time during the drive to just set and comtemplate the beauty. We stayed at Dunlavin Guesthouse while in Dingle.

As a first timer to Ireland, its difficult to plan time-wise because to see beautiful small towns you will be on very small roads so driving times are much longer than you think.

As cathycom suggested above, having your lodging within walking distance of dining options is good planning because at the end of the day of driving, you will be happy to be out of the car and walking. Enjoy!
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 06:28 AM

Here's my suggested itinerary:
1 night in Doolin (Roadford House for B & B and dinner.
2 nights in Dingle (Greenmount House)
2 nights in Kenmare. When driving from Dingle I would suggest to go through Killgorglin and stop for lunch. Then proceed clockwise and spend some time in the gap of dunloe, Ross Castle, Muckross House and into Kenmare. The next day I would explore ROK leaving early in the morning.
1 night in Killkenny. Drive Kenmare to Cashel and see Rock of Cashel. Drive to Killkenny (see the Killkenny Castle but must get there before 4:30 before last tour). Killkenny has lots of restaurants and pubs
2 nights in Dublin. Leave Killkenny early stopping off at Glendalough.
Hope this helps.
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 06:56 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Moving fast really isn't an option. If nothing else - the roads simply don't allow it. mostly in the 35 mph range give or take.

plus a one night stop doesn't mean you have a day in the area. You generally spend half a day getting there and then have to pack and leave the next AM.

Allyboy's plan is a good mix of covering a fair bit of territory and only two one-nighters.

BTW - if it was me - I'd spend more time in the west and either cut Dublin completely or just stay the last night before flying out. Nothing wrong w/ the city as cities go - but it definitely isn't my favorite and there is sooooooo much to see in W/SW Ireland.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

WOW --thank you for the input. This is what we have:

1 night in Doolin @ Ballinalacken Castle
2 nights in Dingle @ Heatons B & B
2 nights in Kenmare - not sure where
Head to Dublin by way of Kinsale and south eastern coast. Has anyone been to Ballyhack as we were thinking of our 7th night there.
Dublin by way of Glendolough
2 nights in Dublin.
SOund good??

I really need help with Dublin lodging. The Butlers townhouses look awesome but are $350 ! I'd like to stay in that city center but for closer to $200.

Thanks ina advance for the help.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 09:07 AM

danen-- check venere.com for hotel options in Dublin city centre. That said, Dublin is one very busy city in the summer, so best of luck! Consider staying near the airport and shuttle to the city; convenient for departure. Lastminute.com may help you with that.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

We have never seen Dublin. Should we resturcture and just stay the one night? We wanted to to the on and off bus and a folk song pub crawl. HOWEVER --we do NOT like big cities.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 10:17 AM

What time does your plane leave DUB? It sounds like you have a half day + evening of things you'd like to do in the city. If your plane leaves in the morning, but you can get into Dublin early enough the afternoon before to do to HOHO bus that afternoon -- OR if your plane leaves late enough that you can do the HOHO bus that morning before leaving -- then I would have only one night in Dublin. (While I have nothing particularly against Dublin, I spend as little as time there as I can. Too much to see elsewhere!)
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

I am back to thinking allaboy has the best itinerary. So--any tips on staying in Kilkenny??
Sorry to vasilate so much, but now I feel really good about this itineray. Thanks.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 01:05 PM

We're staying at Butler Court next month; Butler House looked very nice and I liked the proximity to Castle...but it's pricier.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -