Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ireland Experts...Can you give two areas to spend several days (each) in Ireland?

Ireland Experts...Can you give two areas to spend several days (each) in Ireland?

Mar 20th, 2002, 01:03 PM
travelmom

We're planning a spring trip to Ireland, traveling with kids. We'll probably try to split our 8-10 days between two areas. We're considering Dingle/Waterford areas, or Dingle/Galway areas. Would these be good central locations to have plenty to do within a reasonable drive each day? Any better suggestions for two areas?

Mar 20th, 2002, 01:53 PM
marylouise

We went to Ireland 2 years ago with our then 13 y/o son and 9 y/o daughter and had a great trip that we all remember fondly.We'd all go back in a second!
We stayed 6 nights in a fully equipped 4 bedroom cottage overlooking ocean and mountains in Castlegregory on the Dingle Peninsula. We could walk to the beach. The house cost only 200 US dollars for the last week in June. We didn't "daytrip" off-peninsula as much as we had planned because: 1.Distance (time-wise) due to slower roads and 2. there was a lot to see right where we were. It was beautiful! Some things we did that were fun for all:
Pony-trekking on the beach
Tarbert ferry crossing over River Shannon as we made our way from CO Clare to Dingle.
Gorgeous views from Conor Pass and Sleahead Drive...(yes the kids were impressed .too!)
Exploring ancient forts,beehive huts
Aquarium in Dingle
Daytrip to Killarny Natl Park
Sitting in pubs listening to Irish language as we ate economical & tasty meals.
Exploring Dingletown
Other things we didn't get to do but were available:
Steam train ride in Tralee
Time-travel car ride in Tralee
Boat to the Blasket Islands
Boat to see Fungie the dolphin
As you can see,Dingle Peninsula offered plenty!

We B&B'd in Cahir and saw the Rock of Cashel,Cahir Castle. We B&B'd in Dublin and did the hop-on/hop-off bus tour, visited the Dublin Zoo,the Viking Museum,among other things.

The kids are great travelers, anyway, but in addition to all the "things" we did they truly got a kick out of the novelty of being in another country.
The accents,the money (they spent some Irish pounds in an arcade in Salthill,Galway),the geography,driving on the left (heard Dad mutter a few words they hadn't heard him say at home!) I had been apprehensive before going that it was more of an adult destination....but during the trip my son was puzzled as to why two Irish folks asked him if he was bored. I guess that says it all.
Have a wonderful trip!

Mar 20th, 2002, 02:04 PM
seamus

Dingle Peninsula or Killarney (depending on time of year) and Connemara near Clifden. Wouldn't take kids to Dublin.

Mar 20th, 2002, 02:08 PM
travelmom

It would be in April. We are a little concerned that the Dingle Peninsula won't have as much going for it that time of year, but we are limited by our schedule. Is Dingle still a recommendation?

Mar 20th, 2002, 03:14 PM
Bill

My choices would be Dingle - Killarney / Galway - Connemarra area based on what you're talking about. I would stay in Kenmare while in the 1st area. But that's me. I like mountains and oceans.

And yes, still go to Dingle. You'll find plenty to do.

Bill

Mar 20th, 2002, 03:18 PM
travelmom

Thanks to all for the great recommendations...this is exactly what I was looking for. Happy travels!