Ireland-drive on left or right?

Old May 28th, 1998, 08:39 AM
scott

Ireland-drive on left or right?

i've never been to ireland and am renting a car. just wondering if they drive on left like the english.

Old May 28th, 1998, 10:25 AM
Bill

Left.
By the way, where are you planning to go? We're going in August and plan to stay in the West and Southwest (Cork, Kerry, Clare).
I've noticed that you save a good bit of $ if you rent a car with manual trans instead of an automatic. I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble of learning how to shift with my left hand.
Regards,
- Bill

Old May 28th, 1998, 12:20 PM
bob Brown

I have a further question about the "stick shifts"
in the Britain/Ireland driving game.
Does one press the clutch with the "wrong" foot?

After learning to drive in 1950 with a clutch pressed with the left foot, I am not sure how well I would do trying to switch feet. I think I could do OK until a crisis; then I would revert to old skills, which would be perfectly wrong.

I am sure there are a few hundred fodors readers out there who can give some very valuable advice on this
subject. There is some great stuff to be learned by
asking the right questions.

Old May 28th, 1998, 12:34 PM
doug

just got back from ireland drove about a 1000 miles. as one irishman told me on the plan just make sure you drive on the "right" side of the round, just like he had to learn to drive on "right" side in us.
yes a standard tran. is a lot cheaper. all the pedals set up just like in us. no big deal driving on "right" side after a couple days. what you may not get use to is the narrow roads and the speed that they drive. some roads no wider than a typical driveway and the speed can be up to 50 mph. got my driver side and passenger side mirrors bent back a couple of times, while driving. also look out for the trucks standard size trailer trucks it can get close at times. i found if i just take my time and let the faster cars go by its ok. by the way in ireland their "right" side of the road is on the left. have a blast on your trip i did. if you have any questions feel free to email.
doug

Old May 28th, 1998, 01:17 PM
Richard

Seconding Doug's message, the clutch is on the left, brake on the right, also the shift pattern is the same as here. Check the shift pattern before you start, and don't be embarassed the first time you go to the left side of the car to slip behind the wheel, pretend you're just opening the door for your passenger. Drive slowly, exit and enter the roundabouts from the left and stay on the left on the motorways. When backing out, e.g. from a driveway, your instincts are wrong, look left, then right. A lot of roads are pretty narrow, we had our bikes with us on the back of the car and the bikes were wider than the car. Ireland is a lovely country and you'll enjoy the drive.

Old May 28th, 1998, 06:26 PM
Mavis

I found I got the most confused when turning a corner on opposite corner. I just kept remembering that as the driver I was always on the center line - seemed to help me when I had those few milli-seconds of confusion. The challenge for me was turning a corner while driving a standard in a rainstorm. Between shifting, signalling, putting on the wipers, I was in big trouble. I don't think I ever dared put the radio on.

Old May 29th, 1998, 04:48 AM
Terrell

Watch those pints in the bars. The only problem I've had driving in Ireland was following a brief encounter with Mr. Guinness. Just one pint and I forgot which side was the "right" side until I saw the headlights coming at me. My first reaction was to blame them. Luckily I avoided collision -- I had a priest on board, so undoubtedly divine intervention.

Old May 30th, 1998, 05:24 AM
david

Driving in the Republic of Ireland can indeed be a challenge, but the roads are improving all the time. I've been driving in Ireland for a good while and find that an auto. trannie is a real convenience. Granted, you'll pay a good deal more than a manual shift, but prospective car renters should consider an alternarive rental agency for large savings over the better known American companies, i.e., Hertz, Avis. This summer my wife and I will be renting from Euro Car. Not only have we found large savings with this company, but we'll be able to receive our car in Belfast and return it to Dublin two weeks later. try doing that with the U.S. big guys!